1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eventhough its very late...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gilldyson, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I don't think the target is useful but if you must..........
    Bake small circular cakes and cut into slices - talk about sharing equally, quarters halves and if they are up for it you can go on to thirds etc. You could make buns and talk about sharing the mixture equally into a set number of bun cases = depends what they already understand.
    There's a lovely book caled 'the doorbell rang' which makes quite complex division into an easy to understand story. Sorry, I can't remember who it's by but it will be on amazon.
    You can buy small world food made of wood which splits (with the use of velcro and a special knife) into different fractions. We had pizzas in four and six pieces, fruit which split into two or four pieces etc.
    p.s. what is the 'curriculum guidance that was previously used' is it DLO's or even before that?

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Well this means reading The mouse the bear and the big red ripe strawberry" And then eating some strawberries cut in half.
    Or am I missing something?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think it's by Pat Hutchins.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Yes, "The doorbell rang" is by Pat Hutchins. I used it with my Reception class during our last Maths Week. They loved the story, and enjoyed the challenge of working out how many cookies each child would have - everytime the doorbell rings, more children arrive, they have to share out the cookies again, and each child has fewer than the last time.