1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every time!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by zannar, May 1, 2012.

1. zannar

zannar New commenter

The children work hard, I work hard.
    They progress in their own individual way.
    Happy but never complacent. Then the dreaded data charts.
    Results always look worse in bold colours.
    Circumstances not mentioned . Cold facts based on numbers.
    Go home feeling deflated, a failure.
    Have a drink, say sod 'em.
    Go back and do what you know your children need.
    Feel better.
    Oh the joy!

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

The children work hard, I work hard.
    They progress in their own individual way.
    Happy but never complacent. Then the dreaded data charts.
    Results always look worse in bold colours.
    Circumstances not mentioned . Cold facts based on numbers.
    Go home feeling deflated, a failure.
    Have a drink, say sod 'em.
    Go back and do what you know your children need.
    Feel better.
    Oh the joy!

3. Totally agree. Drowning in paperwork, can you just fill this in, complete this grid, etc. sometimes feel I don't have time to actually teach!

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

One day someone will realise that not every child is a square peg to mould to fit nicely into a square hole and that square pegs and round holes do not match up. Square pegs, round pegs and any other shape pegs all have their part to play.
    Diversity and individuality is what makes our world. Not everyone is academic. That we help children in many, many ways to survive, participate and contribute to society. This is not registered by point scores, floor targets etc.
    Oh dear I must stop or I will rant on and on. (staff meetings do it every time).

5. Some one has - you!
    Keep up the good work and smile!
    [​IMG]

6. zannar

zannar New commenter

Thank you! [​IMG]

7. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I so agree zannar. I'm fed up of 'intervention' this and 'intervention' that to try and up their levels. It's so hard to balance it all and I don't feel like I'm actually 'teaching' anything.
    The pressure on sub-levels in our school is quite intense. Not actually enjoying it at the moment [​IMG]

8. zannar

zannar New commenter

I am a bit of a rebel sometimes. I don't always have focus groups if I feel the whole class would benefit from me 'pottering around' guiding and advising as necessary. I occassionally tell my TA not to do an intervention if I feel the children will benefit from the class activity. I think that peer support and learning from the input of the higher ability children can be under estimated. In fact, since I have reduced the support given to the LA they have improved. They sometimes use interventions and support as a crutch and lose the will to be independent.
    There is a balance, <u>and I don't always get it right</u>, but I know and understand my children. Those who are not with them day in and day out don't see, hear and fully understand the whole picture, no matter how hard they try.

9. Am so glad I've just read these posts; makes me feel a whole lot better! We had poor SATs results last year, maily due to having a very weak year 6 (one form entry primary) so consequently OFSTED down on us like a ton of bricks 8 days into the Autumn term! Went from Good (the last 12 years) to Satisfactory. Seems like now that every week management are throwing out additional demands that we add to our teaching ( a fair number of them things which we should have been doing years ago but HT not on the ball.) Have the class from hell this year; behaviour in school has gone down hill rapidly over the last few years due to wishy-washy behaviour policy from on high! Children seem to be in control of the school and generally do as they please. So all in all a c**p year and still have the rest of the term to go! Have taught for 30 years and have never felt so disillusioned with the job as I do now. Love the fun times I still have with the kids but hate all the paperwork and other nonsense that goes with the job today!

10. So many children just need a little more time. What difference - really - does 6 weeks or so make? When a child is ready they will make strides with ease, beforehand, they can often be made to seem to progress but it isn't true learning or development. Our job is to provide a rich and supportive environment, to challenge and add to their thinking and to open up their minds to the delights of the world of learning.
    (I'm retiring this summer; I can now post these thoughts.)

11. Wise words.