1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Evil looks"

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by coxdeb, Jun 14, 2014.

1. coxdeb

coxdeb New commenter

I am a relatively new EBD teacher working with 1 TA and a class of 7 quite challenging y5/6 children. I feel I've made pretty good progress with them over the year, but one issue is really bafflng me at the moment.

We are having constant incidents of conflict about people looking at each other. I do have a couple of children who give "death stares" and if I see that, I would normally give a warning or consequence. But we also have children who think others are looking at them when they aren't, and children who complain that others are looking at them when they themselves are behaving so badly that there is no wonder people are looking at them.

I think the problem is, it's all very open to interpretation, and that's making it hard for me to be clear, firm and consistent, which I know these children need.

It's probably compounded by the fact we have one child in acute crisis at the moment and the TA is out of the class a lot, so there is a bit more scope for undetected "dirty looks".

Just wondered if this rings a bell with anyone else and if anyone had any thoughts about it?

I should add, in some ways, the fact that it's bothering me so much is probably a good sign. At the start of the year, dirty looks would have been very low in my list of problems with this class..........

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I'd advise you to simply promote the idea that staring at people is rude and confrontational, and then police it accordingly. And of course you can only respond to what you see, so don't give credence to any tales of staring unless you witness it yourself. Other than that, I think there's a certain amount of behaviour that we have to accept we will never be able to micromanage, and it's far better to focus on the things that are clear, and clearly within our ability to control.

Good luck

Tom