1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Evacuation big write - Any ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Oct 15, 2008.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Any ideas anyone ii thought about making them name tags etc but wanted more inspiration

2. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Any ideas anyone ii thought about making them name tags etc but wanted more inspiration

3. Either a first letter home or a diary to describe where they are, who they're with & what the first few days have been like.

4. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Got any wow ideas role play or ideas to get us in the mood

5. Not sure it'd qualify as a 'wow' idea but one thing you could do is to pick two children (you could put them into their 1940s outfits if you wanted to complete with little suitcases and tags round necks), then I'd make it up as I went along. Choose two very different destinations, families, situations to put them into. Get children to volunteer suggestions about the trip, the first evening, being 'picked' by a family at the village hall & their first night in their strange new home. Encourage theem to think about...sights, sounds, smells, feelings as well as the event of being evacuated. Make the two children's experiences very different.

Then, when it comes to the Big Write - get them to have a run round on the playground but explain that from the moment they line up, they will enter a time bubble which will take them back in time to the 1940s when they will be evacuated from the real home to a strange new one. They can use any of the ideas the class have heard/talked about in their writing, as well as adding in their own.

Hope it goes well!

6. I used Michael Morpurgo's Friend or Foe and we role played the scene where evacuees were chosen by their families. We then wrote letters home in character for Big Writing, they did a great job.

7. Hi I deliver WW2 Guernsey Evacuation workshops to primary schools, please see my posting in the Resources section at
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/WORKSHOPS-ON-THE-GUERNSEY-EVACUATION-OF-1940-6081858/

Gill Mawson
    University of Manchester Oral History Researcher