1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European Elections May 23rd - Who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cariadwch, Apr 9, 2019.

?

Euro Election - Your vote

Poll closed May 21, 2019.
  1. UKIP

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Conservative / DUP

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Labour

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Plaid Cymru / SNP

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Lib Dem

29 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. Green

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Renew / Independent

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Would not vote / Boycott / Spoil Paper

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Other

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The EU contains many of the most open and transparent democracies in the world, some are less so. France, for example is classed as a 'flawed democracy'. Another poster linked to a international democracy measure a few months ago . Of course 'democracy' cant be measured on the basis of just one election or referendum but on accessibility, freedom of press, participation, etc. As I recall Britain scores well ahead of France, Italy and Belgium but short of the netherlands, germany and the scandinavian nations.

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

True, but the Lisbon Treaty was just a diluted version of the EU constitution and the French didnt get a second referendum on it. The Irish accepted the Lisbon Treaty second time once theyd got the concessions they wanted, same for the Danes in an earlier second referendum.

3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

No. It was apparently registered with the Electoral Commission in 2017, so it can’t be.

From Wiki:
    Renew is a centrist political party in the United Kingdom.[1][2] The party was set up to provide an alternative for moderate voters following the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum in 2016. The party describes itself as wanting to reform existing political structures, and does not identify with either left or right ideology.[3] The party is actively welcoming candidates and members from non-political backgrounds.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renew_Party

mathsmutt and lanokia like this.
  4. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

So the EU doesn't respect the vote in member countries.

peter12171 likes this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, because the referendums are held by member states, not the EU. In some states they may be advisory. In Ireland any change to the constitution must be put to the people. A second referendum was held once Ireland had gained concessions from the EU, so the EU did take into account the Irish peoples views . In France and Netherlands they rejected the EU constitution and because of the French and Dutch votes, the constitution was scrapped. However a new French government didn't want to risk a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty but France ratified the treaty through the usual form of representative democracy, its parliament.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I can't vote for them either.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Be happy with your provincial parties! Lower your gaze and be content minion!

BetterNow likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Isn't there a rugby party or something to vote for ?

9. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Why not Conservative as you appear to be a fan of Mr Rees Mogg?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. cariadwch

Sorry an oversight. Its just that DUP and Cons seem to share a similar position on Brexit. I dont think the SDLP are so ambivalent on Brexit as Labour are, arent they a Remain party? I also get that the European elections should be more than just Brexit, but lets face it, if the vote takes place it will be a poll on Leave/Remain all over again, or a general protest where Plaid and the Greens may do pretty well.

racroesus likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Ah, if you follow the thread on Brexit I started I said I admire Mogg for calling a spade and spade and that I find it childishly amusing how much he upsets liberals. Just go over and see the anger since I put Jacob's face as my avatar. And I only did so at 11 am today!!

But I cannot vote for a party that has so failed on Brexit. If Mogg becomes leader, then yes.

I tend to vote on the times rather than loyalty. This means I have to admit the severe embarrassment of having previously voted for Tony Blair.

artboyusa and cariadwch like this.
  12. cariadwch

Down in Cornwall Mebion Kernow polled more votes than Labour in the 2009 European elections!

13. cariadwch

I get that, but as you say your vote for Blair like mine, seemed absolutely right at the time. And the Labour governments of 1997 and 2001 made progress on better equality.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting perspective...

As a fellow Blair voter I see those years as laying the groundwork for many of the flaws i now see in society. But I might be remembering it negatively.

What equality are you thinking of?

peter12171 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The Facebook page of my labour candidate (a local woman who's lived here for 30 years) has been taken over by snarling angry people who are insisting that UKIP is the only answer and telling her and her supporters not to dare to knock their doors.

And that's just a paraphrasing of their comments. :eek:

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The tweet I linked to has a thread saying that anger hasn't been like this since the Labour government invaded Iraq.

And this is worse....

border_walker likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

Bearing in mind YouGov is usually accused of veering pro-Tory... not looking good.

mathsmutt and florian gassmann like this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I did say in the past I was concerned in the reaction of Brexiters to the delays of a vote. Now we see the anger of the ordinary folk feeling rejected of what they were promised, and the attitudes of some remainers to people not voting as they feel.
    We as a nation have tended to vote and go with the majority of the vote, even when we are not happy with the result.
    You could argue the nation is split down the middle on this issue and I am listening to folks saying they won't vote in local or general elections as their votes are seemingly worth nothing so why bother.
    If May, or others, do not sort out their procrastination soon a lot worse might happen.

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I suppose my votes re the local elections and possible European Union elections will go to either the Brexit party or UKIP.

I'm more leaning to UKIP because of the way they are treated.

artboyusa likes this.
  21. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes because despite the flaws of FPTP, we can change our minds if we don't like the previous democratic decision after 5 years, sometimes less.

oldsomeman likes this.