1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been filmed by a Year 11 then reported to the HoD.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by speechcompanyinfo, Nov 29, 2019.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

I spent two days in a Grammar school suppy teaching English and Drama, before getting dumped (Today) at the end of the working day. I was full of relief. I can hardly speak this evening, due to trying to calm the kids down. Nightmare.
    The instruction for this year 11 class was on a powerpoint that I couldn't access and so I did my best.
    But it was mayhem and this year 11 boy filmed me trying to cope with it all, on his phone and then marched off in a self righteous flurry to the Head of English to "report me" …
    Is that weird?
    From that point on I thought "I need to get away from this place" and so when they dumped me it was a relief.
    Now, I can hazard a guess that this has happened to supply teachers before. The Year 11 class behave badly, they film the supply teacher trying to cope, then they take the film to the powers that be and complain.

Anyone else had this experience?

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Never had this, but it raises two questions immediately about the school.

1. What is their policy on mobile phones and did the pupil face consequences for doing this?
    2. Why wasn’t the work set made accessible to the supply teacher?

I think you’re right. You needed to get away from there.

3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Filming on a phone?

Two questions:

1. School policy on use of phones in class; and
    2. GDPR - I'd ask the school what they are doing to protect your rights under GDPR. Or maybe get my Union to ask on my behalf.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Safeguarding works both ways
    Involve other authorities maybe?

Corvuscorax likes this.
  5. speechcompanyinfo

Dear Peter,
    The Year 11's were a half and half bunch. Half of them were well behaved intelligent people. The other half were very arrogant and quite used to breaking the school rules and getting away with it. I was warned that this was the case in this school. Therefore whatever the mobile phone policy was in this school, the arrogant lot would have the "rules don't apply to me", idea and proceed to film supply teachers accordingly. I got the feeling that they'd done this before. That it was part of a Year 11 "Class joke" to do this.
    It seemed set up. Wind up the supply teacher by behaving badly and then film her trying to control you, and then do a self-righteous flounce out, yelling "I'm going to the Head of Dept", which is what the young man did.

No, there will be absolutely no consequences for this at all.
    And I suspect that this year 11 group will continue to do this.
    It felt pre-planned.

As for "Why wasn't the work set made accessible to the supply teacher?" I think the Head of Dept did try to "leave an A4 sheet available", but when we both looked for it on the desk on the morning of the second day, it was gone. In general, this is a school that expects supply staff to be able to login in, (once they give you the login code), find where the other teacher was up to on the Staff Search for that Dept, upload the Powerpoint and teach from there, with no A4 sheet as back up.

I'm sure that my replacement will be able to do that. I couldn't do it. The morning before the very difficult Year 11 class, was spent with the Tech team, trying to get them to teach me how to do it. But they found it to be difficult too.
    I didn't see the Head of Dept after the Year 11 boy had done that. I just thought "This is madness. I want to get out of here".

In general, its the type of school where the high-achieving pupils laugh in your face if you warn them that they might get a detention if they don't behave. They really don't care. They know that they have all the power and the supply teachers have no respect, no power, will simply be replaced and will be happy to go....despite the fact that most of the children are well behaved in other year groups.

What to do to rectify the situation, in terms of "supply teacher survival" ..

Well supply teachers do talk to each other and compare notes. And so I can put this out on the "chat" that happens in the local David Lloyd health club ladies changing room, amid supply teachers. I've found out alot about the "habits" of the various schools in the area from doing that. And if filming supply teachers and marching off to the Head of Dept is a "thing" in this school, (and I suspect it is), then I think my comrades ought to know.
    But will there be any apology coming my way?
    Not at all.

Alice K likes this.
  6. speechcompanyinfo

That is a good idea in a way - but - the culture of the school is that the pupils get away with behaving badly, and that's why it has escalated to such an extent that the Year 11's were the worst that I've ever encountered, and I've taught in some challenging schools.
    This is balanced by the fact that most of the pupils are lovely and academic and a joy to teach.

I think nobody takes this problem to the SLT, because the SLT backs the pupils and not the supply teacher. And I think they've done this to supply teachers before. Furthermore, the pride in the school is such, that if a newcomer, (like a supply teacher) can be filmed "not coping" then it has to be the fault of the supply teacher... because this school is such a "top school" in the area.

And it is a good school, graded outstanding etc. But they've failed to take on board that every time a supply teacher is treated badly via being filmed and humiliated, .. and that teacher leaves, the rest of the school are denied a consistent educator. So short term, being brutal with the supply teacher and patting the "filming boy" on the head is a solution .. but long term, it won't work. The only thing that will work is suspending the "filming boy" and that wont EVER happen.

Alice K likes this.
  7. speechcompanyinfo

In an ideal world, the supply teacher would be taken to one side by the Head of Dept, and the "filming boy" would be made to apologise, and the film deleted.
    Then the problem would be passed on to the Head Teacher.
    But we don't live in an ideal world, and I'd already observed the "culture of the school", so I knew how it would all pan out. Thankfully, I wasn't saying anything illegal or inappropriate. I was simply trying to get the students to resume their seats and be quiet and complete the work. The usual stuff.

Alice K likes this.
  8. speechcompanyinfo

It was such a clear indication of how supply teachers are treated.
    1) No access to anything that would allow me to prepare a year 11 class.
    2) Being filmed as I tried to teach anyway.
    3) Bad conduct from students who had been allowed to get away with bad conduct for years and years.
    4) No student is in trouble for mocking a supply teacher and filming her.
    5) The Head of Dept did not apologise or contact me in anyway. I was just replaced.
    6) I would LOVE to name that school, but I know it is against the rules, so I will simply warn other supply teachers by word of mouth.

Alice K likes this.
  9. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

Not being able to access the work on supply. Yup. Been there.
    I had a long term placement covering in a rough secondary. More than half the time the work was from the week before. BEFORE! It is almost like the person arranging the cover work had a mind that was a week behind. Other times it was laptop work. These had no internet access. 30 laptops and only 2 can log on. And theres the cover work being inappropriate for the class..
    No wonder I left really.

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

@speechcompanyinfo your account of the school just fills me up with stress. It all sounds so familiar, the thought of applying for another teaching job is just dreadful. I am redoubling my efforts to find something outside of education

11. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

They should be in trouble, not you.
    They should not have access to their mobile phones during lesson times.
    The HOF should have backed you, all colleagues in any school, should back each other.

12. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

That is beyond acceptable and nasty! This happened to me while working in a Catholic secondary school in 2018. The SLT did NOTHING!

13. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Well - I think you have to ask yourself whether you want to get some resolution here, or just let it go.

If you decide that actually she want to see some action, the first thing would be to contact your union and see whether a specific law had been broken. I'm not sure its legal to film people without their permission in that way. GDPR and all that.

Secondly - after advice from the union - I would be tempted to write to the chair of governors and explain the situation. Sometimes its better to go over peoples heads than follow the usual channels, where it can end up looking like the procedures have been followed when clearly, they have not.

Alice K likes this.
  14. a1976

Personally, I believe the OP should seek advice from a non-school based union rep or even better, a solicitor. This sort of thing should not be allowed to happening because one, the OP was doing a school a favour, two, ther person had their privacy violated. Yes, seek union advice/the advice of solicitors and inform the chair of governors.

15. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

One has to ask why these schools need supply teachers in the first place. You may not know why there's staff absence in the first place, perhaps the teacher is suspended for exactly the same reason. You maybe not the first. A bit like the rabits in watership down where they visit the warren where rabbits keep getting killed by traps, but the rabbit SLT refuse to aknowledge the problem and don't tell the newcomers, opting for victim blaming instead.

16. a1976

I suspect you may be on to something there alex.

alex_teccy likes this.
  17. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Maybe get in touch with the OFSTED equivalent for private schools too..WE, teachers, HAVE RIGHTS and should exercise them. The more that do this the better.

Alice K likes this.
  18. br0wnsugar

All a bunch of cowards...a 'top' school - yeah right - sounds like an over privileged lot being tarnished by the wicked and spoilt chosen few who have effectively been made complicit into a situation that clearly is beyond the SLT running the school ..I feel sorry for the parents whose child wants to learn and achieve and I wouldn't be surprised that these herbert's who film and grass up the 'incompetence of the supply teacher, already have A level places and Unis sorted out for them by sheer 'working' in their said private school; you scratch my back ,,,and all that' - disgraceful covering up and setting up decent individuals who just want to work and help children learn when their regular teacher is unable to. The culture of the school is the problem but ££££s of school fees allow it to continue.

Alice K and alex_teccy like this.
  19. br0wnsugar

Maybe what also would have been good to do here is film the class behaving badly too and then raise this as an issue to SLT, while on your way out of the school, forever...I suspect they would want to get on their high horse and prosecute...then the same should be the case for the unsuspecting supply teacher. Incidentally, one should be able to say in what area this school is to avoid other teachers being led down a blind alley; its the responsible thing to do!

20. br0wnsugar

The other thought this situation has made me think is that the school are effectively laughing in the parents faces who pay the huge fees for their child to succeed but the school is quite happy to allow the misdemeanors of the students to rule and dictate; the 'old boys network' patting themselves on the back to cause chaos and then brush their shoulders and move onto the next mug. I would be furious if I was a parent whose child sat in a class with disobedient little ********* destroying any smidgen of learning and then SLT backs it up afterwards while each year that passes, my fees are continually rising and my child's education is suffering??? This is crazy.
    In the name of GDPR raise the issue and COMPLAIN...just walking away means the problem continues and the school's lack of policies are allowed to gain more strength and 'thrive.'

Alice K likes this.