1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Evidencing differentiation in books?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Oskareen, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Oskareen

Oskareen New commenter

Feedback from recent book scrutiny is that I need to show evidence of differentiation in pupils’ exercise books (secondary). SLT appear to be expecting Ofsted any minute and there is a great focus on books as evidence.

Does anyone have any idea on how best to go about this and any recent Ofsted inspection experience as to what they look for when it comes to evidence of differentiation?

Would welcome any ideas as I’m stumped- most of my differentiation is evident only to an observer or following discussion with pupils...

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

How about:
    y=x^2
    dy/dx=2x

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Think about what they should produce.
    Open a top/middle/bottom book to the same lesson on the same date. There should be differences, not just in terms of the amount written.
    If there isn't, there should be, so you need to ask your line manager for suggestions .

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you know that you are differentiating, you just need to find a way to indicate that to SLT through the books. (I suspect Ofsted inspectors are actually less of an issue.)

If it's differentiation by outcome (the content of their essays is of varying quality) that should be self-evident. Maybe you need to go down the "rubber stamps" route - have stamps which say "supported by TA", "used scaffolding sheet", "learning extended in discussion with teacher", "completed challenge task on computer", or whatever. If the sorts of extension tasks you use are too varied, you might have to get the pupils to write something in their books along these lines, if there isn't time for them to make a written record of the task itself.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

We've been inspected already. Book scrutinies weren't focused on differentiation as the inspectors were keen to see how the curriculum is taught - although there wasn't much to see as children had only been at school for five days when they arrived.

6. shujahatmunir

shujahatmunir New commenter

That is interesting. Did they ask how student progression is monitored? Did they ask for qualitative and quantitative data? Sorry about the questions, this is an area I am responsible for and your input would be helpful. What tips would you give to schools anticipating an inspection?