1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Europe’s last dictator wins again...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 10, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

But will it last? The Belarus opposition already claiming the vote was rigged. Lukashenka has already got a dreadful and appalling attitude toward Covid and still operates with a KGB. Odd that Europe doesn’t do much other than co demon the result... no oil in Belarus then?

2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Tremendous protests all last night though.
    This is a beginning, not an end.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is claimed that he got a landslide, with over 80% of the vote. There's a surprise. :mad:

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

32,500 barrels a day.

5. red_observer

He is a deeply repugnant man. Hope the Belarussians get rid of him

6. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

But if something was done, you'd be complaining about western interference and how immoral that nuke we dropped on Moscow to sort it out was.

Ukraine had a similar situation, saw how prosperous Poland is getting and rebelled. Well we saw what Russia did to them.

lanokia and Oscillatingass like this.
  7. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Also the last country in Europe with the death penalty. They still do it Soviet style, the inmate is supposedly taken to a room with a sloped floor under false pretences, told their appeal has failed and instantly shot in the back of the head.

Despicable place.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed. Some posters on here got quite upset about "EU intereference" in Ukraine. But not so upset about the annexation of Crimea or the 6 year long border insurrection in the Donbass.

Best the EU and us will do is reimpose sanctions.

9. red_observer

But there was proven interference in a democratic election wit LG international observers. apples, oranges and selective morality again.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Watching this with interest. We have an apartment booked for a fortnight in Minsk for next June.

12. red_observer

The 2010 election which the west didn’t agree with was...

“After the second round of the election international observers and the OSCE called the election transparent and honest.”

after which the US and the EU systematically undermined the Kiev government.

there were no OSCE observers on the Minsk poll and so thats why there’s a difference.

13. red_observer

Interesting place to go!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ice Hockey world championships being held there and Team GB are playing so there will be about 1000+ British fans there to cheer them on. This year's championships should have been in Switzerland but had to be cancelled. Last year we had a great time supporting them in Slovakia.

red_observer likes this.
  15. red_observer

Well I hope they go ahead and enjoy!

16. fraisier

fraisier Lead commenter

What sort of visa do you need to visit there? (land or air arrival) And, if visa on land arrival, can you get it at the (Polish or Lithuanian) border?

A few years ago, I wanted to visit Russia (never been), Moscow, St-Petersburg, + the very interesting cities of Yaroslavl and Nizhny Novgorod, but when I saw the ridiculous palaver to get a visa (with a French passport at any rate, don't know the situation with a UK one, can't imagine it'd be very different though but there are occasionally differences), how complicated, onerous it was, that put paid to our Russian plans. I've heard they've made it easier now, but how easier I don't know.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Apparently visas are needed and are applied for on arrival. However, if they operate these championships as they have for previous tournaments there then having tournament tickets on arrival will count as a visa! We are planning to drive there at the moment but Covid and Brexit may force this plan to alter. My biggest concern is that GB are in the same group as Russia which means the place will be overrun with Russian fans. Over there Hockey fans behave more like UK soccer fans with an almost 100% male following. UK fanbase is 50:50 male/female and much more along a North American style of support.

We did St Petersburg a few years back but from a cruise ship. We got around the visa palaver by booking a tour through a local company and they arranged all the paperwork for us which they emailed to us. So on arrival we just waved the paperwork at the immigration officials and sailed through. We also got off the ship with our pockets full of US dollars which the Russians preferred in payment to roubles. In fact the tour company gave us a 15% discount on the price because we paid in $$$ cash rather than plastic.

fraisier likes this.
  18. fraisier

fraisier Lead commenter

Thanks, interesting.

"Applied for on arrival" (I take it that's for land arrival), that's good and the right thing to do.

Ice hockey is big in those countries, isn't it? (I know very little about it, in fact make that nothing!).