1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every Teacher’s Nightmare

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Thank goodness the missing 6 year old was eventually found safe. Every future child that ever goes on a trip with the teachers involved will be counted and watched to within an inch of their lives. Can’t imagine the sheer terror & guilt they must have been experiencing during the 9 hour search.

Newport Pagnell: Nine-hour search as boy vanishes from M1 services

More than 1,000 people joined police to search through the night for a six-year-old boy who vanished from an M1 service station while on a school trip.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51159317

nomad and slingshotsally like this.
  2. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I read it and noticed the comment by the police.

‘He was initially thought to be hiding.’

slingshotsally and Jamvic like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes, this all crossed my mind - how on earth did he get away though? He was over half a mile from the service station. I feel sure those staff members will be carpeted on Monday.
    There but for the grace of God...

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Also how on Earth wasn’t a 6 year old spotted wandering around on his own for 9 hours? Beggars belief.

caress and slingshotsally like this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Glad he has been found safe and sound. For some reason the school has not been mentioned.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It will be interesting to know the type of school involved.

Sadly, the possibility still exists that he was temporarily abducted then dumped. I hope the simpler answer of him just wandering off is all that happened.

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Goodness I hope so too :eek:. I’d just assumed that is what had happened which is why I wondered why no one had spotted him wandering around over a 9 hour period.

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In the picture showing him just before he disappeared,he seems to be wearing a rather religious outfit. Do children wear those in state schools?

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It’s probably an independent primary school.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The boy apparently went missing at 7.15pm, at Newport Pagnell - which is still nearly an hour and a half from the school's location in Nottingham.

Isn't a school return time of past 8.30pm in midwinter very late for an outing of six year-olds?

11. florian gassmann

The white topi (cap), if that is what it is, is part of the school uniform for younger boys in many muslim schools.

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I did have a nightmare the other night that I was on a school trip to Venice and when we arrived it was dark and foggy. We were on a beach and I didn't know who was supposed to be in my group and they were all lost.
    :eek:
    ( I retired in 2009)

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Oh no, do you still get school based nightmares after all that time :confused:. I’d hoped they gradually faded away. I still marvel at not having piles of marking to either have to get up extra early or stay up extra late to do. I’ve woken up a couple of times with that ‘what do I need to get done!’ panic in the stomach feeling. It is nice though when my brain kicks in a minute later and I realise that the answer is nothing :).

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s probably it then.

nomad likes this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It is late but I suppose parents must have consented to the trip taking place.

At that age and for such a long day I’d definitely have been in that coach as a ‘parent helper’. I wasn’t fully comfortable with my two on school trips until they were much older tbh. Unfortunately being a teacher myself meant I knew for a fact that there were many of the younger teachers I wouldn’t have left a hamster with let alone my kids :D.

susanrk likes this.
  16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here. I get those moments when I'm watching TV and pottering on TES on the laptop or just before I fall asleep. I panic for a few seconds as I can't remember what classes I have the next day and what they are doing and then,remember,I have none!

Jamvic likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

I was reminded by something on the TV today that many younger teachers may not know about: the dreadful 1971 Cairngorms disaster when a party of 15 year-olds from an Edinburgh school were frozen to death on a Scottish mountain expedition. Five pupils and the assistant team leader died: the only survivors were the youngest pupil and the team leader, both suffered from bad frostbite and hypothermia.

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Long ago I was told a story that I can nearly believe. School outing stops at motorway services. Prior to leaving teachers call the roll. All present. Off we go. Some time later they spot two extras on the bus. From a different school. When they ask them why they're on the bus, the reply is, "Well, your trip seemed better than ours." Untangle that.....in the days before mobile phones!

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

One time I was on a trip with a French exchange group. They counted all the kids back on, but left a teacher behind.
    Another time with a Czech group, I put up with much laughter from the Czech teachers for double checking numbers before letting the coach go.
    Later in the trip, they had a day out in Cambridge (with a different colleague). The Czech teachers thought Cambridge was so nice, they'd stay a bit longer and sent their youngsters back on the bus without them.

I'm not sure I'd want to take a group of 6 year olds quite so far from home.
    (Actually, I don't want to take a group of 6 year olds anywhere!). If I did have to do this, I'd be a bit OCD - children marched to the toilets in manageable groups whether or not they say they want to go, then marched back. No staff coffee:( unless one or two people can get enough for everyone.

Getting out of service areas is quite difficult. The kid showed unusual initiative. I probably won't want to teach him when he gets to the age I normally work with

Jamvic likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A camping trip from the first school I worked in resulted in the death of a pupil. He was allowed to swim out from a beach to retrieve a football that had blown into the sea, and got caught in a rip current. A friend of his who tried to get him back nearly didn't return. The member of staff in charge apparently didn't attempt a rescue, and was neither trained nor equipped to even consider one. Rip currents are easy enough to spot if you've been made aware of them, but this was an inland suburban school treating the sea like it was a municipal pool with a few waves on it.

I will never forget the assembly when the staff member had to explain to the rest of the school what had happened. Ironically he not only kept his job but was later promoted. I'd been on the same trip for the first time the previous year, although there was no beach visit on that occasion. The whole thing had the feel of an amateurish informal church youth club jaunt, not a properly organised school outdoor activities trip. That's why I didn't repeat it the following year.

The LEA tightened up on outdoor activity safety considerably after that. Mountainous area training and so on, although even the standard of that training was at times lacking.

caress and Jamvic like this.