1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex Music Teacher looking to become ICT teacher

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by loveclose, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Greetings to all, would welcome any advice and assistance with regard to my next move here!
    I used to be a Head of Music, and still have qualified status, currently a supply teacher.
    I've just finished two terms of supply teaching as a Maths/ICT teacher. Whilst the Maths was ok, I found the ICT really interesting, and felt that this was the way back into full time teaching.
    I use ICT a great deal, not just formerly in Music, but on an everyday basis, and of course I've been teaching the subject for the two previously mentioned terms.
    Whilst confident at teaching KS3, I didn't really get the chance to teach much KS4, so feel a little lightweight in that area!
    Would greatly appreciate any assistance from anyone who could advise me on the possible steps forward from here.
    Many thanks!!

2. In our ICT dept we have had someone join us with the exact same experience I suppose, he had completed the Music PGCE but was stuggling with the lack of posts offered at the time and had a degree in computing so joined our school straddling both departments and now teaches ICT and Music Technology courses. In terms of moving forward, writing to schools explaining your situation might help and they may be willing to let you shadow, cover or fill a position, who knows! Knowing and observing what is taught at KS4 and above would be a great help in making a decision about whether it's the right move of course...

3. I would look very carefully at job availability.

4. Thank you both for replies...
    Autismuk, could you expand a little??

5. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I think Autismuk is referring to the lack of jobs around - we recently advertised for a part time post and received many, many expressions if interest from those who were taking anything they could because of the lack of jobs. Our PGCE student tells me that most of his course haven't got jobs yet. It may be different in other parts of the country, but look closely before making any decision. Good luck though!

6. catch222

catch222 New commenter

I would echo what's been said - Many students on PGCE's haven't got a job, or even had a sniff of one - and it ends up with everyone just piling into a job even if they're not well matched to it, just to get a job. I think in general, very few jobs going will mean a glut of student teachers this year, and over the next, they'll get picked off one by one into schools but it's pretty disappointing if you go for a career as you think you can make a difference and get a stable job, but sadly it's not happening yet.

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Get confident:
    • Pull some specifications off t'web and look what's required (OCR Nationals, BTEC, GCSE etc); learn how to do it yourself.
    • Find some Schemes of Work - loads on t'web again - and look at how you would deliver the lessons
    • Search through this forum and look at the software people are using for KS4 - get familiar with it.
    HTH

8. Many thank to all who have taken the time to reply.
    DEmsley - many thanks for your suggestions.