1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Everybody's favourite topic...

Discussion in 'Music' started by KingShosters, Dec 12, 2011.

1. KingShosters

KingShosters New commenter

Apologies for bringing up the old chestnut of end of KS3 levels again, however my SLT link wants me to provide evidence of how my KS3 levels compare nationally. Nice idea in theory except I've searched fruitlessly for national data and can't find it! Does anyone have access to a link for or knowledge of national end of KS3 level stats they could share please?
    Merry Christmas :)

2. KingShosters

Apologies for bringing up the old chestnut of end of KS3 levels again, however my SLT link wants me to provide evidence of how my KS3 levels compare nationally. Nice idea in theory except I've searched fruitlessly for national data and can't find it! Does anyone have access to a link for or knowledge of national end of KS3 level stats they could share please?
    Merry Christmas :)

3. My brain is overloaded with rude responses.

4. KingShosters

Please feel free to share some - assuming they're constructive of course :)
    This isn't a wind up topic, it is a serious request.

5. You don't have to! The School Teachers? Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) states that we shoul not undertake routines administrative or clerical tasks (which this clearly is). You can be expected to compare and interpret results, tables or graphs that are given to you. You should not be expected to find this data or collate it in any way. Speak to your union rep in school for support . Have a nice Christmas.

6. dropje

dropje New commenter

don't hink there is any. However, check out the QCA websites of examples of what each level 'looks' like. The reality is that noone cares about music NC levels, only SLT who need to add them to spreadsheets. I'm sick of it.

7. There isn't any national data for KS3. My county collects KS3 information but it is only partial as not all the schools submit their data so is fairly useless.

8. dropje

dropje New commenter

Note the final word: 'useless'. Hear Hear!

9. in support of previous comments....
    Short answer - you can't compare yours with National. You don't have access to the data.
    Long answer.....
    This is from the 2012 Assessment and reporting arrangements for KS3.
    3.2 What do teachers have to assess?

At the end of Key Stage 3, teachers must summarise their judgements on the attainment of

each eligible pupil, taking into account the pupil’s progress and performance throughout

the key stage.

Teachers need to determine:

• a level for each attainment target in English, mathematics, science and modern

foreign languages; and

• an overall subject level in each of the core and non-core subjects.

Teachers should base their judgements on the level descriptions in the National

Curriculum. They should use their knowledge of a pupil’s work over time to judge

which level description is closest to the pupil’s performance, taking into account written,

practical and oral work, as well as classroom work, homework and the evidence from any

tasks or tests.

Teacher assessment provides a rounded judgement that:

• is based on knowledge of how the pupil has performed over time and in a variety

of contexts; and

• takes into account strengths and weaknesses of the pupil’s performance.

"4.1 Reporting teacher assessment

Schools have a statutory responsibility to report the overall subject teacher assessment

levels in the core subjects for each eligible pupil to STA. Schools must submit their teacher

assessment, including overall attainment levels, to STA on the Teacher assessment section

of NCA tools website at www.education.gov.uk/ncatools. STA’s final deadline for submitting

teacher assessment is Friday 13 July 2012*.

There is no requirement to report teacher assessment data for
    non-core subjects (such ascitizenship) to the Department. The
    publication of national, regional and local authority

statistics for non-core subjects ended in 2008."

Interestingly, this section seems to be the one causing confusion: (Page 12)

{In addition to the above}, the following information must be reported to parents at the end

of Key Stage 3:

• Teacher assessment levels for English, mathematics, science, design and

technology, geography, history, ICT, modern foreign languages, art and design,

music and physical education.

• Comparative information about the National Curriculum levels of attainment for

pupils of the same age in the school.

• Comparative information about the National Curriculum levels of attainment

for pupils of the same age nationally. Comparative information will comprise a

national average from the previous academic year for each core subject at each

level.
    National results tables can be found on the Pupil Results section of the

Department’s website at www.education.gov.uk.
    There is no
    comparative data for subjects other than core. You can only compare to
    the core subjects both for in-school and national comparisons.
    Accessible from this link. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/a00197251/assessment-and-reporting-arrangements

Hope that helps.