1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

evening and weekend emails

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Things have changed I think. People communicate by text more than picking up a phone. It is ok actually as you can read it when you want - not like the phone which you have to pick up really or people think you rude! Text etiquette is very strange - easy to misinterpret meaning sometimes. People also have mob phones on constantly so don't find a text an intrusion. In my school it is used a lot to and from everyone. Sometimes one teacher texts me quite late so it works both ways. Give it a go! Might be helpful.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

I don't look at emails on my work address after 6pm. If it is urgent someone will phone, if they don't it can wait.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

I regularly email colleagues at all sorts of times as I work very late - but I use school emails and don't assume or require people to check them out of hours.
    I have to add that a number of my teachers are also working of an evening and do reply or indeed send questions to me they want an answer for

4. I also email my staff but do not expect them to pick it up. If I have something urgent I will text them but try not to do so too late. As a previous poster said it does work both ways because they email me and text me during evenings, weekends and holidays. I try not to text during holidays unless by prior arrangement and also try to avoid Saturdays and times I know they have other things on. I don't take my mobile on my summer holiday and they know that is the only time they won't get a response! I also send them messages of thanks via text.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Ive not been in school for a few years now,so I find the practice odd too. Ive heard recently from teacher colleagues twice, that their heads have emailed them at the weekend to tell them they were being observed on Monday or Tuesday for performace management. I would consider this to be unfair, and when I was still teaching, I would have expected PM observations to have been timetabled in advance rather than emailed on the previous weekend.
    Would this really be normal practice now?

Im just curious by the way, as I queried it with my colleagues when they told me.

6. Obviously unfair to receive a text on a Sunday regarding a lesson obs the next day! Why be put upon? If communication is to work well it requires mutual respect and good relationships. How you communicate is irrelevant if common decency is implicit.

7. I think it is very poor to do this. SOme staff may well be working late for reasons of their own and may well respond but it is very unfair and incorrect to disadavantage those staff who may well be doing their primary job of being mother and fathers or even just living their balanced life. I think many staff would be very grateful if you relieved them of the obligationt o compete in the game of being forewarned and preview information - which they then need to think about which proabably distracts them from their orginal reason for having stayed lae at school anyway.