1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex Teachers! What do you do now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Laurenstuart, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Laurenstuart

Laurenstuart New commenter

Hi,

I left teaching about a year ago and tbh honest I've been doing rubbish jobs since. I would like a decent job, even something education related but I'm actually finding that the only thing my degree and experience will let me do at the minute is teach!

I'm looking to buy my first home so would like to be in a permanent post. That's why at the minute I don't want to tutor or do supply. I'm interested in puting my qualifications to use and would like something with a decent wage.

What are any ex teachers working as at the moment?

Thanks! Xx

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Retired - only work that i do is exam marking. So not really helpful to you.

You may need to look away from education, but it will depend upon your skills.

Piranha likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Many teachers and many more ex-teachers I know fill their time and occupy their brains by playing Bridge. Any excuse to do a bit of promotion for a game that suits philosophers, mathematicians, gamblers, strategists, logic fanatics and even a few that just enjoy a sociable evening in the company of like-minded people who might even be looking for a romantic involvement or a convivial bridge holiday.

tonymars and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Creating resources e.g. ppts with targets and objectives and sell them?

Lara mfl 05 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

My friend's daughter gave up teaching languages and now works on cruise liners , She speaks German and French and does jobs like IT support, photography tutor One of my ex colleagues works in the history department of the local uni. currently doing clerical/research support work

It really depends on your other commitments . While your subject skills are something to bear in mind and it always good to make use of your academic knowledge don't concentrate too much on that. Think about the other things your teaching skills help you to bring to bring to the table. Teachers can usually to communicate well; have good organisational skills; can speak to groups easily and so on

jophlox likes this.
  6. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Tutoring, but i set up a private limited company with it's own bank account and pay myself a salary each month. The company is registered with hmrc and i am an employee of the company with a payroll number and everything and i generate my own payslips each month as evidence if required. I would do some extra research if i were you, but that might be enough for a mortgage company. (after 6 months i was earning enough to pay the bills and mortgage -i earn way more than if i had taken an admin job)

tonymars and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

How old are you? Have you looked at the civil service? I'm sure they do fast streams for graduates. I did each of the tests and they were pretty easy. Got down to video interview before declining for a different job. Now I have a job lined up as a graduate surveyor. Have you looked at council jobs? Maybe just look at random companies around your area and contact them to see if they have any jobs going.

What is your degree in? As I would imagine you'll find it easier looking for alternative jobs with a STEM degree compared to a degree in primary education.

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Employment law. I trained and qualified with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, which is the earn-as-you-learn route into law and has the added advantage that employers frequently pay for the course as well.

https://www.cilex.org.uk/about-cilex-lawyers

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Why does setting up your own tuition firm, with all expenses claimed back and regular payment of your national insurance class twos, not count as a mortgageable career? Overheads would be low and it might pay off very well indeed. Maybe give it a chance. Ideally you would have a one bed private flat with a dedicated teaching area, dbs certificate and insurance. That's it.

10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I confirm that this is enough! Work with what you already have. Pretty soon, small businesses like us will end up federating together locally as the state schools crash and burn and the posh indies also cut back, experience rapid staff turnover, and the kids start voting with their feet. For admin, pointless PHSE lessons, 'stranger danger' and self assessment, there's UK schools. For everything else, there's tutoring!

woollani and tsarina like this.
  11. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

I start as an Education recruiter soon. I'll be scanning teacher's CVs to find those looking for new positions, and offering our (free) services to them. I get to use my pedagogical (and political) knowledge of the profession to assess what vacancies are the best fit for the clients, and also use what I know to write up job descriptions for the vacancies that go on TES! I'll be involved in dispatching supply teachers to schools too.

I'm also retraining in HR (which benefits my recruitment position greatly as part of it is dealing with legal compliance) and may try and slide on over in to the Government's social research dept in the DfE. Or go in to law. The possibilities are exciting!

Retraining with a few other skills (New Skills Academy and Reed offer affordable Diplomas, I got a discount code for my HR course so I paid a mere £20!) will complement the qualifications you already have - it shows employers that you have scope to be effective in another sector - having just the PGCE and teaching experience can sometimes make it seem like that's all you can do.

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Because they want to see stability of income from a person they class as self-employed. Usually they want two years' accounts in evidence.

Daughter has just had this difficulty. She moved from being a salaried GP to being a partner, with self-employed status and wanted to remortgage.

agathamorse and RedBedHead94 like this.
  13. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

I can't actually tell you what I do now, but I do have multiple STEM degrees in a hard science. I had a lot of options, therefore. You need to tell us what sort of quals you have in order for us to give more targeted advice and suggestions. I have done tutoring and publishing and exam marking too.

14. lsmith21

lsmith21 New commenter

Retired early and have re-trained as a funeral celebrant - should have done it years ago

15. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I currently work in insurance and there are loads of ex teachers in the office

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I do several things.

I work 3 days per week teaching Functional Skills with a training provider in the construction industry.

I also private tutor quite a few students each week.

My favourite job though, is the work I do with a fantastic cosmetics company. I'd love to build this into my full time income. It's amazing how many ex-teachers are working within this business. Every time we get together, we always marvel and how well we are treated!

17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

18. alan1

alan1 New commenter

I'm training to become an embalmer and frankly cannot wait to get out of teaching.

19. alan1

alan1 New commenter

How did you find the transition?

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Ooh Fizzbobble ...are you a spy? (I won't tell anyone!)

matthewgundry likes this.