1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been stopped by the police ... ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

First time was after pub throw out time ( I was sober) The little, gold mini I had then....wouldn’t start - no lights working either. Up comes a flat capped policeman (ie not just an ordinary PC) In panic mode I just wailed “My battery’s flat!” Cue officer, dead-pan face asking me “Why, what shape should it be?” It took me a couple of minutes to realise he was being funny as I was in such a state of panic!

My 2nd occasion was rather more serious. I had been to see my friend. She had given me a (small) glass of wine at her house prior to us going out to eat. I had one glass of wine at the pub and it was really late when we ate (9pm and I had a salad) Where I used to live the builders had built an infrastructure of an estate road with anti speed measures of what amounted to ramps made of like half- bricks. The borough itself hates car drivers and there are speed ramps anywhere they could cram them too. Well my local garage mechanic had advised me not to drive over these ramps with both front wheels at same time but to rather “slalom” them /take them at am angle - to prevent problems for steering etc. so at midnight there I was on an empty(as I thought) road leading home, merrily ‘slaloming’ these wretched ‘barricades”. I then heard the siren and got the blue light treatment. Up comes the PC.... cue me babbling.....re my number of speed ramp impacts a day (104 impacts!) as I was taking MrREMfan to work and back each day !! I told him what the mechanic had told me.....He told me to stay put while he went back to his vehicle....I had visions of a failed breath test and the ban I might get....how would I get to school...total panic.... I was frantically trying towrk out whether I would be over the limit (on balance I thought not) Anyway he came back and unsmilingly informed me he had run out of breathalysers! I told him again that I was only driving like that as the road was empty and I was just trying to minimise damage to my car. He seemed to accept that and asked me where I lived - like 400m away! He let me go! I was in a right state TIL about 4am as I couldn’t get to sleep because of the panic.
    Shortly afterwards the council adapted the ramps on the estate and ‘smoothed’ them out making the impact much reduced. I was also much more wary re ‘slaloming’ speed bumps!

install and caress like this.
  3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

A police car drew up alongside us in Largs just after we got off the train - on our honeymoon (over fifty years ago if you’re thinking ‘Largs?’) It had taken two trains to get there and the second train - from Glasgow - was so late that the station taxi drivers had all gone home to bed. The place was deserted. We were looking for a taxi when the car stopped and two police officers asked where we were going. They offered us a lift to our hotel for which we were very grateful but we did hope that our manner of arrival hadn’t been noticed by hotel staff.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

As a child in the 50's. I lived in Canada. Driving back from the States into Quebec my Father decided to take a back road.

The main highways had gates to stop you at the customs posts but little villages on the boarder simply had a building at the side of the road. My Father, not having done the route before, drove past the customs post without seeing it and stopping. The next thing we knew was a police car full lights and sirens overtaking us and forcing us to stop by slewing across our path.

I can clearly remember all four doors of the police car flying open and four policemen jumping out with guns in their hands just like in the films. They spreadeagled my Father on the bonnet of our car and had a quick look inside our car. We were then taken back to the customs post where the car seats and bits and pieces were all stripped out to search the car. They even stuck a probe inside the petrol tank. But we were eventually allowed on our way. I don't now what the police may have said to my Father.

All a bit frightening.

dumpty likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed - mine was mistaken identity but still scary. I parked up the motorbike at a motel (think it was Nevada) and suddenly saw a procession of police cars bombing towards the car park. I thought 'man, someone is in trouble'

Next thing I know 5 cars come flying at me and box me against the wall. A few more block the road behind them.

To be fair as soon as they heard my accent they calmed down - apparently someone had just robbed a bike 'on a red Honda'....I was indeed on a red Honda.

Had to wait for an eye witness to be driven to the car park and once he said 'was not him' I was a free man again.

install and TCSC47 like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Going to Blackburn ice rink in a coach with my son's hockey team. Blackburn Rovers were at home to someone (Might have been Spurs) and we were stuck in the football traffic. As we passed the ground the Police were directing all coaches into the car park. We drove straight past. next thing, cop car with blues and twos passes us and swerves in front of the coach. Angry plod gets on bus to demand why we ignored the direction of the officer. We informed him that we were not going to the game as we were on our way to the ice rink!

7. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Many years ago, driving with a friend in her souped up mini, she said "open it up, see what it does at speed" As we were driving through a deserted industrial estate at 2 in the morning, I did. As we sped past a side road, I just had time to see the blue lights start to flash. Pulled over and the (very nice) policeman asked her to open the bonnet as he couldn't quite believe how fast it went. 20 minutes of intense discussion about engines later, he waved us off with a cheery "mind how you go!"

8. install

install Star commenter

Yes. Upon being lost at a busy roundabout I found myself going round it several times ....with a police car with sirens directly behind me.

Wrongly thinking they were desperate to pull off and chase robbers or the like, I decided to continue going round until they had gone.

Needless to say - it was me they were trying to talk to. 10 turns around the roundabout later, the police finally got to have a chat with me. They were not happy that I waa merely lost.

ms honey likes this.
  9. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

That used to happen all the time to my son - I’m not sure he was searched but he was stopped regularly when he was a student and driving my car. I think the punk hairstyles of friends in the car with him may have attracted their attention.
    You we’re lucky. When son was at Glasgow university, he borrowed my car to go with friends to a gig. Going home he was stopped and breathalysed. Although the result was green, the police were so sure he had been drinking that they said the breathalyser must be broken so they sent for another one. Still green. Did they apologise? Not likely. They said he’d gone through a red light anyway which he knew wasn’t true but I suppose they needed to save face.
    That happened to me. We always broke up for Christmas at lunch time. That year we finished on Christmas Eve and I went to Tesco to stock up. Going home I was conscious of a police car behind me. It had its lights on and as I was in the outside lane, I assumed it wanted past so I moved over as quickly as I could. When it followed me I realised it was me they were after. They weren’t exactly pleased. I was breathalysed - 4 o’clock in the afternoon for goodness sake. They didn’t even let me sit in the police car. I had to blow into the machine standing in the open beside my car in the middle of town, hoping no one I knew was going past. Although I hadn’t had a drink, it was still a relief when it turned green. Their reason was that one of my rear lights had gone out. They use any excuse to breathalyse over Christmas and the New Year.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Four times:
    1. Having triangulated the location of a land-based pirate radio station out in the sticks we were on the approach road to the (large and off the beaten track) house where the transmission was taking place, to be stopped by the police - who had got there before us and raided the house. It was the middle of winter and late in the evening, and we were all got out of the car while they searched it for such things as portable transmitters, car batteries and tape machines, and they asked us what we were doing there. We were fortunate to arrive after the police did as they let us go - no evidence of any wrong-doing as anyone can go for a drive - as everyone in the house was arrested.

2. In the car with my two bros, going down to the coast - one bro was driving and the other in the passenger seat, I was squashed in the back. They were stopped for being young, male, and driving a car. They had no ID on them, so I showed them my respectable BBC pass and they let us go.

3. For shooting a red light at 2am - I swear it was amber, but they said otherwise. They let me go when I explained I needed to get home to sleep as my shift started at the BBC at 6am - again flashing my BBC pass.

4. Driving back to my sister's place somewhere between midnight and 2am a couple of days after my father died - I'd been at his flat clearing and sorting things. I was doing exactly 30 mph and saw them behind me, keeping a distance, no lights or anything. I carried on doing exactly 30 mph and when I got to the roundabout, indicated and went left. They immediately put the flashing lights on and pulled me over, wanted to know where I was going, where I'd been, and could they smell my breath. I exhaled at them, wishing I'd had a really stinky curry first. They reluctantly let me go. Later I realised I could have reported them for pulling me over for no reason - as there was no reason apart from it being the middle of the night and I was doing exactly 30mph.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just once, years ago.

We had just left Glasgow, it was about 5:30 am on a very clear motorway, so when the blue lights went on behind, I knew it was for me.

Constable explains they had measured my trusty red Mondeo passing at 95.23 mph. “We were parked by the 2 white posts at the side of the road, did you see us?

“At 95.23 mph? - you must be friggin joking”

They weren’t, but they did laugh as they wrote out a referral to the Procurator Fiscal

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Something similar happened to me in my first car, a Ford 100E. I was returning from a pub in Hammersmith where the band I was in had been playing. I would have been about 19 then and my mate beside me, who played guitar, was experimenting with his hair style in the hope of pulling a hippy bird.

As I approached and turned right at a tee junction, cautious that the lights might change before I reached the stop line, I was probably doing 20mph, but the lights went yellow as I crossed over the stop line. 100 yards down the road, I saw blue lights behind me, so I pulled over.

The coppers claimed they'd stopped me for doing 60mph in a built up area. Oh how I wish that car had the potential of such acceleration.

You had your work cut out to climb a hill if it was raining, because the windscreen wipers were driven by a vacuum created by connecting a hose to the inlet manifold. When the engine was labouring to get up a hill and was short of breath, so were the windscreen wipers. If the hill was long enough, the wipers would stop, but then go like the clappers when you got over the brow.

60mph? They were having a larf. The highest speed I ever managed to get that car up to was 50, and that was going downhill with the wind behind me.

The trouble is with coppers, it's their word against yours, or at least it was back then, when the technology to prove they were lying didn't exist.

They were happy days though. Days when kids learnt street craft more quickly than they now do.

I read an article in the news where Sadiq Khan said Johnson had accepted that cuts have caused knife crime. Back in my day, we'd have said surely it's knife crime that causes the cuts? But you'd be wasting your breath trying to convince anyone of that these days

13. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Congratulated at car hire depot for only being stopped at police checks five times in a week's driving, and not having bribed any of the police. Not in the UK I hasten to add! Must have passed 100+ checkpoints.

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I've been stopped several times in multiple countries. Never fined or charged though!

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I was a passenger coming home from an orchestral concert I'd just played in, and we were pulled over. The driver had forgotten to turn his headlights on - we were still in town so everything was well-lit, so he hadn't realised. They had a brief conversation with us, and I think all they wanted to know was that he wasn't drunk, and that it was just oversight. Yours was probably similar, and it seems a very sensible way to proceed - presumably it saves them a bit of paperwork.

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Once when I walking home (aged 17ish) because my supposed boyfriend refused to take me. The police asked me if I was OK and then slowly followed me until I got home.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I was pulled in at 7:30 one Sunday morning.
    They were pulling in all red cars.

They asked me where I was going (To meet a group of school children training for Ten Tors), if I was there the week before (No, I was in bed like a sensible person), they grinned and sent me on my way.

18. matevans

matevans New commenter

You are just plain wrong here. Your garden is not exempt from the law... actually it is a crime if you cause alarm or distress to any neighbours - although, unless you meant to cause such distress, or it is likely a 'reasonable person' would have felt that, the law would suggest a prosecution shouldn't occur. Maybe your neighbours don't like seeing your husband's bits. Now you've received this complaint you wouldn't have the future defence that you didn't know anyone would mind. I had to deal with a man 'just walking naked around his house' at one point... problem was he seemed inclined to do it only in the front room facing the street when kids were walking to school. Think you'll understand why we need these laws.

As for the 'buying buns' comment, I'd suggest you try being a police officer before you criticise. I'll file your response in the same place as I do all those plonkers who claim teachers work 5 hrs a day and have 3 months holiday a year, so have a cushty life...

Oscillatingass and ms honey like this.
  19. matevans

matevans New commenter

Why should they apologise for doing a routine stop and search - it is there job?

20. matevans

matevans New commenter

Reference my previous post -
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] I think I was able to write decent English, as were the various other people in my shift with degrees and masters, and indeed the various relatives I have still working in the police. Unfortunately in the police you end up dealing with some of society's significant *********...