1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every single teacher should read this thread on Mumsnet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Robsia, Sep 29, 2010.

1. It's a rollercoaster ride of whiny self-pity, anally-retentive grudge-bearing and massive ego.
    It reminds me why I never go on Mumsnet.

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Some of them still haven't worked out that when Sir or Miss said they'd only get a D grade and were lazy, s/he was goading them into putting in some effort. That they then went on to get a B or a C (SO THERE!) would not have surprised their teachers at the time.
    Mind you, I failed English in end of year tests EVERY year in Grammar school and my teacher didn't even want to enter me for the O level. I was assertive for the first time in 5 years when I insisted on doing the exams. I got a Grade 1 and a Grade 3 (grade 6 was the lowest pass grade) and my teacher actually contacted the JMB board for a re-mark as she was objecting to me taking 3 A levels (not English!) based on my O level results. My grades stood.
    What she didn't know was that from being confident at Primary school, I became afraid to voice any opinions or hazard any answers that risked being wrong because my mother had warned me quite forcefully (shouting at me and jabbing her finger) not to say or do anything at Grammar school that would reflect badly on my father (a deputy, soon to be head, at one of the feeder Primary schools).
    I clearly remember entering the exam hall in 1970 and feeling free to be creative and write what I liked (no coursework, thank god) as neither the teachers, nor my parents, would ever know what I'd written.
    I therefore forgive you, Miss ........ aaaargh, I've forgotten her name!

3. [​IMG]

4. How is it whiny? It's memories from school days that's all. Not a personal attack on all teachers so no need to take it personally.

5. I haven't taken it personally. It was an objective observation.
    Which was your contribution?

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

this one amused me.
    Dr Watts - yes we all laughed and loved it when you used to let us have a
    water fight with pipettes after the last chemistry lesson of the term.
    Looking back it was obviously a bit wierd that you permitted 30 girls
    with white shirts to do this whilst you sat there and watched.

7. Yes, very objective, I could see that...

I don't think I mentioned making a contribution, did I? Or do I have to be from mumsnet to disagree with you? Interesting.

8. Totally agree Lily - Mumsnet is terrible. I read it every now and then to remind myself of what parents really think of teachers.

9. Mumsnet is even worse than this forum

10. You seemed to take it personally.

11. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Mumsnet makes me laugh. It's where I go when I'm feeling a bit down.
    Then I think, "Well, it could be worse, look at these poor women struggling with their G&T children who simply refuse to eat their organic wheat free yumyums, and are being picked on by the nasty teachers who obviously have it in for their family, because their older child was picked on by teachers too."
    Yes, I am being a bit of a snob [​IMG]

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Right, I read it.
    Would someone please explain why it was important that I should have so done?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But you are on there, aren't you...

I managed half a dozen posts - I don't know why I *should* read it.

14. Mumsnet? i think I'd rather eat my own faeces.

15. Was anyone listening to Richard Madeley standing in for Chris Evans on Radio 2 yesterday morning? He had an email in type slot about all the horrible injustices that people had been subjected to by their teachers. Biggest load of fictional tripe I've heard in a long time. The Idiot Madeley followed it up with the comment 'teachers are all loony'.
    Wanted to jump through the radio and punch his Daily Express face in.
    I don't think I could bring myself to care what they say on Mumsnet if my life depended on it.

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Who's looking after these women's precious offspring while they are on mumsnet? I think we should be told!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Perhaps their DHs are looking after their DDs and DSs.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

god I hate that. Pass the sick bag!

19. i'm impressed - i only managed 3