1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been bullied or made to feel so ill you ended up off with stress or resigned? Please read.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dht46, Feb 15, 2015.

1. dht46

dht46 New commenter

You certainly get to know who your friends are when something like this happens! I have not had a single word or seen anyone from my school since I went off ill. I emailed one of my so called friends at school and she has not replied. This is so sad.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Snap! But it makes you treasure your REAL friends all more.

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Yes.

Currently off sick with work related stress and depression.

4. I just wrote a really long entry to post, but got scared that someone might see it on here! Yes, currently constantly made to feel uncommitted and that I'm not doing enough and that I'm rubbish. I couldn't be doing more! Not about to get signed off, luckily I have some lovely pupils, but I do cry when I get home and constantly feel awful, especially around certain colleagues who love to undermine.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes. What Ridley said.

6. FreddyK

FreddyK New commenter

Met with school today, they were going to put me on a six week support plan on the Monday I went on leave of absence. Consider myself very fortunate to have gone to see my GP that day instead.

Still not well and extra stressed now but I have the evidence to support the level of pressures I was put under and will show this to my GP.

The school are still reluctant to be specific about particular incidences, pupils, staff and so on so what I have been deemed to have done wrong is very vague.

The 'informal' support plan was put in place without a right of reply for any of the things I've been accused of doing.

I'm in touch with Union to see if we can move forward with some level of early exit and agreement.

7. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

Hi Freddy

A very good thing you went to the doctor that day indeed. Although still stressed, it sounds like you might be taking control of the situation which is a step forward. Hopefully you have clearer vision now you are out of school and can decide what is best for you.

Good luck

I am still waiting to hear from my school. Its all gone very quiet.

8. FreddyK

FreddyK New commenter

Signed off now for a second month (two weeks are the Easter Holidays).

Hope that union can chase this matter up straight after the holidays

9. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Three days left for me. Can't help feeling sad that I wasn't given any chance to settle in (only started this new job in September) and show what I could do. Ten years of good/outstanding and then 'informal capability' after just two terms. Unbelievable! Mind you, those two terms felt like a lifetime.

No real idea what to do now - have signed up with a couple of supply agencies but I have very little confidence left in my own abilities.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Take time to grieve Twinkles as it is like a bereavement. It time it does get better and once out of the situation you will see how unfair it has been. You will get your mojo back.

11. barmyarmy

barmyarmy New commenter

Been back for a few weeks after almost six months off with stress and depression, the return hasn't been great, things are just the same, don't know how much more I can take.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Take care of yourself, Barmyarmy. x

13. I have actually been bullied in a way that made me look like the bully to my head. My role is of a learning support assistant. I had a senior Learning Support Assistant get all her friends together to tell lies about me to management. If they weren't lies, it was information based on little evidence. I have a back problem, which is caused by work. Management knew about this. But the Senior LSA who was promoted above me was jealous of my relationship with the teacher. She told the headteacher that I was ignoring pupils in distress ( I couldn't physically intervene due to my injuries), I was spreading lies about her to colleagues and not listening to her authority in class. She was bullying me so badly it was affecting how I was working with the pupils. I joined a union, but that doesn't stop the culture. Thankfully I have just been accepted on a teacher training course in a different school. I guess I'll just try to be careful and hope the culture is better there.

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I was speaking yesterday with an HR professional I know, who recently started work within the education department of a local authority.

She spoke of a HT we both know who, once s/he takes against a member of staff, will hound them mercilessly until they leave. HR person is involved with one such member of staff at the school at the moment.

HR person is attempting to advise the school in an unbiased, professional way and try to find a solution that is in the best interest of both parties. The HT told her that s/he expected her to hurry up and do what s/he wanted to get rid of the teacher. S/he threatened her that, if she didn't do what s/he wanted, s/he would cancel the HR contract and get HR advice from another source.

The HR person replied: "So not content with bullying members of staff at your school, you now think you can bully HR officers?"

Yet another perspective on all this.

15. The notion of picking your advisors to be yes people is alive and well then!

16. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Barmyarmy, if it's still as bad go to your doctors again. As worthwhile as teaching is a job is not worth your health!

17. dht46

dht46 New commenter

Since I put this thread on here I have counted 63 teachers/support staff that have either replied or put on their own thread saying they are being bullied or are off with stress etc. That is just the ones we know about. How many more are suffering in silence? At my present school 4 staff have been harassed into leaving, at my sisters school I know there are at least 3 staff who are being bullied. That's another 7. This is a terrible situation, so many unhappy people and so many pupils being taught by stressed out staff!

Many are signing agreements that stop them being able to talk about it. Also so many of us are scared that talking openly will end up with even worse treatment! So how do we get something done about it?

A petition? An open letter to MP's? An open letter to Unions? There has to be something!!

18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I seems that unions are quite happy to negotiate settlements but not fight for them to keep their jobs.

Admittedly, many teachers are happy to just get out but this really shouldn't be happening.

I only heard today of another member of staff who's just leaving at the end of the year. They've just had enough of the harassment.

19. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Chimes with statistics mentioned by Dr Mary Bousted at the ATL conference:

"According to the ATL's analysis of government figures, in 2011, around 38 per cent of teachers (that's about 11,000 new teachers)* were not in teaching a year after gaining qualified teaching status (QTS) – either never entering the profession in the first place or leaving after just 12 months. This compared to 20 per cent in 2005."

“Is it, I wonder, because trainee and newly qualified teachers see very early on just what teaching has become and decide that they do not want to be a part of it? Is it that they learn as they work with exhausted and stressed colleagues that teaching has become a profession which is incompatible with a normal life?”

* additional figures, added by me, in bold

Personally, I haven't been subjected to blatant bullying, but there is blatant favouritism happening in my school, which was highlighted when only certain members of staff received PRP pay rises in October last year.

A friend who taught in an LA school in another town, climbed up the payscale to the heady heights of UPS3 only to be told that they needed to observe a colleague teach and give them 'inadequate' because the head wanted them gone by the end of the year. My friend refused and was put on capability, but resigned before the head could take it to the next level.

20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Disgraceful