1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every teacher is a teacher of 'wellbeing', says expert

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

'Every teacher is a teacher of wellbeing'

Quite.

The lesson being: if you want to maintain any sense of wellbeing, DON'T become a teacher.

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I'm afraid that Mr Haesler is wrong - PSHE is not my thing, and saying that it is doesn't make it so. He may have more of a point in primary, but a lot of secondary teachers entered the profession because of a love for their subject.

I have taught PSHE to my tutor group in the past, but I hated it, and knew that I wasn't doing it effectively. The most frustrating thing about it was that it was largely pointless - the students know what to do and how to live well, but just choose not to because they're young and impulsive. If you ask a class of year 7 students, "What shouldn't you do?", they'll all put their hands up and say, "Punch each other and eat lard!". Then the bell rings, and they're straight out onto the playground for some lard and a fight.

4. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

Some rather sweeping generalisations in the piece:
    “When a kid takes a selfie they don’t take one – they take 45 then they choose one, they put it through a filter, they crop it then they post it on Facebook and check to see how many likes it has,” he said.
    Really? How many children has he surveyed to come up with this statement?
    and..
    how attached a student feels to their school is the “single biggest predictor of whether a child will suffer from depression”.
    I am assuming that he has some in depth scientific and psychological research to back up this claim.
    Finally, how insulting to us all as teachers (not educators) suggesting that we ignore a child's well being unless it is in a PSHE lesson? With the job, primary especially, becoming more closely linked to social work than anything else, we don't need a separate lesson to show children how to be well rounded and more narcissistic (as he seems to want them to be). Teachers value the children they teach and set a good example in every lesson.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think it explains the apparent shortage of STEM teachers.

We, the STEM teachers, think we signed up to an utterly different job to the one this 'expert' believes we have signed up to and efforts by people like him to make us do the job they believe in is why we're leaving.

BetterNow and elder_cat like this.
  6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Another attempt to cover up bad or inadequate parenting.

It will fail.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well being used to be an important and rewarding part of the job. Then the targets moved in, nothing was allowed to be good enough, and the well being of everyone went out of the window. We had odd days when we'd pretend well being was important, but we all knew that targets were more important.

9. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

While I agree with the sentiment that too much emphasis is being placed on teachers for welfare issues that are the responsibility of parents, the idea that you get into teaching for a love of your subject rather than an interest in the needs of your students suggests you received poor career advice.

Part of growing up is making mistakes and ignoring sensible advice. That doesn't diminish the value or importance of issuing the advice. If you work with children and young people this IS your responsibility.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Every teacher is a teacher of 'wellbeing', says expert

He does not seem to quote any research?

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But he's an 'expert' so how dare you question him!

The thing is that it will become another thing for teachers to do, another box to tick, another thing on your performance management. Of course, in the past teachers did all this naturally and didn't need to be told and monitored for compliance.

BetterNow likes this.
  12. aplipso

aplipso New commenter

13. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

What about the wellbeing of the teachers? You are adding more **** onto their plates to do if you are expecting them to handle this. Sure, I'm a great believer in slipping in some PSHE type stuff if it works with course content but all the time?

BetterNow likes this.
  14. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

Having worked in EBD in one of my last jobs, it's almost certainly true what is being said in the article. However, the poisonous juxtaposition between a context ignorant agenda chasing PISA tables whilst espousing on the face of things, rhetoric like that negates it somewhat. You have to provide time for these relationships and levels of trust about these matters to develop. It's not a box to be ticked. Though there's the rub, it is.

JohnJCazorla and Moony like this.
  15. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

And if you ask how important this is, it turns out school belonging is more important in terms of wellbeing than how attached they are to their parents.

Whom did he ask - the children ?

how attached a student feels to their school is a "very strong predictor of whether a child will suffer from depression"

I assume he refers here to any child who has a 'strong attachment' with their school, and yet feels marginalised or unaccepted by their peers?

"When a kid takes a selfie they don’t take one – they take 45 then they choose one, they put it through a filter, they crop it then they post it on Facebook and check to see how many likes it has", he said.

“And you know what? It’s never enough. Kids don’t love themselves. If they did they would take one and just put it up, or maybe they wouldn’t even do that. They have outsourced their sense of self worth.”

1. I imagine that a lot of them are simply emulating their parents in this respect.
    2. Given that their future prospects rely on their ability to achieve academically, has their sense of self worth not already been outsourced ?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

How is this person a well-being expert? He trained as an English and P.E. teacher and taught for 10 years. I couldn't find anything that actually gave any further credentials.

17. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

expert.png