1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex deputy head supply rate query

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by RosieLKH, Jun 27, 2011.

1. RosieLKH

RosieLKH New commenter

As the title says, I am an ex deputy head and have started doing supply at the school where I previously worked for 25 years (15 as deputy).

Looking at my pay slip, it appears that I am being paid at the top of the main scale. Since I was a deputy before the introduction of threshold payments, I never actually went through threshold as I was on the leadership spine.

My query is whether I should automatically get 1/195th of the threshold III rate?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd stay very quiet about it if I were you - as far as I know UPS U3 is as good as it gets for some and a lot better than it gets for many, especially with the advent of agency flat rates. I've never heard of a leadership spine Supply Teacher.

3. Sounds like you are working direct to school. Which is lucky for you. Your deal is with the school.
    If you can get work without an agency, then fair does, well done and a reward for all the hard work you have put into your school over the years.
    I would be a bit careful challenging anything, a school could change their options and get agency in if the dealwith you is looking expensive.

4. I am on supply after a brief deputy head post and have been told that through LEA I will get top of MPS but on supply the same flat rate as everyone else. You are lucky to be getting the scale rate rather than the flat fee. A HT friend of my family has told me he wants to stop paying an ex head who is being paid to scale on the UPS and says he may offer me work next year at MPS 6 as this is the most he can afford and still less than an agency would charge the school. ALl food for thought.

5. RosieLKH

RosieLKH New commenter

No, I was obviously not clear. I am not being paid the threshold rate, just the top of the main scale. whereas other supplies used, also ex-teachers from the school, get £20 more a day because they did get upper spine three. I was above them in my pay, yet my supply rate is lower.

6. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You need to pass through Threshold, it's not automatic.

7. I read you correctly from the start, was a bit confused with others. I too was told I would have to go through threshold myself as it was not automatic from being on the leadership spine even though I would argue that to get a job on the leadership spine you have to prove yourself without the portfolio!!!

8. If you are being paid at M6 it is still probably a lot more than agency flat rate. Count yourself lucky even if it does seem unfair.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

UPS U3 should be about £30 a day more than MPS 6 outside London. As you suggest, there's no record of you having crossed the Threshold so presumably that's how your pay rate was determined by the LEA. Anything above MPS 3 is better than most agency flat rates.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Download the old Threshold Application form (still applicable for those who are not on a contract) and submit it to the Head of the school where you used to be on a contract and are currently doing supply. They can hardly fail you for UPS1. You will then get UPS1 supply rate from September (backdated if they don't adjudicate applications until the October deadline). You'd have to wait another 2 years to apply for UPS2.
    Will you be able to draw your pension based on your Leadership scale salary? If not, all the more reason to get onto UPS as quickly as possible.