1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Evening Classes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ballerina, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of enrolling in an evening class for the new year and wondered if anyone has done this and what course you did. I'm really not sure what to do. I wouldn't mind something that I could use in school but nothing too school like if you understand!! I currently don't have any real hobbies other than sociallising with friends but as my new years resolution is to drink less i would like something to take its place (oh i sound like such a lush!!)
    Thank you!

2. Tai chi for me, although karate might be more useful in the classroom!

3. I did a Creative Writing class this autumn. I thoroughly enjoyed it and met some interesting people.

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

You may find that most classes don't start until september, i think that's why September is my 'New Year' rather than january. I am doing Spanish at present, a steep learning curve for me since i have knew none at all and have not studied a language for over 30 years! In the past i have also enjoyed pottery classes and car maintenance. There are loads of options so something is bound to appeal to you. Evening classes are not cheap any longer so make sure you pick something you will enjoy and stick at.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The cost puts me off these days.
    I used to do a variety of crafty evenings for £6 each.
    These days (and quite suddenly) they are in the region of £18, which is too much for a taster of something I'm not overly interested in!

6. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

thank you for those suggestions, funnily enough i did look into creative writing, spanish and tai chi! The courses at my local adult ed start in Jan or Feb which is why I am looking now!
    Was also thinking of some ICT course, but I am pretty good on the computer and wouldn't know where to go next

7. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Ballerina you have inspired me. Just signed up for a day course at the end of this month - Italian cooking in Italian...ooohhhh something to look forward to :)

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've done Italian, French, Spanish, Basic Car Maintenance, Website design, and Multimedia Design over the last 10 years or so. They've all been very enjoyable and useful, and the IT courses helped me get a promotion(!) The course I got the most out of personally was Italian - it's made our trips to Italy much more enjoyable.

9. Now there's an idea!

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Another thing I've just remembered Pobble, was that most folks in my evening classes got their course for free. The college was surrounded by some pretty deprived areas, and those in the deprived postcodes didn't have to pay. This may also be worth checking into for some tessers??
    I recall feeling a bit peeved as I had to pay but stuck it out, whereas those who studied for free mostly dropped out!

11. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I like the idea of another language - italian maybe. but also like the idea of car maintenance, they also do basic home maintenance at my local ad ed. Thanks for the ideas!

12. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I did sign language and really enjoyed it.xx

13. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Sign langage - great fun.
    Life drawing
    Various crafts