1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Everyone's going to get C or else...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bombaysapphire, May 12, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

In that case we're going to need some extra grades at the top end:
    A**
    A***
    I can't claim that this comment is original.
    I would happily invite any MPs backing this scheme to visit me on a day when I teach Year 11 top set and Year 11 bottom set to help them appreciate the difference between the two.

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

For a number of kids in my Yr11 bottom set, the highlight of their week is Thursday, when they get up at 5am to help put up stalls on the market, closely followed by 4pm later in the day, when they help take it all down again. Another kid is clueless with money. He has been through every booster programme going since Year dot. I'd like someone in government to tell me how a C grade in maths is going to be relevant to their needs and why, spending more time post 16 will suddenly enable them to achieve what they haven't managed for the previous 11 years.
    I'd also like them to point me to that mythical time when all kids left school literate and numerate.
    We do our best. There is a core of unteachables though. Someone has to pick the carrots, lug the rubbish, clean the classrooms.... What good is Pythagoras' Theorem for these people?

3. We could always bring back corporal punishment and try and beat some sense into them again! I'm game for it anyway. I was a corporal many years ago and I'm good with a cane![​IMG]

4. Or there is always Jamie Oliver!

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

As to who will be teaching it - FE lecturers of course! Half of each years' cohort coming through the doors, we'll have every person in the whole of the maths, science and engineering departments taking a share just to keep up.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Bring back National Service, I say. That'll learn 'em!

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Eh? (Or is this another tongue in cheek posting and I'm missing the joke?)

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I don't agree with your 'third world bit'... things ain't that bad!!
    However, I do think that the worst thing that could happen to education is yet more political interference. The best thing that could happen is the abolition of exam boards, and the creation of a single examining body which is non-profit making, and which oversees exams, standards and ensures that an A means an A. Let's get rid of all this A* rubbish, while we're at it, stop pretending that all kids are capable of As, and should be made to feel like failures if they achieve anything else.
    When I took A-levels, plenty of kids got Es and Ds, and that was a real achievement...

9. Within 50 years or so we will be educating our kids to the lowest standards in the world if we continue to chase gold stars instead of developing pupils to an internationally equivalent standard. The erosion so far will only icrease to the point of where the skills of Uk educated kids will not be suitable for the world of work.
    There a hundreds, thousands and more more highly educated eastern europeans in this country packing carrots when they are often far more driven to work and have far higher levels of education (especially maths) than their peers. When stigma/laws change on immigrant labour we will find more and more good jobs rightly taken by more highly educated kids.
    Third world education system? yes, I believe so and understand that will not be agreed on by many.
    Take away our heritage and a few good unis and the system is slipping further into the dark.

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Stubborn isn't he?
    First he said everyone will pass...
    When it was pointed out that this will mean that the qualification is worthless he went quiet on that one.

Now he has reworked it...until he gets 'everyone will retake until everyone passes'...huzzah!
    This serves more than one nefarious political purpose...

keeps that pesky teachers quiet..how dare they criticise him, such impudence...
    keeps more unqualified bods off the dole queue..and the unemployment stats..
    and he is seen to actually do something... without really doing anything.
    I don't envy those bods in the sixth forms and colleges that have students with zero chance of passing.
    You
    would think that; with all those statisticians from oxbridge in the
    civil service that one of them could manage to explain to Gove about a
    normal distribution and how now matter how many times some people take
    this exam...they will not pass it 'unless it is made easier'.
    But then that is what he wanted in the first place wasn't it.?
    Is not the total *** that he has made himself sound like?
    I
    notice the figure of 20 years is quoted. Conveniently avoiding the
    obvious that the old system of CSE's and O levels served it purpose and
    those who were 'less able'at mathematics could get their qualifications.
    What a shame yet another opportunity to improve the education system is
    in the hands of the bonkers.
    Why do these folks stubbornly refuse to allow a qualification

Is Mr Gove the new anitchrist of the teaching profession?...He makes Ken Clarke [the first one] sound positively rational.

11. There are a lot of problems with Gove's plan and I for one am looking forward to hearing more detail on how this is supposed to work and what these "high quality alternatives" are.
    On the face of it, it's surprising that in 2011 a politician can attempt to paint every child with the same brush like this, and it seems even more surprising that those students who don't fit within a 1950s ideal can be punished in this way.
    Some children are artists; some are musicians. Not everyone is a mathematician.

12. Yes, but punishment would make them fit the 1950s ideal.

13. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Um. Didn't he also want to do away with modular exams that allow "endless retakes" because this is bad. Or something?

14. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think his real problem is that he has to say something that will resonate with his core vote, while at the same time, he cannot be the first secretary of state for education who watches a collapse in exam results we know would happen were we actually to return to 1950/60/70s O and A levels.

15. Gove was very lucky at school though ......
    ... he could get his fag to do it for him [​IMG]