1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A very heartening tale BioEM and I am genuinely pleased for you that you've found employment that you find fulfilling, rewarding and most of all enjoyable. After 16 years as a teacher you were just the sort of valuable human resource that our educational system desperately needs to keep hold of but with the way that the experienced, hence more expensive teachers are treated I don't blame anyone for moving on. Good luck in your new post and by applying some of those skills and commitment you put into teaching, opportunities for advancement may soon turn up. All the best.

JosieWhitehead and agathamorse like this.
  2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Encouraging. I’m earning a decent amount now, and if I left I’d not only have to forsake the long holidays, but the weeks I’ve spent abroad happily spending all my money.

All seems ideal, but:

...how many weeks of the holidays have I spent doing some work, or at least thinking about it?
    ...how many days during term have I left at 5pm and thought ‘right, that’s it, no more til tomorrow!’ and not regretted it?
    ... when was the last time I actually enjoyed a full weekend? (five years ago I think)
    ...what’s the point in paying all that rent to live in a nice house in a good part of town when I spend more time at work than in this place?
    ...how many times have I been abroad, doing something expensive in a lovely place, and not enjoyed it as for some reason I’ve started worrying about school?

...am I spending all my money just to convince myself “ah yes I’ve got a good job and can afford nice things?”

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

What a truly lucky man!!! I only wish the teachers here in the UK were all so happy.

esther30 likes this.
  4. d_fahey

d_fahey New commenter

I left after 26 years. Now I am a TA 2 days a week which I absolutely love, I teach one day primary PPA cover then I have 2 days left over to do supply or not. I can stay at home and potter and look after the dog! I am eternally grateful to the wonderful tessers here who got me through some very dark times last year. Couldn't have done it without them. My other half is also so supportive. Not a teacher and is nonplussed by all the rubbish we as professionals put up with. I learnt the hard way recently that life is too short to have your mind anywhere else but on being happy and healthy. I have zero regrets at all, perhaps just that I didn't do this earlier. I love being frugal and happy. I have time now for my own 2 teenagers, who I'm discovering are wonderful kids now I have more time to spend with them. Life has a way of working out but it's a leap of faith for teachers who sometimes run themselves ragged and can't see the wood for the trees.

henrypm0, Sinnamon, woollani and 3 others like this.
  5. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Inspirational thread

6. JosieWhitehead

Ha ha - I'm paid whether I want it or not (pension), so I have time to do something I enjoy, ie writing poems that children love and I have learned how to make my own websites (5). I was a lucky one, though, as I taught secretarial subjects and so, should I have not enjoyed teaching (which I loved), I could easily have got work anywhere. I'm not sure if these subjects are taught any more, so can't advise you. I'm so sorry to read what has happened to you though. Do let us know what you decide to do. We'll be thinking of you.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. hazelksmith2

hazelksmith2 New commenter

How did he go about this? I'm considering leaving teaching and would love to do a job like this in the NHS

8. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I dig post holes, put up fences and fill pot hones with tarmac. All of which gives me more job satisfaction than anything I ever did in 12 years of teaching.

9. lilita

lilita New commenter

What alternative jobs can you get with teaching?

10. Fluffy_Koala

Fluffy_Koala New commenter

I have experience in management for nearly 2 years and I left at the end of the summer term (awful, vile place and headteacher). I am starting my new job in a small start up as one of their managers tomorrow!!

We have a lot of transferable skills. Big corporations won’t always recognise them but smaller companies too (they also don’t want to hire someone expensive who might have more experience in that field). Smaller companies also mean faster career progression (if lucky).

SundaeTrifle, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  11. hlouisebranch

hlouisebranch New commenter

Best thing ever leaving. Started a dog walking grooming and care business. Now trialling and breeding dogs as well. Massive waiting lists for all services. I have got fitter, healthier and happier.

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.
  12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

13. JosieWhitehead

What I'm doing today is signing a contract and my 5th poem will be in the hands of Oxford University Press. I hope they pay me. :) Tomorrow I'll be doing some gentle exercises with friends and having coffee, but the best part of my day is helping the granddaughter of a friend with her English - and she lives in Shanghai. How she LOVES looking out of our window at the beautiful Yorkshire countryside and the ducks on the lawn instead of at a city street and thousands of people in Shanghai. She does it via skype. Isn't it great to live in the modern age . . . . . sometimes!

14. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I left a permanent teaching job after 11 years as I had lost all love for the job. I left to teach abroad, in the hopes that it would be better. It wasn't. I think I was unlucky though, as many people have had such positive experiences abroad. My school was awful, no two-ways about it. I am now day-to-day supplying. I do not want to do this long-term, it is currently just to pay the bills.
    I have tried for admin jobs, office manager, accounts assistant, marketing assistant and I'm just not getting anywhere.

15. JosieWhitehead

It does sound lovely. I think that once you've been a teacher and like children, it is great to be involved with them again when you're retired. In fact I volunteered, as many do, to go into my local schools for one hour a week to help. It was there that I met children who encouraged me to write for them and if you test your work out weekly with the children for whom you write, you know immediately whether it is something they love or not and they often supplied the next subject or story for my next poem too. It was nice for them to feel part of something creative - and especially nice for me. I loved it.

BioEm likes this.
  16. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Fully retired now. Stopped full time at 50, worked about three months a year doing supply for 5 years, jacked it all in fully at 55. Since 50, most of my time has been spent doing a mix of things, depending on the weather (I need sun and blue sky or get depressed) but include learning German properly, learning to ski, getting back into cycling, a lot of travelling mainly in Asia, many trips on budget airlines off season to Austria, Hungary etc for Opera (In Vienna, you can see world class opera for 3 Euros if you don’t mind queuing), spending more time with elderly parents, walking across Spain 4 times, and other long distance walks in Turkey and Scotland, seeing more of the UK like the Lakes, three months in Orkneys, Shetland and Western Isles, decorating the house slowly but surely, one room at a time, doing voluntary work in poor schools in Asia for a few months at a time, and generally sobbing at home, seeing friends down the pub, bonking, reading and watching films. Off to Myanmar again in December for six weeks followed by Bangladesh.

Happy days.

JosieWhitehead, agathamorse and BioEm like this.
  17. JosieWhitehead

I also learned German and also Italian when I retired. Strangely enough I have never been to Germany, yet, but I find this language so useful. When we go to a sunny spot in the winter, it's there that I find lots and lots of Germans who enjoy practising their English with me whilst I practise my German with them. Oh, this is the best time to learn a language I'm sure. As for the Italian - well, I've made some of my very best friends because of studying Italian.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. msalisbury1990

msalisbury1990 New commenter

I handed in my notice after 3 years of teaching and now I’m retraining to become a chartered accountant. Working full time and studying is challenging at times, but even with that my work/life balance is so much better and I love my new job. If anyone is thinking of leaving, these are some things I did which worked for me:

1) Write a list of your skills and interests (preferably with someone else as teachers can be a self-deprecating bunch, due to constant observations and book scrutinies!) and then see which jobs/careers match up. Randomly applying for anything you see on a job board which ‘looks a bit interesting’ will get you nowhere!

2) Write a proper CV. You may not have had to do one for years, as teaching posts are often application form-based, so get some help doing it so that it appeals to whichever industry you’ve decided to go for.

3) Once you’ve narrowed things down a bit, reach out to your friendship network to try and find out if anyone has experience in that industry or knows someone who does, then talk to them about it. Think about whether your younger self would go into teaching if you could time travel and tell them about the reality - maybe not! This is a big step and you need to go into it with your eyes wide open.

4) Try to arrange some work experience/shadowing during the school holidays. I know that when it gets to the holidays you’re feeling shattered, but believe me it will be worth it in the long run! It opens so many doors, even if you only get a week’s worth.

Those 4 things made such a big difference for me. Suddenly I went from being ignored to getting interviews, and once you get an interview you can show off all the transferable skills you’ve gained from teaching. I really admire those of you who have stuck with and love teaching, and also those who have left! At the end of the day, we have to do whatever is best for our own health, wellbeing and enjoyment.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Wavewarrior

Wavewarrior New commenter

I left teaching after 17 years, retrained and I now work in an environmental role in the offshore oil industry.
    It’s quite an extreme change of circumstances, but my salary is better than teaching and I travel the world at short notice.
    The other day as I sat in the business lounge of a 5 star hotel in a city in the Middle East, I have to say I thought of my previous head of school, and felt extremely smug. Good luck !

20. vidhighumra

vidhighumra New commenter

Hi midlander
    Do you still work in an educational charity? Would be grateful for some guidance regarding the same.
    Please could you share your email?
    Kind regards
    Vidhi