1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex Teacher...an update...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missteach2005, Mar 23, 2018.

1. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know what it has been like for me, as an experience, since I officially left the profession as of February 2018. I was in fact off sick for the majority of the year since September, but on a phased return I realised I just could not do this anymore. I was granted gardening leave.

So there starts the process of leaving the profession.

I had about 4 weeks worth of gardening leave so I took that time to get myself sorted. I was on medication for anxiety and depression. Meds to help stop the effects of anxiety and then meds to help with the chemical imbalance. They began to work and I soon came off one of the meds, which helped even more.

Then began the process of job hunting. I realised my CV was very school orientated and I am not the type of person who will sit around at home watching Jeremy Kyle, so after 3-4 weeks of looking I set to doing some online courses via the Reed website. I boxed two of them off in now time with distinctions, and have subsequently started another. On top of this I went into an office environment and worked for free for a few days. The experience this gave me was second to none as it allowed me to put that on a list of employment (even though voluntary) and so my last employment experience is not teaching.

Job hunting has not been easy. I have applied for almost 80 jobs and had a handful of interviews. But yesterday the tide of good luck turned. I went for an interview and I really liked the place. I was in there for well over an hour and a half. I left thinking I would really like this job, but they still have more people to see next week too. So I drive home, not trying to get my hopes up as this has happened before and they simply do not get back to me.

When I got home I thought I will check my email. To my absolute surprise I had an email from the employer offering me a job. Subject to references and other checks, but I am so happy.

Since leaving teaching I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done! I chucked anything teacher related away, out of my house. Resources the lot. My study has been decorated also. I was initially very angry with the profession for where it had driven me to .At the precipice of a breakdown if I am honest. I have now begun to let go of this anger. I just wish I had jacked in this profession long ago since and started getting a life sooner! Securing this job is exactly what I needed.

Anyone that is thinking of doing it, and has been for some time and you are only doing it for the money , seriously consider whether you can do it long term. I lasted 13 years and probably should've gone 4-5 years ago. It was starting to make me ill back then. We just ensured we had enough in savings to tide us over until something came along and it takes that pressure away of bill paying etc.

The freedom of life away from teaching is immense.

Those of you still teaching, I do take my hat off to you. The job beat me.
    Or maybe I should see it as I did not let the job take me over the edge and I gained the control back.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Greta to hear your good news. Will be encouraging for many teachers out there, I'd say.

jlishman2158, bevdex, ginairc and 3 others like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good for you!

You can spell and you can paragraph. I don't know what your teaching was like but I wouldn't be surprised if you were pretty good! Minimum. So another loss to the "profession".

But good for you! I hope you absolutely love it there. You have worked hard for it and sound like you thoroughly deserve it.

jlishman2158, Marisha, yasf and 5 others like this.
  4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

To be fair it is a very large and diverse company. I would never have anything to do with them again though, personally.

5. missteach2005

Ah the course was not via them, they merely advertised it and then I got the course via another provider. They were merely a means to an end.

yasf, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. missteach2005

Appreciate that comment, a lovely thing to say. Thank you!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. missteach2005

That is what I was hoping. The amount of friends I know who are teachers and are scared to take that step, have all openly said to me how brave I am and they wish they could do it. For me it just had to be done.

There is a life away from teaching... our issue is we become either too institutionalised or scared to leave.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This is a brilliant post and should give some ideas and inspiration to those who post asking what they can do outside of teaching. Well done on your perseverance and determination to get another job. I can almost feel your sense of relief and uplift coming through my computer screen.

Well done on your success and I sincerely wish you all the best in your future career.:)

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well done and best wishes for your future job (and life)
    Keep posting here (if its not too traumatic for you) It ll be goos to hear about life after teaching and gives hoope to others.

10. missteach2005

That is lovely, thank you. To say I am excited to get started is probably an understatement. :)

11. clarefrankie

clarefrankie Occasional commenter

so happy to hear this great news! i am leaving in august this year and have nothing to go to yet...it's hard to transfer out of teaching whilst having to give 3 months notice. Fortune favours the brave!

12. missteach2005

What are you planning on doing? It is scary, I won't hide that for you and I was beginning to start climbing the walls but the freedom you'll feel when you escape is second to none.

13. grumpydogwoman

Well, I have broken it down for everyone thinking of leaving.

• Explore the notion of gardening leave (worth a try!)
    • Get saving and address your spending - see if a payment holiday from the mortgage is possible if push comes to shove
    • Seek the help of your GP
    • Look at your CV and see if you can make it more generally applicable/appealing
    • Consider some courses (online or at a local college) - upskill yourself
    • Volunteer and get some experience in an office or other workplace
    • Add this work experience to your CV
    • Start applying

(You will note that I have stolen this 100% from @missteach2005)

She should be a recruitment and training consultant. Perhaps she IS???

bevdex, galerider123, pepper5 and 7 others like this.
  14. clarefrankie

clarefrankie Occasional commenter

i'm going to continue examining and private tuition...but apart from that not too sure...was thinking of maybe a couple of days a week supply work whilst looking for a way out...maybe administration...i worked in private business for 10yrs before teaching and did a variety of jobs, library assistant, account manager, call centre, bartender, retail work so have some experience (although i've been teaching for over 17yrs).

15. missteach2005

Ha ha .No, not a new recruitment consultant ha ha. Your post really made me laugh. But what you have said there in bullet point is indeed what I've done.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  16. missteach2005

It's administration that I've gone into. A really nice office environment with a national company that's growing. Their developments sound really exciting. My extra qualifications were based in administration. I promise you, it'll be the best decision you'll ever make. I'm fortunate I know . But when that decision is made up in your head is a great release x

17. grumpydogwoman

I just took your original post and plagiarised it!!!

You can't improve on perfection! No use reinventing the wheel. If anybody followed your example and then didn't get work I'd be very surprised.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, it's making the decision that's the hard part. While colleagues grapple with indecision they continue on the downward spiral. Once the decision's made, the future appears again, there is a way forward and a sense of overwhelming relief.

19. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Thank you for posting this thread; I, for one, found it really positive and encouraging.

Been teaching now for 10 years, and I'm currently getting an exit plan together to leave this summer. Just waking up everyday, feeling so anxious and nervous. I'm always expecting something negative to happen (even when the day itself goes smoothly!).
    Went and saw my doctor last week, and he has put me on anxiety medication, on a 3 month basis (I'm hoping this will be long enough to get me through to the summer term; if I need an extra month until I actually leave, then I'll go back and see him beforehand).

I've enjoyed the time, but not the stress. You never know, I may come back in a few years, but right now, I just need out and a break from it.

20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I would say your post is spot on, especially in brushing up on skills/taking non-teaching related courses, and making sure that your 'last job' isn't a teaching one.

Marisha, Shedman, pepper5 and 4 others like this.