1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been bullied or made to feel so ill you ended up off with stress or resigned? Please read.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dht46, Feb 15, 2015.

1. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

I fear that some union officials see this as their role.

I can understand how difficult it must be when teachers find themselves is in this situation but holding headteachers to account/fighting capability all the way may be the only way of bringing about a lasting change in schools where this is happening.

2. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

I'm still 'hanging in there' and have managed to (outwardly) grow a thick skin, where the bullies are concerned.

The sad thing is, I am no longer me. I have no trust in anybody, I think I'm totally unlikeable and that people find me boring.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Poppies I have PMd you. x

4. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

So, this is the first day of the rest of my life having now left the toxic atmosphere behind. Still sad to think that it took so little to destroy my confidence and it all happened so quickly. Off to register for supply and try to rebuild my self-belief.

So many amazing Thank You messages from parents yesterday telling me what a difference I had made in their child's life since September - just wanted to shove them under HT's nose but instead they just made me cry!

Group hugs for all those who also find themselves in this position - let's hope for a brighter future!

lookout likes this.
  5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Good luck Twinkles! Just remember that you do need to keep your wits about you with supply - the agencies will try to bamboozle you into being paid by an Umbrella Company (for tax evasion) - insist on PAYE!

And come over and join us on the TES supply forum!

6. dht46

dht46 New commenter

Good luck Twinkles, as you say another chapter starts, keep us informed about how you get on.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Twinkles, yep, come join us on supply, we can help you negotiate the pitfalls of finding a reasonable agency (they do exist) and help you get your game face back on :)

Poppies, just from reading that I'd say it's time to vote with your feet. yes teaching can be a brilliant and worthwhile thing, but no job is worth your health like that. Put yourself first and prioritise living!

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

For all of us who have survived or are going through it now. I found this poem gave me strength. A story of a black slave but the poem has parallels to anyone who has been bullied.

Still I Rise

Maya Angelou, 1928 - 2014

You may write me down in history

With your bitter, twisted lies,

You may trod me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?

Why are you beset with gloom?

‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells

Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,

With the certainty of tides,

Just like hopes springing high,

Still I’ll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?

Bowed head and lowered eyes?

Shoulders falling down like teardrops,

Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?

Don’t you take it awful hard

‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines

Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,

You may cut me with your eyes,

You may kill me with your hatefulness,

But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?

Does it come as a surprise

That I dance like I’ve got diamonds

At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame

I rise

Up from a past that’s rooted in pain

I rise

I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,

Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear

I rise

Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear

I rise

Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,

I am the dream and the hope of the slave.

I rise

I rise

I rise.

xxxBlueBellexxx likes this.
  10. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Yes, there are many of us ex-teachers who left due to inappropriate treatment from colleagues, SLT, and students. With all of that combined, it can grind you down. I took it for eight years when I moved to England. I put up with teaching a subject that was not valued by any members of staff, SLT, or students. I was undermined in front of students, parents, etc. My classroom was used as a dumping ground. I will cut to the chase and say I endured it for too long and decided to GET OUT. So I did, I sent in my resignation in Oct 2012 and left in Dec 2012.

After leaving, I did supply teaching until I thought I had seen the better side of British education. Boy did I get conned. I worked at that school two days a week and experienced the EXACT same things. I ended up leaving early in the summer term due to inappropriate comments and some other sneaky actions committed by SLT and certain other people. After that, I vowed NEVER to work in British schools as a full or part time permanent member of staff. I spend quite a lot of my time in another country now and can say that schools here are much different to what they are in England. I will never go back.

British schools and American schools don't deserve qualified staff and I applaud those who are brave enough to try other things, even if it means taking a cut in salary. Would any amount of money be worth it?

11. mh7474

mh7474 New commenter

Wonderful. This is just so well said. Thanks.

12. mh7474

mh7474 New commenter

I hate to hear this. I recognise what you are saying. And there is very little wriggle space to escape. You have done so well to cope. Take care.

13. mh7474

mh7474 New commenter

Well said. When? It can't be soon enough. But there is no political will while 'deficit reduction' cuts are hanging over us. it will get worse before it gets better.

14. mh7474

mh7474 New commenter

Younger teachers face being refused an increase in their pay. This is routine and soul destroying. It is terrible for them.

15. mh7474

mh7474 New commenter

Well said. Isn't that the electric shock experiment? Great comparison!

16. So sorry. Yet another friend of mine is also going through this at the moment. It happened to me and although union support can be great ,unless LA's challenge the HT bullies it will continue. If results are good nothing will be tackled re staff morale. HT's explain away/brush aside high staff turnover in any way they can and no-one seems to challenge it. As a friend of mine said Governors look the other way because they can and the LA does because they do. She is so right. It is appalling that teachers are being treated so badly; when there are no teachers left except new ones who know no better perhaps someone will take note.

It is a dark time for the teaching profession.

17. Yes. It's not just staff bullying that causes stress. Lack of support from the head in the face of parental attacks has the same impact. Involving the Union eventually solved the problem, but the issue meant that just crossing the threshold or even thinking about going to work became impossible. I returned to work, still worrying that the same thing could happen again and that feeling never really leaves you

18. dht46

dht46 New commenter

Whilst off I still receive copies of the emails that are being sent to other staff. I read these and wonder why I am even considering going back! There seem to be almost daily emails with new things to do or think about. CPD after CPD of new initiatives to do. Updates to assessments. Governor learning walks, SLT learning walks. Parents workshops and meetings... the list goes on. Teaching is no longer about the pupils they are only numbers and most teachers are too busy ticking boxes or too scared of being seen as failures if we don't tick the boxes to be able to do anything about it.

Anyone brave enough to open their mouth against any of this instantly becomes a target and capability is now being used by many heads as a way of getting rid of anyone who rocks the boat. Experienced or not if you don't tow the line and do what you are told when you are told to do it, without question, then it will not be long before ways are found to force you out.

19. I am leaving at the end of the year after 15 years teaching. I have been bullied by SLT and so has everyone else. I am lucky that I retrained as something else and now have a cushion to fall on when I leave. It is a toxic environment, with people crying each week, a ridiculous lack of resources hindering us to teach the curriculum, money being misspent on ICT resources no one will use, and the blame of everything being put upon all non SLT staff. I am off to be anxiety free. Life is too short to dread each morning and spend weekends working on meaningless paperwork. I am off to get a happy life and good luck to all those who make the same decision!

20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Will the last one to leave please switch the lights off..........

d.fahey likes this.