1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ever been bullied or made to feel so ill you ended up off with stress or resigned? Please read.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dht46, Feb 15, 2015.

1. amethyst303

amethyst303 New commenter

Good for you indeed! There's always a way. I think many people just drop into teaching still, since they can't find a job in their chosen field and for women especially, it gives them time off with their kids at holiday time...... sad and cynical, but true. Teaching is no longer a true vocation; numerous governments have seen to that. Young teachers aren't given time to explore and experience teaching subject matter thoroughly enough before they're laden with 'head of subject' and middle management positions. Unfortunately, this has been taken as read for years now and teachers are pressurised from the outset. Many move up the ladder too quickly and are ill-equipped to deal with people in general (saying that, many are very good and born teachers and/or administrators!) Feeling pressurised themselves, they reach their limit as in any job, but then start delegating downwards with areas of their work they don't want to tackle themselves or don't have time to do. Everyone is pressurised as a consequence and this affects the children greatly and the general atmosphere of the school.
    Only until fairly recently did I realise that teaching also attracts more than its fair share of megalomaniacs, those who were bullied themselves at school and 'want the shoe to be on the other foot' (ie, weak people, sadly, who won't break the cycle) and at worst, paedophiles..... I'm convinced DBS checks are just a money-making game and rarely root out the bad.
    At the moment, I'm doing a spot of tuition. Gladly, I still have the passion for teaching but I NEVER want to go back into the classroom.

Compassman, Cooperuk and rosievoice like this.
  2. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

What advice can you give about private tuition? I have just been put on stage 1 of the capability process. Thinking I don't want to go back

3. imaan86

imaan86 New commenter

Leave and don't look back. Find other kids to tutor.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I suggest you re-post this to Workplace Dilemmas. Good luck.

5. Alwaysworried

Alwaysworried New commenter

I was but come out the other side now. It’s awful to think that this situation seems common place across the UK

6. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

I have had this happened to me twice now. Both times in roughly similar ways. Due to senior (not management) staff who foe whatever reason had a personal grudge or dislike. They had had secured much control of the department by relieving the HOD of a significant amount of workload and thus being able to wield power that way. The HOD doesent want to rock the boat for X persorn/s as they are doing half their job which is pressurized. They subsequently picked up on any and all errors, omissions, deviations from policy all mistakes; they highly criticized any routine learning walks or observation highlighted and or exaggerated everything and highlighted this to senior management so that a catelogue or dossier which looked really bad was generated. Many documents and areas of training were not given to me so that any unique software I struggled with or has issues with such as major tracking programmes and key disciplinary procedures etc. Eventually these fed into performance management reports and my days were numbered. I did have allies in both of these positions but several of them were fired or were not of significant enough support to help me or help me enough.

I think we should get a question asked in parliament on this as there are a lot of good people out there being done over by bad people in senior positions

d.fahey likes this.
  7. Saf114

Saf114 New commenter

8. fudgeface

What a sad article. I feel, genuinely for heads who are bullied, but it does not excuse bullying of those of us who are at the chalk face

katykook and PeterQuint like this.
  9. Saf114

Saf114 New commenter

No, I agree it doesn't, I was noting that the discussion is beginning, albeit at HT level, with the hope that it will encourage a wider discussion reflecting broader experiences like those expressed in this thread

10. spinning_wheel

spinning_wheel New commenter

Have just come across this thread. Yes, I've been bullied in the past, been made to feel inadequate so much so I became ill, got signed off and the union negotiated an exit from my job.

How sad this has happened to so many of us. A profession where we teach the children to show respect and to be kind to others but yet some of our colleagues do the opposite.

I have bounced back and teaching again. Not sure how long I will last but I'll give it a go...

sophrysyne, d.fahey and Compassman like this.
  11. fudgeface

Well done spinning wheel. I'm currently in a dodgy place, feeling like my career is at a an end. I hope I get the chance to bounce back

spinning_wheel likes this.
  12. baxterbasics

baxterbasics New commenter

Yes, to both of those questions. You can read my own story on a recent thread on here. I did the honourable thing and negotiated (through the union) an early leaving date.

To cut a long story short, I was told that I was no longer an effective teacher after an unfair lesson observation. Funny, that - I got the best results in the school and there had never been a problem before. However, I blew the whistle on the fact that they were using unqualified staff to undertake lesson observations, and staff were swearing at kids and smoking on school premises, etc.

The TES really needs to run article on how lesson observations, which are hugely subjective, are being used to bully staff out of the workplace.

rebbywoo, BetterNow, Ozchic and 2 others like this.
  13. spinning_wheel

spinning_wheel New commenter

I felt the same. I never thought I'd teach again. I took some time out to recover from WRS and decided to give supply ago. Now I have a job again and taking it day by day. I still struggle with stress and anxiety but it's nowhere near as bad.

I'm sure you will bounce back. It will take time but better times will come your way.

d.fahey likes this.
  14. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

Echo that. I'm sure more than a few bullies are also under pressure. But lack of emotional intelligence in management is always going to show itself.

15. drek

drek Lead commenter

The article on headteachers is a reflection of the pressure under which teachers and support staff are forced to work for exactly the same reasons.

The problem with Barton’s advice to look at the job and employer whilst sound .....is useless since the time the true scope of working conditions only come to light only after joining a school and possibly about 6 to 8 weeks into the job when colleagues relax around you enough to start giving one hints about the joys yet to come....
    Too late to resign as prospective employers want to know the reasons, ex employers will not give references and one can’t state bad working conditions as a reason for leaving.
    It will throw a ‘red flag’ up to the new employers.

Basically solely due to the terrible attitude of OFSTEd and the chief executives that now run the country’s education system most innocent hardworking people are caught between a rock and a hard place.....not just in teaching.....
    the stories about how CEOs come by their bonuses and dodgy big pay deals/packages are the bane of our society right through any business these days including charities!
    Seems like sacking everyone else is the answer to their prayers for their next pay deal.....
    All they need to provide is evidence of ‘how hard’ ‘they’ worked to support staff but that they had to ‘move’ them on as they refused to back ‘their visions’.
    They shouldn’t just get the fast cars and big bonuses....why not add a sainthood with it too....
    Silly me....they get knighted instead for their services to destroying ordinary people’s lives

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Compassman likes this.
  16. Skyler

Skyler New commenter

My career's gone. Too much to do, kept trying and trying, got behind, was honest, then pressure just piled on and on and on and... boom!

10+ years over in less than a term.

drek likes this.
  17. Mel_Cymru

Mel_Cymru New commenter

I am too at a point of resigning. For the 3rd year running I am having to drop the timetable I started with in Septmeber to take over another teachers timetable. I feel undervalued as it's clear that whatever I am doing is disposable. I've had enough of it now and want to move on. It's making me anxious and dare I say depressed. Ive also contemplated quiting teaching. Not only this is adding to my anxiety, but I work part time and I've also realised that I only have 4 frees a fortnight whereas another teacher also on the same hours has 6 frees a fortnight. How does that work? I' starting to feel like they'e trying to push me out.

drek likes this.
  18. scout64

scout64 New commenter

It happened to me in my NQT year. I left at Christmas as bullying from Deputy Head intensified and began to make me ill. I contacted the borough and the NUT for help but neither were very supportive. The NUTs exact words were: You're in a bad situation. I don't envy you.
    It was the worst Christmas I'd ever had. I thought my career was over before it had even began. I'd lost a serious amount of weight and was reliant on anti-depressants to be able to function. I was incredibly lucky and found a long term supply job very quickly after leaving which then became permanent. Never told any of my colleagues what had happened to me but even now they talk about how insecure and nervous I was when I first began to work with them.

drek and silkywave like this.
  19. rebbywoo

rebbywoo New commenter

I am currently signed off work due to finally being admitted to A&E after a horrendous year. The stress was insidious - I'd been carrying it on my shoulders for two years - I didn't even realise how bad it had got. Looking back, I was turning up to work with greasy hair. Dirty clothes. No pride in my appearance. I'd become a walking zombie.

I used to be a highly commended, award-winning teacher. Now I feel like a total failure.

My tipping point was being told to teach what I was told - scripted lessons that lacked passion, and I was told off for allowing my staff to teach for a whole hour on the context of a play because it was a "waste of time when they could be passing exams". I asked why I shouldn't ask the students to develop passion for their subject. I was told "passion doesn't matter. Exams do." I tried to teach the next day and I came the closest I ever have to losing it with a student, for no reason and through no fault of their own. I felt totally guilty - I left the classroom shaking, dizzy, thinking I was having a heart attack due to the pounding in my chest and throat. It was my first ever panic attack and I thought I was dying.

I despair when I compare what teaching is now to what it used to be. I am only good at my job when I am allowed to veer off-course, to personalise my lessons, to treat my students as human beings with wants and needs and interests.

I doubt I'll ever teach again after this year. The system has broken me.