1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every lesson outstanding or good - how??!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mccormack, Mar 13, 2012.

1. How can you ensure every lesson is outstanding or good - no time, i'm working evenings and weekends and i've been teaching for 6 years, am finding it really tough!! Any advice?!

2. How can you ensure every lesson is outstanding or good - no time, i'm working evenings and weekends and i've been teaching for 6 years, am finding it really tough!! Any advice?!

3. I'm tempted to say you can't. I can pull an outstanding lesson out of the bag at anytime. I know that the majority of my lessons are good or outstanding, but I wouldn't say that every lesson is like that. Have the children's learning at the heart of every lesson. What do they need in order to improve? Have a good relationship with the children. Can you have a laugh with them? Can you make their learning meaningful? Can you relate it to them?
    There's no magic solution to an outstanding lesson. Someone could give you an 'good' lesson and it could be made outstanding or satisfactory depending on the way it is delivered. Does the teacher use continuous assessment? Can they adapt the learning on the spot to suit?

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

I don't want to be seen as a good or outstanding teacher. I want to be seen as a teacher who understands the children in their class, understands what each child achieves (for them) in each lesson, understands outside influences which means that behaviour issues at a certain time may be more important than academic issues, understands that sometimes children have to re-trace their steps before moving on, understands that communicating at difficult times in a child's life can be more important than a single lesson, understands that academic achievements are not the be all and end all and finally to be seen as a teacher who cares for the child as an individual and that you cannot push a square peg into a round hole, no matter how many 'experts' say you can.

Sorry. Fightinng your corner can be a ***!
    I am not perfect and know there is always room for improvement but I am fed up with statistics (which can be manipulated) being more important than the children. [​IMG]

5. I spent around 3 hours planning/preparing for an observation lesson yesterday and whilst there were many good points highlighted, nothing went wrong, I felt it went well and every single child understood the learning objective and engaged with the activitiy - I still only got a satisfactory with many elements of good.
    Apparently in order to make my lesson good I needed to ask my higher ability a few more questions (It was descriptive writing in Literacy - I asked my HA to suggest some similies, which they did. I guess I could have asked them to describe the actions with adverbs but as far as Im aware the extension of their ability was the similes which they offered to the session without needing prompting) and ensure my TA was engaging constantly so the first 2 minutes of the lesson when I was explaining the LO/SC and my entire class were sitting listening (therefore she was not interfering) - I was graded down for this. At that point in the lesson, there was nothing she could contribute because I wanted every child to hear the LO (And not have her whispering in their ear for the sake of the observer) and even my behaviour issue children were engaging. She could have been recording assessments - but for what purpose? "So-and-so listened to the learning objective."?
    I find the assessment of teaching is so based on the ticking of boxes and not the learning of the children. For my class, with a bunch of unruly boys whom I struggle to engage in writing, the lesson went very very well and I dared to believe I might get my first good!

Goodness knows what my day-to-day teaching that I dont spend hours preparing for looks like! And my marking wasn't indepth enough even though I mark in line with our policy and they are only Y2s. If I planned/prepared and marked as she wanted me to for every lesson, I wouldn't sleep at night! So I will take my poxy satisfactory safe in the knowledge that children in my class are still happy and learning,

6. Don't take it to heart Impulce - I think they have decided what they are going to grade you before they begin the obs.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

To get better than a satisfactory under new criteria, every child must make more than satisfactory progress. If we take satisfactory as being broadly average, this means that every child has to make above average progress. Anyone with a Y6 grasp of maths would be able to understand that this is completely nonsensical. So, if the system is proven to be nonsense, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it

8. I completely agree nick. I thinks its impossible to be consistently good/outstanding. I've been teaching for 11 years and up until the last year or so have always had 'good' observations. However now I seem to be getting 'satisfactory'. I don't believe my teaching has deteriorated, in fact if anything I'd like to think I've improved!! To be honest I don't take much notice of it all. How can every child make better than expected progress in every lesson? We'll be expected to teach the A level syllabus at primary to these accelerated learners soon!!!

9. Firerose

Firerose New commenter

I get consistent goods and last observation from my head I got a good with elements of outstanding. At the end of the day outstanding and good are just words - when you take a step back they really don't mean very much. Not to take away from anyone who achieves these in lessons but at the end of the day you as the class teacher are the best and sometimes the only one who can judge whether the lesson went well and whether it was effective or not. Not a stranger or someone who pops in for an hour here and there. You know your children and can judge the improvement they have made, the steps they have taken towards success and their achievement.
    There was a story in the NUT magazine last week about a library lesson being judged as satisfactory because the children spent the majority of the lesson reading (shock horror!)

10. KateMc78 - I could have written your post, I too have recently had my 1st satisfactory observation for at least 5 years - done by new HT. I was the only staff member who got this! Was beating myself up for days but after reading stuff on here and after doing Spring term levels and finding that everyone is making progress I decided that no one's going to dock my wages so why get stressed. UNTIL TONIGHT! Just been told about ofsted "no notice" visits and told that we have to be "Ofstted ready" with an outstanding lesson at all times. Also if every teacher in the school is graded outstanding except one, the best the school can get is good.
    Have spent my evening so far investigating other careers as I'm sick of working my balls off and it never being enough.

11. Firerose

Firerose New commenter

Ofsted tod use in summer that teaching and learning across school was good and some outstanding but we only got a satisfactory visit overall as a school because attainment is so low (Bham, lots of EAL, . . . and all that). So basically they are saying that we could all work ourselves into an early grave to be outstanding but it won't make any difference because the kids still aren't doing well enough by Year 6.
    This is not taking into account that they arrive in EYFS with no English and poor starting levels of course ;)

12. Cupsy

Cupsy New commenter

Totally agree that OFSTED have changed the goal posts. I have been teaching for 10 years now and previously all my observations were a solid good or good with outstanding elements. However, my last observation was satisfactory as I had "challenged one group of children too much". This comment related to 4 children out of a class of 30. Despite this, I think I teach better now than before and overall progress in the class is good, so I must be doing something right.

13. Merlymoo- I think you are me on a parallel universe! I too am sat levelling end of term assessments feeling p***ed off and difflated with it all. Had a staff meeting tonight and were basically all told we need to get our acts together for the new ofsted. I will be going on maternity leave from July and to be honest it can't come soon enough! Nothing seems to be good enough in teaching anymore! Just keep telling myself its only a job!!!

14. Oh and like you merlymoo, my class have done really well in the assessments, I'm really proud of them all!! We must be doing something right!!

15. Lucky you with an exciting escape plan. Hope it all goes well.
    I cannot face another 20+ years of this!

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

What doesn't make sense is the notion that making everything harder will improve standards. It's like saying that making tests harder will make improve standards. Hang on - they're planning to do this as well, aren't they? Just as there's a belief that more frequent observations will lead to better teaching. Ummm....anyone spotting a pattern here?
    What gets me is why no-one seems to have questioned the fact that Ofsted have singularly failed in what they were set up to do - raise standards. So why are we being made to feel like it's the teachers' faults and therefore being punished by being forced to jump through more hoops by the same inspectors who have clearly failed in their jobs?
    I wouldn't have an issue with Ofsted if they did what they should be doing: supporting schools that are struggling. There is clearly no support at all. It's all about punishment.

17. Perhaps we should be making more of this: 'Ofsted is unsatisfactory and needs to go'.
    Everyone in teaching that I know seems thoroughly demoralised and seriously considering other options. Not that there are too many of those.

18. Surely your TA was modelling good learning behaviour, ie sitting properly, looking at the teacher and listening carefully. This should not be underestimated. I would not have done differently. Whether your HT would agree may be another matter.

With regard to an outstanding 'lesson' I have some problems with this. As has been said on other forums and in TES on numerous occasions - though perhaps not read by ofsted - lessons do not occur in a vacuum. They are part of a sequence. Learning should be good/outstanding over a sequence of lessons but you will not see all features of an outstanding lesson in every single session. Some lessons will be about hooking pupils' interests, helping them come up with questions or theories and then planning how to answer them, and yes, sometimes, they could involve watching the dvd of Romeo and Juliet for a large section of the lesson. If there is no follow up discussion or activity, then yes there is a wasted learning opportunity, but just because all elements are not explored in the one lesson does not mean it will not happen in the next lesson(s).

I think I do a good job of teaching pupils in my care. They enjoy coming to school, enjoy most of their lessons and learn and make progress. Do all of my lessons tick every box on the outstanding list? No. Could they? I don't see how. I think the features of outstanding teaching are useful reminders of what we should be aiming for over a period of lessons but I really hope that the bigger picture will be taken into account when assessing teaching, rather than making judgements on how many boxes can be ticked in 25 minutes.

Is the next thing going to be a stash of 'ofsted-ready' lessons that teachers can deliver at the drop of a hat - regardless of what they were actually going to be doing that day - ie lessons that provide opportunity to tick all these boxes?

19. I teach in EYFS and the 'progress in every lesson' is rubbish! It just CANNOT happen, not in my class, they are 4 years old.
    I've been teaching for 16 years and I love my job but the pressure we are feeling at my school is crazy. We think Ofsted will visit some time in 2012-13 and after 2 satisfactory gradings from Ofsted we need to 'up our game' (this is our head's new phrase)
    One member of staff is thinking of leaving he is so demoralised. It's just awful.
    Lou

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've been out of full time teaching for a few years, doing 1-1, supply and private tutoring. A big part of me wants to go back to part / full time as I do deeply love working with the children, enabling them to make progress and in providing them with a decent education. I talk to my teacher friends, see what they do, read the forums and quite frankly it makes me really think if a decision to return is sensible. I think I have a lot to offer but my biggest problem is a psychological fear of observations. I absolutely hate it. I think there are some deep reasons for this stemming back to when I was much younger.
    I know that observations and judgements are key in this game. And they worry me and that shows in observations. So I really wonder if going back to a profession that I think I am actually ok at is sensible? Or will my mental health suffer?