1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teacher, current business owner...potential TA? Any thoughts/advice-?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lazzle, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hi folks,

Wondering if any one has any advice for me on this one...

I completed my PGCE in 2008. Since then have worked in a couple of different schools, different age groups and in both state and independent schools. Over the course of 2011 I decided that teaching was no longer for me (for the reasons that many people seem to cite with a full time teaching job- paperwork and a work life balance!) and left my teaching job in December last year.

Since then I have set up a business of my own providing administration outsourcing. This has gone fairly well so far and the initial set up, marketing and securing of business has gone well.

The business is secure enough to tick over itself but isn't currently making an enormous amount of profit so I'm looking for part time work so that I know I have a secure income to pay my own bills.

Now I'd far rather go back in to a school than in to an office working for someone else. Although I am looking at part time teaching positions I'm more keen to apply for TA positions because I think that it'll allow me to do the part of the job that I loved- i.e. the working with children part, but will cut down on the paperwork and, quite frankly, the evening hours (I will be doing plenty of evening hours with the business!!), it will allow me to concentrate on, and enjoy both aspects of my (new) working life and...in all of the schools I've worked in, it's the TAs who've seemed the happiest and most relaxed!!

I suppose that what I'm asking for advice on is how exactly to word the application. I don't want to sound as if a) I've bailed out of teaching and think that being a TA is the easy life (genuinely I don't, but I do think that it will give me a little more time than teaching) b) that I'm more interested in my business than the job or c) that I'm only applying because I need the money!

Thus far, in my application, I'm outlining my career history and teaching experience, have explained that I now own a business and am trying to explain why I want to be a TA rather than a teacher and how I will be able to do both TA and business...

Any thoughts very welcome!

2. Hi folks, Wondering if any one has any advice for me on this one... I completed my PGCE in 2008. Since then have worked in a couple of different schools, different age groups and in both state and independent schools.
    Over the course of 2011 I decided that teaching was no longer for me (for the reasons that many people seem to cite with a full time teaching job- paperwork and a work life balance!) and left my teaching job in December last year.
    Since then I have set up a business of my own providing administration outsourcing. This has gone fairly well so far and the initial set up, marketing and securing of business has gone well. The business is secure enough to tick over itself but isn't currently making an enormous amount of profit so I'm looking for part time work so that I know I have a secure income to pay my own bills.
    Now I'd far rather go back in to a school than in to an office working for someone else. Although I am looking at part time teaching positions I'm more keen to apply for TA positions because I think that it'll allow me to do the part of the job that I loved- i.e. the working with children part, but will cut down on the paperwork and, quite frankly, the evening hours (I will be doing plenty of evening hours with the business!!), it will allow me to concentrate on, and enjoy both aspects of my (new) working life and...in all of the schools I've worked in, it's the TAs who've seemed the happiest and most relaxed!!
    I suppose that what I'm asking for advice on is how exactly to word the application. I don't want to sound as if a) I've bailed out of teaching and think that being a TA is the easy life (genuinely I don't, but I do think that it will give me a little more time than teaching) b) that I'm more interested in my business than the job or c) that I'm only applying because I need the money!

Thus far, in my application, I'm outlining my career history and teaching experience, have explained that I now own a business and am trying to explain why I want to be a TA rather than a teacher and how I will be able to do both TA and business...
    Any thoughts very welcome!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To be honest, I wouldn't even mention " I now own a business and am trying to explain why I want to be a TA
    rather than a teacher and how I will be able to do both TA and
    business..
    ." The school only wants to know how you're going to improve their school and you don't want any doubts as to a 'division of interests, or they might start to think along the lines of your a), b), c)!
    You need to major on why being a TA is what you want to do. The chance to work one to one with children, but with your teacher training the capacity to provide high level intervention strategies etc.

4. Thanks, Lara.

Agree with what you're saying- obviously though on the application I have to put my current employment and was trying to deflect/answer questions about it before they are raised...if that makes sense?!