1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex-teachers I need inspiration!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SLB_5, Sep 22, 2015.

1. SLB_5

SLB_5 New commenter

Hi, I have been teaching for just over 5 years, and been wanting to leave for at least half of that time. I'm just worried I don't know what else we teachers can do! I know we have lots of transferable schools but everything I've looked it, you seem to need specific experience in that area.
    Need out of this profession :(

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I certainly think that teachers have a major transferable skill in being able to manage people but what are your HE quals and teaching subject etc?

Also, rather than trying to find another job right now, what about doing some evening classes in some form of vocational qualifications. Knowing that you are at least heading somewhere more sensible in your life may help you to put up with the problems in school for the time being.

An important thing though is to make sure you know exactly why you don't like teaching. I'm not asking you to detail them here, but just to make sure you understand them yourself. All jobs have their bad sides (although I think that teaching is particularly dire at the moment) and you may find that there are ways you can deal with it without leaving the profession. In any case, you will need to explain exactly why you have left a reasonably well paid and secure job, to a future employer, without sounding like a wimp or whinger. People outside teaching don't usually understand the stresses in the job. A lot of them think we have short days, huge holidays and super pensions.

Deal with the things that are within your control and put up with or ignore the things you have no control over. For me, I had no control over the constant barrage of media and politicians dissing teachers etc. which got me down badly, and I had to make a great effort to ignore it. My discipline problems in class were significantly improved when I made sure I understood the school disciplinary policy properly and used it correctly.

All the best and good wishes for whatever you decide to do.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Charities. Admin. You can handle IT so any office-based job is open to you (more or less).

Retrain?

The gas boiler engineer who came the other week was formerly a teacher of Art.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on whether or not you want to keep helping people to learn, or at least to inform people about something or other. Not much bother transferring to either type of job outside the school environment.

Do you have the means to set up a business of some sort by yourself or would you prefer to work for someone else? Can you afford a drop in salary while you gain other relevant experience?

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just come back from a four day HF walking holiday in Brecon Beacons. Absolutely brilliant! Any teacher with a modicum of fitness could become one of the guides. Right up our street I would think. Don't know how much they get paid but probably not much. You would need some first aid qualifications and some sort of walking or mountain leadership qualifications. These quals can be gained through a few weeks course I think. I saw a mountain leadership course advertised for about £600 I seem to remember. Took a week I think, but I can not be sure I remember it fully. Need to google it.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Deloitte.

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I left full time teaching in 2014. I've worked on supply since, done some examining and also built up a fair amount of private tutoring.

In addition, I work for a fab skin care company which is absolutely my favourite role since leaving teaching. I work on my own terms and find the company just so positive and support.

There's lots of work out there. It may be that you don't just take on one, different full-time job but rather establish many streams on income. That's what I've done and so far it's working. Things are definitely a bit tighter than before (husband also given up teaching and is working as a photographer and fixing up people's cars) but we are much happier.

CraftSL and kibosh like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Funnily enough, I was reading my weekly copy of Inside Housing, a journal for those who work in the housing association sector, and when I came to the vacancies section, it occurred to me that many of the jobs could suit teachers who are looking for an alternative to teaching. Quite a number of the jobs fetched salaries similar to those head teachers now earn.

There's all sorts of jobs going in this sector and apart from the ones that require specific technical skills from the building industry, most appear to welcome applicants from outside the housing sector. You'd need to be computer literate, be able to work on your own initiative and have a winning way with people, be able to be both decisive and work as part of a team.

Nothing there that a teacher didn't ought to be capable of, I'd have thought.

My experience of working in a housing association so far, has been brilliant. No daily pressure, no targets to meet, fantastic support and every day has the potential of being completely different from the ones that preceded it. They value initiative and encourage their employees to use it.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, d'you need an assistant, DoY?

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

could you scan the jobs page and email it to those of us who may be interested DoY? I might, for one.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

12. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

At last, a thread about alternative careers with a link to specific jobs.

More power to your elbows DofY and oldsomeman!

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Eva made a very good point in that sometimes you have to find multiple income streams and not rely on one full time role.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@SLB_5

When we have the Jobseekers and Careers Clinic advice blogs brought over to nu-TES, there is some advice there. Meanwhile, I am posting a file for you that may give some ideas for careers that build on the skills and experience that you have developed in teaching. Hope it's helpful!

Good luck

Attached Files:

CraftSL and monicabilongame like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The HF group leaders are volunteers - no pay, just the fantastic food. And you need more than a modicum of fitness to lead, especially in the HF mountain houses!! The assessment process is pretty tough - not just the walking leadership qualifications, but how to handle tricky guests, and, of course, first aid. There ARE a lot of ex-teachers doing it, but they're not paid a penny.