1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Everest Queue

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, May 25, 2019.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Astonishing picture showing a recent queue for the summit of Mount Everest.

And I thought the queue on Snowdon was bad some days. ;)

[​IMG]

lanokia and peakster like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There's so so so much wrong with climbing Everest, it makes me really sad.
    In a nutshell, the purity, reverence and symbolism of it has been and continues to be thoroughly desecrated in the name of point scoring, both by those who will to conquer her, and by the lands which straddle her.

btw "Her" just happened when I wrote this post.

cissy3, les25paul and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Me too and while I can appreciate the appeal of going out into the wilderness and the peace and amazing sensation of climbing a mountain with noone else around I just don't get the appeal of this mass tourism mountaineering. It just seems so self-contradictory. Big word because I can't express it properly but I'm sure you know what I mean.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But correct, the local Tibetan name for Everest is Chomolungma which means something like "Mother Goddess of the World". It was called that long before a British surveyor called George Everest identified it as the World's highest peak in 1856.

The Nepalis call "Her" Sagarmatha but I'm not sure what that means. In my opinion one of those names should be adopted, George Everest never even went to Chomolungma/Sagarmatha he only saw "Her" from a distance.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's the drive to do the best, simply in order to say "I am the best". For me, this makes the worst person, although maybe I'm just being contrary.
    The world of pro mountaineering supports an abhorrent (to me) streak of tick listing the top ten of the world's tallest peaks. It's a mindset that feeds itself, and makes for a self inflated circle of elite climbers who are happy to talk about the heights they achieved rather than the vistas they tasted. It's like sitting round a campfire-most people singing, eating, drinking, joking, snogging, contemplating whatever. And then two people sitting talking far later than anybody else about the camping kit they brought with them. The better the kit, the better the camper.
    The higher the mountain, the better the climber.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Established commenter

It looks horrific.

I was lucky enough to visit Everest back in 1991 and climbed Kala Patar, from where you get the classic view of Everest. We went in January which is out of season so very quiet. I'm so glad I went then. On the day we climbed Kala Patar we didn't see anyone apart from our Sherpa guide and a rather grubby little boy who offered us a cup of tea at Gorak Shep.

les25paul likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

"Everest has killed 7 people in as many days."

When they fit airtight double glazing, they mean airtight.

9. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I think the Nepali version means pretty much the same, if I remember rightly something like mother of the universe.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It means "wisdom of the sky"
    Actually if you Google it, it will tell you variously "forehead" or"head" " in the sky" but I have it from a Nepali speaker that there is an additional nuance to using the word "forehead" in Nepali which evades the more mainstream (maybe Western) translation, the forehead representing a questing surge towards intelligence and a place to store it-so-wisdom.

les25paul likes this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

While browsing tourism info recently I saw places described not as beautiful, or interesting, or impressive but as instagrammable. Instagrammable.

towncryer and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Like the A14 - only colder.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  13. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Actually George Everest had no connection to the mountain. He was surveyor general of India from 1830-1843, but had retired to England many years before it was identified by one of the Indian computers as the world's highest peak. (Computers were people who did calculations.)

Sagarmatha means something like "one whose forehead touches the sky" but is a relatively new name adopted by the Nepalese government when they made the area a national park. I prefer the Tibetan name which is much older.

nomad likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's still f***ing steep.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..and it's still hard to get to the summit on a pogo stick.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

or on one of these...

upload_2019-5-25_14-45-2.jpeg

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Isn't the internet wonderful

I couldn't remember what space hoppers were called so I typed into google..

"What are those orange bouncy things called"

...and voila

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What can you see from the top? More bloody mountains? What's the point?

My back garden is far more picturesque.

towncryer likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You can see what can be seen from the top of Everest online these days, as we have seen how picturesque your garden is, @grumpydogwoman, and thank you for posting pictures of it. There is no point whatsover in anyone taking the risk of breaking their neck by scaling either Everest or your garden fence to study the view.

It's all a bit like having the name of the right school or university on your CV, ain't it? You can go the the very best that money can buy and actually achieve sod all, but if you can put them on your CV it might mean something to someone; and in this age of BS achievements and award ceremonies for being able to wipe your arrse by yourself, why not add Everest to the list as well?

Jamvic and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Virtually every British back garden is more picturesque than litter-strewn Everest or the view therefrom.

towncryer likes this.