1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been bullied or made to feel so ill you ended up off with stress or resigned? Please read.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dht46, Feb 15, 2015.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

Easy to answer YES Currently in Capability with Whistleblowing/Grievence going on. Not sure if I'll live to see if trough to be honest.

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

If you are feeling stressed and fear for your health go to your GP and get signed off.

From what you have said in your other threads a grievance is valid

3. azzie

azzie New commenter

Thanks Compassman I have/am - took admission to Hospital for 5 days last week to "persuade" me.

4. pixel

pixel New commenter

I'm out too. Decided I could fight and win, but the cost to my health and family would be too much.

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Over 100 posts so far.

Okay, not every post is a declaration of having been bullied, but I fear this is only the tip of the iceberg.

6. whodareswins

whodareswins New commenter

When you said you could not forgive the person who did that to you, I felt so relieved. I can't forgive the person I was bullied by, the people who 'sat on the fence' despite it happening to them and people who don't understand how it has affected my family and friends, People think you should just move on ...

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I was bullied out of my last job - technically harassment, under the law and going to court later this year.

Now I do my best to provide appropriate support for those going through it themselves.

8. I am another one the same. Middle aged female, UPS 3. Bullied out by young, inexperienced Head. Happily, Head was removed from post but it was too late for me. I now only teach privately. No Ofsted, no pointless paperwork, no micro management, no targets. Love it. I will never work in a school again.

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I have been down the grievance and tribunal route for behaviour that included harassment. However, I have worked for lots more headteachers that wouldn't dream of doing anything similar. My current one is also wonderful and supportive. I should have trusted my instinct that there was something wrong with that school and left straight away.

gr8jd likes this.
  10. drek

drek Lead commenter

I had to stand by quietly and watch trainees being psychologically mauled, and physically wrecked, because of PRP. I have been at the receiving end myself, and I have a feeling that unless another trainee joins the department I will be next because I don't join in the group bashing. I choose to get on with my own teaching but that is no longer enough. There is a horrible layer of persecution brought in to desperately provide evidence of hitting PRP standards. It never existed before but it is definitely in place. Gove may be disliked but he obviously had a large number of fans amongst school staff, who are shining nay outstanding examples of a system gone crazy! They are prepared to do anything for an outstanding!

11. Compassman

PRP - is now one of the main drivers of increased workload in some schools. Gone are the days of just having to fulfil 3 objectives for PM. You now have to fulfil all the "Standards".

Fulfilling the Standards might seem reasonable until you realise that Heads are interpreting them for their own ends to bully and intimidate staff.

12. Compassman I think you are right that PRP is in part to blame for increased workload in some schools and that it's being abused by some heads. If only these heads had to model consistently being outstanding themselves.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Ain't that the truth!

I knew within a couple of weeks that the leadership team I had joined was toxic (with, it must be said, some genuinely lovely individuals in it). Alarm bells rang in the very first senior leadership team meeting I attended. Literally the very first. I also should have trusted my instinct and got out immediately, but thought it would look bad on subsequent applications.

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I knew within the first few seconds of meeting my head as a candidate for the headship. I was horrified when certain members of SMT really liked him, mainly because they were fooled by the oober friendly persona he tried to portray. When he was appointed, through pressure of the SMT on our spineless and easily led governors, we were shown his supposedly brilliant presentation leaflet as proof he was great. I had recently been involved in the appointment of a head at a school I was governor at and the presentation was the same theme. His presentation was similar to one we had dismissed as the worst, most unimaginative and lacking in any depth, experience or knowledge about the role. It was scary. Although he bided his time for a couple of terms before he revealed his true personality, at least I wasn't as shocked and surprised as the rest of the staff.

I have to say that for a school full of teachers and therefore supposedly emotionally intelligent people they have continued to have a complete inability to read people and continued to appoint some right corkers. Mind most of them had only worked in this school in the same area they were brought up, travelled little and seemed to have as much experience of the world and other schools as our pupils.

15. Currently covering from a traumatic 7 month campaign to annihilate my once outstanding character. Really struggling to feel like I want to continue teaching, but its all I know and love.

16. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

Secondaries are starting to resemble a giant Milgram experiment.

17. Compassman

Ain't that the truth!! Excellent analogy!

18. dht46

dht46 New commenter

becshanham, I know exactly how you feel!

20 years as a good teacher and leader and I am now off (for the first time) and so stressed. I went for counselling last week and the lovely lady I spoke with said she has loads of teachers on her books because of stress from workload or from bullying heads.

She summed up how I feel, which is trapped. Trapped because what I want to do is leave but who will employ me when my head has told me he will not support any applications and with my sickness record.

This forum is helping me because I feel that by starting it I am trying to do something to help others vent their frustrations, get advice and emotional support and that maybe through it we can show what many of us are going through.

I spend most of my time trying to think of what I can do to escape from this. I have gone as far as visiting other schools and looking at vacancies but feel that by applying I am wasting my time. I am 55 now and cant see who will employ someone my age, with only one good reference and a sickness record. I know I wouldn't take the risk if I was interviewing. I cant afford not to work and the Union just seem to think taking a pittance of a compromise agreement is my only option.

I have looked through this forum and other than on this thread there are at least 40 others who have been in a similar position and it is so sad that we chose to be teachers and devoted so much time in and out of school to the profession to be treated like this.

None of us should be just accepting this and letting these people get away with it, but I know how hard it is to fight these people who seem to have HR and everyone else on their side. Governors do not have the enthusiasm or interest in doing any thing other than take the heads side, even when it is obvious that something must be wrong. My Governors only a year ago told my new Head how lucky he was to have me!

So if HR and governors wont help and Unions seem not to have any power then where do we take our fight? In America there would be a string of lawyers wanting to take out a class action to support us. Individually we are vulnerable, to the system and from our own health issues, together we could be strong. What we need now is more to join our thread to show just how big this 'iceberg' is and someone with some power to help take up our cause.

19. FreddyK

FreddyK New commenter

Two weeks into leave of absence. Awaiting counselling appointment, GP said no teaching and gave me another two weeks off. School got back to me saying expect an Occupational Health appointment soon. I shouldn't have expected a get well soon card I know, but there is no sympathy for mental health issues in this school which is why I feel I have to leave. This is my first absence after two and a half years.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My school had the nerve to contact me to see if I wanted to contribute to someone else's flowers. As I hadn't received a get well card let alone flowers, I ignored the message.