1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every Teacher’s Nightmare

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Jan 18, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Many, many years ago I was on a school trip to Jodrell bank and Trentham Gardens (I think) - anyway we were Year 7s and my Dad was in charge. Everything was going well (I bought an Airfix model of Apollo 11 that day that would take me the next two years to complete) until we stopped at a service station on the M6. My Dad and I were on the same coach - about 20 minutes after we'd left the service station one of my friends came up to me and said "Fred and Joe (not their real names) are not on the coach. The other kids volunteered me to tell Dad as we were related and I duly did. To say he was not pleased would be something of an understatement but we quickly came off at the next junction and headed back again (it was now dark). We found them - Dad practiced his shouting and we returned back home - arriving back about an hour late.

To be fair to Dad it was actually another teacher that was supposed to do the head count and in due course they got a bollocking for it.

But it was a bit tense at home for a few days - I built my model quietly in my bedroom.

Jamvic likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I also had a real - ie not a dream - trip to a beach when a small child wandered off. He was brought back to us after about 15minutes of frantic searching but I promised myself I would never take a school trip to a beach again. As msb said - this trip, in c1987 was a disorganised, casual nightmare.

Jamvic likes this.
  3. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

A hundred years ago I was on a trip to Paris. One of the boys aged 12 did not like being told what to do so walked off in a huff !!! IT TOOK 30 MINUTES until one of the teachers found him, it was a long 30 minutes.

I refuse to go on any trips or arrange any.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've told this story before but it's worth repeating I think - just to show how c**p the teachers of some other schools are on residential trips.

We were in Normandy some years back with about 100 Year 7s from our school staying at a really nice place next to the sea. As a staff we were all very well drilled on these trips and there were always two of us on duty to stop the kids wandering off (not that they would have done). There was another UK school staying at the same venue, their kids were slightly older than ours (Year 8s) and they were not very well behaved (I'm being kind). On about the third night after Dinner I was chatting to some of my form who were there and we noticed about 10 of their kids standing on a pile of rocks in the sea. They were jumping off the rocks into the sea - the sea was a bit "muddy" and you couldn't see what was below the rocks - it was incredibly dangerous. We shouted at them and they ignored us completely so we sent one of our senior teachers off to find their teachers who were nowhere to be seen. She found them some way away sitting round a picnic table (some of them were drinking she said later). She told them what their kids were doing and was basically told to go forth and multiply so she gave them a piece of her mind and came back.

About 10 minutes later one of the kids on the rock slipped and cut his leg very badly on the rocks - as they were nowhere to be seen two of our teachers had to rescue him and made the arrangements to get him to a local hospital. It was still about another 30 minutes before their sh***y teachers came back on the scene and our trip leader took them inside and laid into them.

They had left when we got back the following evening.

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I got to a point in my career, after many years of organising and enjoying lots of school trips, where I said exactly what you say above.

The combination of kids no longer willing or able to follow instructions, the myriad of different SEN’s/meal requirements/food intolerances/allergies/medications I needed to be aware of & monitor. Only having inexperienced NQT’s volunteering to participate and the 40+ pages of pre-trip safeguarding forms that had to be completed by the organiser (me!) on top of the ever increasing teaching workload just took the pleasure out of the whole thing.

The stress of the trip admin became greater than the enjoyment of seeing the kids having new experiences, which was sad.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I won't be going on any more residential trips either - I do day trips only.

Leave it to the youngsters

Jamvic likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Further to my previous post, even when the LEA tried to train teachers how to conduct themselves properly with kids in upland and mountainous areas the courses were a little short of disaster. On one occasion we lost the light at the top of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge in Snowdonia, and had to find our way down with an injured (and not a little obese) party member, the course leader's complete liability of a pooch that couldn't negotiate the boulder terrain, and only one hand torch - mine. The leader and assistant hadn't even taken lights when leading an inexperienced party up a Snowdonia peak. How we didn't go sliding down a steep slope in the pitch dark and rain was nothing short of a miracle. It was pathetic. That was the LEA cutting costs by letting a self-proclaimed mountain expert HT run the course instead of paying for qualified instructors at a local outdoor centre. The man was a disaster area, but at least I learned how not to do it.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Travelling home on a coach full of year 8 from a day trip, the driver nodded off at the wheel. On the M1. I was sitting directly behind him and noticed his head fall to one side. I leapt up and went to sit on that chair they have for the spare driver, and talked at him constantly for the rest of the (now incredibly tense) journey home. During that conversation, I discovered that when he dropped us off he was going off to do a school run. I just couldn’t let that happen, so another member of staff contacted school and the police met the driver at school when we returned.
    He wasn’t in trouble legally, but we knew the police had the power to stop him driving on. Thankfully they did.
    I had a panic attack after it was all over. Never been so scared...

Jamvic, caress and magic surf bus like this.