1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been stopped by the police ... ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

I have.

A blue flashing light & police siren came on behind me. I pulled in, got out and walked to the police car window.

"Could I have a balloon dog please?" the policeman asked politely. He explained that I had recently done his kids' party and even though it was night time he had recognized my number plate.

I was delighted to oblige. I was very keen on balloon modelling at the time. I could make all sorts of things.

Before I changed my car a blue flashing light behind me as I was driving would indicate another balloon creation was required. I wonder if his kids gave him any encouragement? I usually made several models whenever asked..

The next owner of my car may have got a bit of a surprise one day ... :)

Kevin

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No surprises there.

Pomza, Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Really @circuskevin I think you live in a fantasy world. Sigh.

caress, monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So you were stopped by the police and asked to give a sample of your breath?

Stiltskin, caress, colpee and 4 others like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

You do not have to make anything. But it may harm your reputation if you do not make, when requested, something which you later rely on in a kids' party. Anything you do make may be given to one of my own kids.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, 4am, we had left home to drive up to Hammersmith Hospital, I was having IVF treatment with robert winston. On the back seat of the car were a load of drugs, fertility drugs! The police stopped us not long after we had left home and asked us what we were doing. We told them and they let us go!
    But they showed no interest in the drugs!!

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Stopped by police one morning on my way to work. Asked if it was my car. Explained I had bought it a week ago from a private seller. Informed by police it had been used in an armed robbery in York ten days ago. End of story..

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got a visit from the rozzers when someone cloned my car number plates after I had written it off the previous year.

Thank god I still had all the documentation.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

neddyfonk

Where did you stash the loot ?

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

As a youth I was stopped and searched in my car four times. I am male Caucasian.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

@circuskevin, if that ever really happened, which I doubt, I hope you put in a formal complaint to the police for them wasting their allegedly precious time.

We had the rozzers round last week. Someone complained they'd seen my husband gardening naked. Our reply was, 'Very possibly. So what?' It's not a crime, and they're supposed to tell complainants that, and do NOTHING else. It would be nice to think that they could ever be bothered to acquaint themselves with their own procedures. From what I've seen, they're too busy buying buns in Tesco to spend time doing any actual policing.

caress, SundaeTrifle and nomad like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Oooh! did you ever do any helium balloons? I love modelling with helium balloons, do it all the time, such fun. In fact-I can't speak highly enough about it!

caress, bevdex, colpee and 10 others like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

We must have lived in the same town! As a youth I was stopped and searched in my car ninety seven thousand, six hundred and twenty three times. I am male and black*.

(*I'm not really, but etc etc etc)

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was once pulled over by the French Police for failing to STOP at a red roadsign marked STOP (in English), at a junction where the other road was clear as far as the horizon in either direction. Must have been a slow day for them.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not surprised. It is actually an offence not to stop regardless of the gtraffic situation.

TCSC47 and magic surf bus like this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ah, oui. I heard that from the son, who drove around French campsites for 2 years, when he worked over there. On no account could you disobey the STOP sign!

caress, TCSC47 and magic surf bus like this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was waved down in rural France by a copper some years ago on our return home from a holiday. I have no idea why, since my French conversational ability extends only as far as being able to order a meal or book a hotel room. I know he wanted to see my papiers, but I was unable to understand anything else he said and he shook his head when I asked if he spoke English.

He seemed to be a bit upset and had a conversation with his colleague, who shook her shoulders. Then they stood about 20 yards away continuing their conversation, but ignoring us.

In the end I drove off, unsure if we'd get stopped again by an armed SWAT team, but nothing like that happened.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yep.
    Drove through a red light (because the one 50 yards ahead turned to green).
    Looked in my mirror - police car behind.
    Trailed me for the next mile and a half, then pulled me over. By then he'd already found out who I was, where I lived, where I worked, what I'd had for breakfast (well, OK).
    When asked why I'd been stopped, I owned up straight away to driving through a red light. His response?
    "Well, as you've admitted what you did, I'll let you off this time."
    :):)

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I was stopped by the police during my very first driving lesson (instructor had forgotten to put the "triangle" on the roof). When they asked me to step out of the vehicle, I hadn't even been taught to put the handbrake on... luckily it was a flat road.