1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Evidence for standards

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by severn45, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Hi everyone

I'm now half way through my GTP (hooray!) and going through the standards getting together all the evidence. The trouble is that neither my school mentor, nor my college mentor is giving me any help or advice about what I should put in. On my observations they keep covering the same standards and I seem to be missing evidence etc on the Monitoring and Assessment section. This is even when I have been assessing their progress etc.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what evidence can go into these standards, and any other help at all.

This appears to be a major task, and I don't even know if I am doing it right so all help will be gratefully received.

Thanks
    severn45

2. Hi everyone

I'm now half way through my GTP (hooray!) and going through the standards getting together all the evidence. The trouble is that neither my school mentor, nor my college mentor is giving me any help or advice about what I should put in. On my observations they keep covering the same standards and I seem to be missing evidence etc on the Monitoring and Assessment section. This is even when I have been assessing their progress etc.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what evidence can go into these standards, and any other help at all.

This appears to be a major task, and I don't even know if I am doing it right so all help will be gratefully received.

Thanks
    severn45

3. Hi severn45,
    Have you tried this site?http://www.qts.what2learn.com/

it lists all the standards and offers some advice about evidence you could use to show you're meeeting them.

Hope it's useful.

4. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

Hi severn45,

If you're not sure what to include, put everything in. Later on, you can look at this again and perhaps remove some of the unnecessary bulk.

You do really need to talk this one through with your mentor. There will be some standards that you will hit many times over, but others will be more difficult unless your observations can be targetted specifically at them. Since Christmas, we have arranged my observations with a view to hitting whatever standards I'm short of evidence for.

Your mentor should be aware which standards you still need evidence for and can look directly at these areas when observing you.

Hope this helps.

5. Hello,

I've got 2 exemplar copies of what evidence you can put into your portfolio (GTP Model Training Plan and SCITT Suggested Sources of evidence) - let me know if you would like me to email it to you.....

6. I'm struggling with evidence too and am having particular trouble collecting evidence for assessment and monitoring standards.

Annacook, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your exemplars too please? welshgalx@gmail.com

Many thanks in advance.
    Welshgal

7. Hi, I'm in a similar position, what I've started to do is say, ok I need evidence for this particular standard, how am I going to get it and then write it into the lesson plan eg assessment through .....(sometimes needs to be quite detailed) eg assessment for learning 5 minutes for pupils to do peer assessment etc and then I tell my mentor what standards I want them to try and observe in the lesson. This works well and gives you lots of evidence to include eg (1) lesson plan (2) assessment details 3) mentor observation form (4) reflective diary eg I thought I should do some assessment and this is how and why I'm going to do it (5) examples of pupils work.
    Hope this makes sense (had a long day!)

8. severn45 (and anyone else)

My uni is quite good with giving advice on standards. They gave us a list of possible ideas for each standards. If you want to list the ones you are particualary stuck with, I'll what my university suggest and post it on her.

crazycoffee

9. hiya

Sorry my above post is full of errors!!!! The last sentence should have read 'I'll see what my university suggests and post it on here'.

Hope this is clear.

crazycoffee

10. annacook - I'd love a copy too, if you don't mind: suzycupit@freenet.co.uk

crazycoffee - it'd be great to see what your uni says too! Thanks!

11. Hi

Thank you everyone for your ideas etc. I'm glad to find Im not the only one who is panicking about these wonderful standards.

annacook - Yes please to a copy of the types of exemplars evidence and thank you. My email is

lesley219@btinternet.com.

and crazycoffee if you could send what your uni has given you then that would be much appreicated as well. Email as above.

I know I have to talk with my mentor, but I am off to my second school placement on Monday so won't see her for a while. I have just started to work out what standards are now need to hit, and guess what, it is the monitoring and assessment ones. We all know we assess but how do we keep on proving it when they only see us occasionally.
    I have tried the what2learn site but guess i should try it again.

Thanks for all your help.

severn45

12. annacook - I know you must be getting exhausted, but I'd love to see your standards ideas too. My e-mail is sallyashworth1@tiscali.co.uk
    Thank you very much in advance!!!

13. Please could i also have a copy of the suggested evidence annacook? or anyone else that can help!!
    Thankyou very much
    haalak@hotmail.com

14. Hi, sorry to jump on the band wagon but could i have this evidence stuff forwarded to me too......am in the middle of my second placement and have paper work everywhere..so any help would be appreciated!!!
    chocolatee_claire@yahoo.com
    Ta
    Claire x

15. I'm starting to work on the monitoring and assessment one with the focus of getting it signed off!

At each progress review meeting we target a group of standards....for subject knowledge I've written one scheme of work and am starting on another - that will cover that particular one - plus a few more!

For monitoring and assessment I've included examples of SATS marking, APP marking and GCSE coursework marking. I've included details of assessment for learning (ie what have we learned today postits - get the postits stuck on a piece of A3, photocopy it and there you go, a standard) as well.

I also photopcopied a page of my markbook which looks pretty paltry at the moment, but will look better!

My next plan is to do a mini project - going to import all the students previous achievement data onto Excel, keep it updated, then do a powerpoint thingy later on in the year.

I also went through the qts what to learn page - what an astonishing resource. I did this after a bollocking from my very strict mentor and wrote down a target for myself for every single one, so at least I know what I have to do.

It might all seem over the top, but I figure it's all an investment.

Good luck!

16. nicky 1

nicky 1 New commenter

Hi annacook sorry to sneek in, but sounds like a useful thing to have - please could you e-mail me a copy if it's not too much trouble.
    n.revill3@ntlworld.com