1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been stopped by the police ... ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Pah! Bleddy luxury....

I have lost count, my guess would be 30 odd times and that includes finding out that in the USA they really do send 5-10 cars to apprehend you.

TCSC47 likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

When I was 25, I was walking home in the early dawn hours with my friend, Donald, who was my age. A Police van stopped us because they wanted to know how old I was. Urk.

primarycat likes this.
  3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Yes, twice. Once in Nevill Road Bristol late on a cold December night carrying a large cricket bag. When asked where I had been I replied playing cricket. It was very close to the indoor cricket school of Gloucestershire county cricket club. They tipped out all the items in my cricket bag onto the pavement, seemed satisfied and drove off leaving me to retrieve my possessions.
    A second time I was stopped by a road block on Salisbury Plain very late at night after visiting my then girlfriend at Salisbury training college. When I asked why I was being stopped and questioned in the middle of nowhere they replied it would be in the papers the next day. In fact the Great Train Robbers were being moved to Parkhurst Jail on the IOW that night.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, in Richmond during my first year of teaching, for absolutely no reason at all. He made me tip out my bag, obviously having decided I had illegal substances. Nope, nada, nothing. Didn’t even get an apology either.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A really thick policeman lady officer stopped me one night. She thought I was a drug dealer because I had dipped my headlights (she thought I'd turned my non-existent fog lights off, which would apparently have made me a drug dealer). She was incredibly aggressive and rude, even when I showed her she was mistaken. And they wonder why no one trusts them...

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Stopped by them? They've invited themselves into my bedroom.

Yes that is true.

Feel free to speculate why.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I used to live near Broadmoor. Whilst there traffic, including my car, was stopped several times to search for absconding prisoners. They never found one!
    I was stopped and breathalysed at 9 o'clock in the morning on the university campus where I had arrived early to collect my son at the end of term. They were clearly trying to catch the "morning after the night before" drinkers -although how many would have been up and about at 9 in the morning was hard to say

8. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I was once chased down the road by a police car.

Unexpectedly gave a friend a lift home, not long before midnight. On the way back, on the main road, but 40mph speed limit and there are a number of, the word eludes me - pedestrian islands between the carriage ways, narrowing the road and making overtaking dangerous.

Blue lights appeared behind me, very close to me, so close I couldn't read the bonnet, and so I slowed down and moved right over to the left to let them overtake safely, i thought it was an ambulance, they didn't overtake and so I carried on, repeat a few times, and then they pulled along side me and a terrifyingly angry police man gesturing at me aggressively to pull over.

To this day I don't know why I was pulled over. I was tired so maybe I'd done something daft. But by the time we'd had at most 1/4 of a mile of him trying to get me to stop, and him thinking I was avoiding it (at 40mph) he was in full pursuit mind set and so so angry! He breathalysed me, zero reading, but never told me why he stopped me! We were about to cross the county boundary too, i'm not sure whether he could stop me the home side of it.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have an ongoing complaint with the police about their appalling driving. I'm pig sick of their attitude and their uselessness. And why can't any of them write decent English? Is it a condition of joining that your have to be unable to write properly?

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:eek:

primarycat likes this.
  11. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

I wasn't stopped at a police roadcheck while driving in Japan.
    Long queue of cars, police are checking everyone and their papers, here's me driving my NZ friend's pick up with several boats somewhat precariously tied on the roof. And we are the one vehicle they don't stop. Clearly too much trouble to talk to the foreigners.

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

An extract from my third book 'Six Steps from Wigan Pier':

It seemed that the ‘nods’ habitually targeted us students, which was hardly surprising as we were usually doing something illegal and we tended to drive vehicles which combined great antiquity with astounding decrepitude. And the second question (the one which came after ‘Do you know what speed you were doing in a 30 mph zone?’) was always: ‘Can you tell me the registration number of this vehicle?’

‘No, but if I were going to nick a car do you really think I’d have chosen this one?’

caress likes this.
  13. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

It made me smile not to be stopped by the Guardia Civil on my way home from work yesterday. I was pulling up to a roundabout very close to my home with the radio blasting Bad Reputation. No reaction whatsoever from the Guard, he didn't even wave me on. Sigh.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got stopped in Spain once by the cops. In a hire car, they flagged us down and without speaking a word looked all round the car, inside and out before waving us on. No idea what they were looking for. The guns were pretty scary. The pair looking had sidearms but their mates all had sub-machine guns held at high port.

Lalad and missmunchie like this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I got stopped in the wee hours driving home from my bar job. I was speeding through a sleepy village. When the copper came to my window it was one of the ones I knew who used to come into the bar for a cuppa and a bit of a skive. He said "oh it's you, watch how you go then."

16. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I’ve never been stopped by the police, but I did have a relationship with a police officer for 5 years. And I’ll tell you something for nothing. They are the biggest bunch of crooks around.

Doitforfree likes this.
  17. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This happened to us about 20 years ago - the guns were a bit intimidating, although the children thought it was great!

Pulled over and breathalysed at 5.30 pm a week before Christmas - I passed, obvs!

Stopped in the centre of Bristol at 2 in the morning for getting lost! Had just picked up my daughter from the station and went round the same roundabout 3 times trying to find the correct exit. When the police realised I wasn't drunk, they were quite sympathetic and let me follow them to the road I was trying to get to!

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

You didn't mention wearing love beads, caftan and Grateful Dead tape playing at the time.

caress likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Twice, both mundane, first asked me if I could do a shadow puppet on the road of a rabbit using his headlights so I obliged, second one got out of the car wearing giant shoes and a red nose and all the doors fell off - true.

bombaysapphire, caress, Pomza and 9 others like this.
  20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Love it.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

caress likes this.