1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex-Forces

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Foneypharaoh, Jun 1, 2012.

1. A-TEN-SHUN!!!
    Degree before the forces, officer training etc. etc. or afterwards which would have been a
    superb achievement. Which way round did you do it OG?

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Yes. Halton then Cranwell. One in one out. Celebrating 30 years at the moment.
    Why?

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Can we count my hours of nancying around in uniform as a member of the Combined Cadet Force at a public school?
    Or do you only qualify if you have actually used a piece of expensive weaponry to destroy someone of different ethnicity?

4. v12

v12

REME. Seventies. Firemans' Strike and so forth. Later officer in CCF when teaching in public schools.

5. Go home boys-Gove needs you!

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

My former headteacher was a Falklands Veteran - ex-Royal Marine! Quite funny trying to keep up with him 'walking' down a corridor!!

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Never served, although I worked with the Prince of Wales Own for two years, Royal Green Jackets for two years and spent six years working in a military base in the Middle East.

8. Uni, Mob, Industry , EducaSHUN!

9. USN, resigned in 1994...Gulf War I veteran...days in theatre - 1; then off to Cuba, Mediterranean/Red Sea cruise and the good life in Florida;
    duties: Damage Control Officer, CHT (poop) Officer, Legal Officer, Public Affairs Officer, general go-to guy;
    got there by doing ROTC so I could go to uni for free; left a half year early because Pres Bill was trying to downsize the military...all in all, a good deal!

10. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Queen's Own Deserters

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

See OP: Regiment? Years of service? He's a canny old Pharaoh, that one. He knows which questions to ask.

12. Karvol

Really? So was my ex-Housemaster. Who went on to become a headmaster.
    His first name wasn't Clive by any chance was it?

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

You don't mean...? You're not implying...?
    It would be simply too delicious, darlings.

14. Was in a local pub in 1991, about to return to lovely Kuwait. I was talking at length to a chap who owned his own electricity parts shop. He was telling me about serving in N.Ireland and how you 'had to give the kids a slap every now and then to kep them in order'.
    Behind me a stocky shaven headed bloke asked me if he had heard me talking about going back to Kuwait and I said I was. but to teach, not being a forces sort. He said he had just come back form a stint there and was describing the roadblocks that were put up by the Kuwaitis to get rid of the many undesirables that had moved in on mass. I said "This bloke here was in the army, pointing to the electric shop bloke". The shaven head asked him what number regiment? The guy just said "the army". At this point the shaven guy just turned his back on him. End of conversation.
    Bloody embarrassing, I can tell you.
    I know BFG has a very similar tale to that about a chap who made few things up and is now in a far eastern jail for other sins.
    Strange old world.

15. If SMT Dude gets years served for that, I want time served for the 12 years I spent in a catholic school uniform. Equal time, and all. [​IMG]

Oh, wait, that might provoke some here...

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Who, me? Would I?

17. Yes you would.

18. yep.

19. Karvol

It is curious, I suppose if one wished to look at it that way, as to how vague a post can be while at the same time, on first reading, giving an almost overabundance of information.
    As Foney has said, the truth - perhaps - is in the details. I could tell you incidental details about Catterick barracks, the beach at Castlemartin, the pubs around Penhale. I could even tell you about how annoying it was to get to Zayed Military City, to GHQ in Abu Dhabi and to the base in Dubai which is now where the Burj Khaliefa stands tall.
    Yet regaling stories of fighting squaddies ( a performance, per chance, as the squaddies used to call it on those rare occasions when I was honoured enough to be invited to the Junior Mess - although they never involved fighting ) didn't happen as often as one expects. The NCOs and WOs keep a tight ship and they do not let this type of behaviour get out of hand. In fact, after more than a decade of working with the military in one form or another, I have never heard of mass brawls or other such events. That is not to say that they didn't exist, just that I have never been aware of them.

20. There was a particular unit that we collided with on a regular basis and the punch ups were epic. I think the record was about a hundred squaddies involved with a fine level of blood, split lips and thick black eyes a plenty - and no one reported sick the next morning even though they were all carrying 'silver medals'.
    There seems to be a difference of opinion here Jeffrey.... (house point if you can name that show...)