1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever taken a sick day?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thethiefoftime, Oct 21, 2015.

1. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Am I the only one who has to take an occasional day off sick (self-certified) simply because you feel so overwhelmed with work? So you are not ACTUALLY ill but just can't face going in?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know the answer to that question; you may or may not be the only one.

And in fact it might be illness, if you are feeling unable to cope. This sounds like stress and anxiety. And I sympathise with you for this.

But I'd just like to add a little word of warning. Falsely certifying yourself as sick when you are not is misconduct, you know. So take care with what you do and say.

Best wishes

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Many times. It's just a job after all, and you get the obligatory kick in the nuts whether you've had a day off or not.

And as for the 'your colleagues have to pick up the slack' argument, when you've had colleagues like I have...:mad:

thethiefoftime and Rhoswen77 like this.
  4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It would be interesting to know what would happen if you rang in sick and when you certify when you get back you say stress and anxiety.

thethiefoftime likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Indeed. If you 'can't face' going in, this is stress/anxiety/depression and you may well be 'genuinely' ill!

Look at the flip side. How many times do teachers go in looking like Death warmed up, croaking 'I can't let the kids down' when asked what the hell they are doing!

rachelcg, mark6243 and thethiefoftime like this.
  6. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

I will admit that I have ,in the past pulled a sick day when my workload has been overwhelming. However, I have not done so recently. Indeed I have not even gone sick when I have been genuinely ill. This is because the school have a " return to work" interview policy if you have one day or more off.
    I do not wish to be so quizzed. I have witnessed this policy being used to bully staff - and in one case the line manager even used it to bring up issues which triggered a disciplinary process and , following that an ET..... which was settled out of court I think.

But nonetheless. I have no wish to be put on the spot for daring to take a day off. If I am ill, I usually try to go in and leave part way through the day- that way I have taken less than a day off.

But its not a good situation. Part of modern work practices though unfortunately.

7. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

No you are not the only one.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

PS I know of teachers historically who took a day off when they had covered a day's worth of lessons! And I know of a teacher who, every year, took the same two days off per year due to meeting up with friends in another part of the country!

(Disclaimer, not condoning either of the above!)

Maybe this thread illustrates that 'duvet days' would be useful!

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I tended to go in regardless of how ill I was, and then would get sent home by someone in authority - so it was their fault I was off sick not mine.

10. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I haven't when it's been workload that's been overwhelming. I have when workload is overwhelming, I'm exhausted, tearful and cannot face the children or the staff at school. A day to try and breathe and put everything into perspective so that I don't have a huge crisis and end up off with stress for six months is preferable.

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I would just mention the number of staff who go int school when either ill and not having taken any time off..... or returned to school before fully fit. I know I can put my hand up to the latter. After a bad car accident when I was hit at 103mph by a Jag..... I went back into school when not fully fit and by doing so affected the insurance claim I had against the other driver (who was convicted of dangerous driving) I was worried that my GCSE group were not being provided for (it was the run up to exams)

I could also mention the several school holiday times when I went down with one of the many illnesses that the kids had been sent into school with because their parents wouldn't/didn't take time off work to look after them. Christmas hols were favourites if I remember correctly. Teaching PE would see you with said pupils armed with their PE excuse notes breathing all over you.... also as a Head of Year I would often have to see to kids who had been sent into school ill - one was the greenest pallor I have ever seen !

My GP told me that she always knew when it was school holiday times because of the number of teachers in her surgery!

12. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

If I had a pound for each time I've become ill as soon as we've broken up for a holiday :( Got a sore throat now infact....o_O

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I would have thought that return to work interviews after any absence were standard practice in any line of work now. In any case they should also be used to establish if you need any additional support or adjustments.

14. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

But they are not in my experience. They are used to bully and to threaten staff such that they will not dare to " go sick". That is a management problem ( like so many other things).

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Support or adjustments are sometimes to be avoided and for this reason I would be wary of attempting to self-certify stress or depression.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I suppose I'm lucky in that even though we have a pretty robust sickness policy I've never been involved while with my company in any return to work discussion which wasn't constructive and compassionate.

17. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

At best, it's filed and ignored.
    At worst, you are summoned to a meeting during your free period or at lunchtime and asked to explain exactly why you are so inadequate that you can't manage your workload.

18. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've gone in plenty of times when I couldn't speak a word - not even a whisper. No-one EVER suggested I go home. Not anyone with the ability to make it happen that is.

I was once in work in floods of tears having heard the news of a close friend's death during the night. A friend suggested I go home. Management came to seem me and told me I wouldn't be paid if I went home. They gave me a pen and paper and told me to write down some cover work before I left. I took two days off, plus the weekend and returned on Monday. I was docked for two days. I tried reminding them that when I had a tumour removed from my knee joint I was back in work, stitches and all, the following day. Didn't make a difference.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

One teacher at my school used to lose her voice regularly and would come in and whisper her lessons. Sometimes for days on end.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Totally unacceptable.

Absolutely ghastly for you, @Eva_Smith I hope that you managed to restrain your highly understandable feelings of hatred towards whoever did that.

Totally, totally unacceptable.

Best wishes

notsonorthernlass likes this.