1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Every Child a Level 5 English in 2011

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eddiecarron, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I am an Educational researcher, currently running a national research project called Every Child a Level 5 in English in 2012. The project started in Sept 2010 and is now about halfway through. I would like to have a few schools joining at this halfway point, to produce a separate database of outcomes. It is entirely possible for any enthusiastic teacher to achieve a 100% pass in the next KS2 tests. There are no cost implications whatsoever. Anyone who would like to receive a copy of the resources CD free of charge, need only email me their school address. If you need to boost your KS2 English results this year - this is definitely the means of doing it. Email eddiecarron@btconnect.com

2. I am an Educational researcher, currently running a national research project called Every Child a Level 5 in English in 2012. The project started in Sept 2010 and is now about halfway through. I would like to have a few schools joining at this halfway point, to produce a separate database of outcomes. It is entirely possible for any enthusiastic teacher to achieve a 100% pass in the next KS2 tests. There are no cost implications whatsoever. Anyone who would like to receive a copy of the resources CD free of charge, need only email me their school address. If you need to boost your KS2 English results this year - this is definitely the means of doing it. Email eddiecarron@btconnect.com

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I notice on your website that you use the phrase 'normally endowed.' What about children with global delays? I don't want to sound unduly sceptical but, in this era of inclusion, I think your claim is perhaps a little inflated.

4. My claim is very precise and unlike most Educational claims, will be readily verifiable when the next set of KS2 restuls are published. The term 'normally endowed' applies to 98.5% of the population and is widely used in Eductional reports. You say what about 'global delays'? What about Dyslexics or those from culturally or socially deprived backgrounds, those with spina bifida, cerebral palsy, Downes etc etc. Becoming inevitably literate requires the assimilation of a range of literacy skills. Skills acquisition, unlike IQ, are not normatively distrubuted. The Literacy Suite of resources which is currently in use and freely on offer, guarantees the acquistion of reading, wriitng, listening, spelling and grammar skills to all 'normally endowed' children as already defined.
    The proof of the pudding is, as the say, in the eating. Accept my challenge if you teach Years 5 or 6 children and let me send you a copy of the resources CD - no charge- no costs whatsoever.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Itried to email you but could spot the 'send' thingy!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

couldn't

7. It should work if you click on the email address eddiecarron@btconnect.com
    If it doesn't the create a new email placing the addess in the 'to' line.
    Alternatively, post your Title, school and postcode.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you mean every child a level 4 by end KS2?

9. No. I meant every 'normally endowed' child a Level 5 English in 2011. This project however started in Sept 2010 and is already well on its way.The aim for any school joing starting at this halfway point is of course more restricted and certainly quite unknown. I do however anticipate that even at this point, it is possible, given some enthusiasm, to get every 'normally endowed' child to Level 4 and a high proportion to Level 5. A 'normally endowed' child is one who has no specific learning difficulties and this applies to some 98.5% of the population.
    All you have to do is email me your name and school and the resource CD will be sent - no costs - no advertising - no registration - no hidden implications. Try me!

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

When you say every child a level 5, I presume you mean every child able to score enough marks on a KS2 test to attain level 5? Marvellous... I'm so relieved to know that even more children will have the necessary hoop-jumping training to bluff their way through the test.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Your OP said 'every child a level five' so you've backtracked a little.

If you're in a one form entry school with 28 children of whom four are not within the 98.5, then you'e got problems.

12. Eddie, I know of the excellent work you have been doing with reading (we have exchanged emails in the past) and I could see that level 5 expectations are reasonable.
    I am just wondering if you have extended that to cover writing as well, and if so, how you can have the same success in writing as reading, which normally lags well behind reading.
    To others reading this ... there is much potential with Eddie's work and he is very generous in sharing!

(Me?... no longer teaching!!!)

13. That is not accurate and I have not backtracked. The project title is Every Child a Level 5 English in 2011. That is its title. In the description I expand this title to include the term 'normally endowed' to identify the target group more precisely. Even in Finland and Puerto Rico which have the highest literacy results in the world, they never get results higher than 98.5% because most teachers will know that there is a small percentage of children (1.5%) for whom literacy is simply not achievable. Indisuputable KS2 data over 20 years shows that routinely only about one third of children achieve Level 5 English. My many decadesof experience suggest that this could be raised to 98.5%. The msot any teacher can achieve is to ensure that every child achieves his or her potential. Why should such a desirable objective attract your disproval?

14. Yes - this is not simply a 'reading scheme' It is a Literacy Skills boosting suite of resources which embraces all of the literacy skills, viz reading, writing, spelling, grammar, listening and thinking skills. Normally endowed children for whom Level 3 or lower is predicted spend the first term focused on reading skills and in that first term, the reading skills are brought to at least a reading age of 9 which is sufficient to tackle the more demanding skills work in terms 2 and 3. This suite deals only with 'skills' and skills respond only to practice. What it takes to make a good reader is simply 'lots of reading practice.' and this is the strategy used in the approach. - no phonics wahtseover. I trust that those many of you who have requested a copy of the package will post their views quite soon.

15. Secondary school teachers say quite clearly that only Level 5 English is sufficient to enable children to tackle the secondary school English syllabus. I visited a school using this approach last week and there was no question of anyone 'jumping through hoops' - these were children with restored self confidence in their own ability and potential. I use the word 'restored' because I know that they did not come to school with the hang-dog expession of failure. They acquired that expression gradually as their self-confidence was destroyed by inappropriate teaching.

16. In response to several direct emails, I take the view that if a child can reach Year 3 having had four years of synthetic phonics (Nursery and Years 1 and 2) and still have a significant deficit in literacy skills, it has to be worth trying something else. Synthetic Phonics is the best initial teaching method there is but not necessarily the best remedial route for children over the age of 8. The Literacy Suite project has four significant features. They are (1) it has no phonics content whatsoever. (2) all pupils love it (3) it never fails to boost all literacy skills and (4) it costs nothing To those who have asked for CDs, be patient - they are on their way and they areworth waiting for!

17. To tafkam: When a child is lying on a settee, thumb in mouth, lost in one of the Harry Potter books, I would not describe that child as ‘jumping through hoops!’ I would instead describe that child instead as having acquired the skills necessary to enter one of many magical worlds, created by magical authors. That child received that gift from a teacher with a positive outlook on life who recognises the value of teaching a love of reading and not one of those more negative characters who draw a teacher’s salary but fail to inspire anyone.

18. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Eddie, it sounds interesting to me. But I warn you I am not a primary school teacher, so I don't know if I can take up your offer. I have helped out with poor readers and writers in years 5 and 6 on a voluntary basis. I have felt frustrated with the materials that have been provided for me to use with this children, but as a volunteer felt powerless to take in things which I would have felt would have been better ( ........... namely, some good books ....... !!!).
    I would love to have a copy of your CD-rom and see if I can use it in some way in my volunteering, one to one. Does it have appropriate material for this, or is it aimed at group-work only?
    I would be giving you my home address, not a school address. As this is only an internet forum, is there somewhere I can read a little more about you before doing this?

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Rather thapost my email on a forum, I'm going to 'private message' you.
    Thank you very much.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops - I've managed to send the message three times. Sorry!