1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been stopped by the police ... ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Pathetic

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A person would never have coined the term 'fitted up'if it hadn't been shown to be an unfortunately not uncommon occurrence, as evidenced by many prominent cases.

How would you feel if when you did something perfectly legal in your private life, such as driving your car, or having a drink in your garden or any number of other things that another person might object to, someone complained to the police and they came round to 'warn you' about it, and then suggested that your innocent activity might somehow escalate into something entirely different? The reaction most people, when hearing that I like, say, to go swimming in the sea naked, is to wonder if it's cold, because most people are grown ups and don't automatically make some kind of weird link between liking the sea on your skin and being a sex offender. Given the number of actual sex offences the police have chosen to ignore, against, for example, hundreds of vulnerable teenage girls, it is surprising that they have time to drive miles to 'warn' a person not to do something that isn't a crime.

3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

It was clear (and I’m sure that was green when I was breathalysed myself). That’s why they sent for another breathalyser. They obviously thought it should be positive but he hadn’t been drinking and no matter how many breathalysers they used, the result would have been the same.
    It’s not, of course but I don’t think sitting waiting in Tesco’s car park in the hope of finding someone they can stop is best use of their time. They were doing it because it was Christmas Eve and they thought they might catch someone after a work party probably. Lazy policing but that wasn’t what bothered me. It was their unpleasant attitude and attempts to humiliate me as much as possible after they stopped me. Deliberately alienating members of the public for no good reason doesn’t make for the best PR.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We were also stopped by police driving down the Desert Highway in Jordan. The speed limit was 120kph and o/h was doing 160kph! The top cop spoke good English and asked to see passports, told us we were "Welcome in Jordan", then fined o/h 20JD instead of the 40JD it should have been.
    We found it highly amusing that most of our journey from Amman had been avoiding camels straying across the Highway!