1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European Elections May 23rd - Who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cariadwch, Apr 9, 2019.

?

Euro Election - Your vote

Poll closed May 21, 2019.
  1. UKIP

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Conservative / DUP

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Labour

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Plaid Cymru / SNP

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Lib Dem

29 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. Green

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Renew / Independent

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Would not vote / Boycott / Spoil Paper

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Other

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Think so

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nice to have the choice.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

DUP aren't the Conservatives or you would have Labour/SDLP.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Is it proportional representation? Any openly pro Remain party including fudgey 'oh we are Remain but we can’t openly say so for fear of upsetting our UKIPY voters who still think Brexit is a good idea' parties.

BetterNow likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, using the d'Hondt system and voting for a party rather than a specific candidate.

mathsmutt and eljefeb90 like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Well, should be interesting then. Lib dems, change Uk and labour should be claiming pro Remain votes. Tories, UKIP and Brexit party can claim Brexit votes. Kind of like another referendum eh?

sodalime likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If we Brexit, who we have sent to the Eu-Parl will be irrelevant.

If we Remain, it makes more sense to have MEPs who are prepared to work constructively within the EU-Parl for the best interests of all UK citizens. So, anyone voting for a spoiler like Farage who will contribute nothing, charter his private plane and draw his big salary just to sit there shouting 'Freedom' in that inane way we've seen him do, must be still in self-harm mode.

8. florian gassmann

You cannot vote for individuals in the European Parliament elections, only for parties.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I have no idea who my current MEP is.
    I shall spoil my vote. I wash my hands of it.

blazer likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

:rolleyes:

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

In an extension, all UK MEPs are likely to be forced to vote with the majority. The Commission already have plans to avoid disruption by MEPs

12. sparkleghirl

To paraphrase Edmund Burke

All that is needed for fools and charlatans to be elected is for good men to spoil their papers, Or abstain.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My MEP is Diane Dodds. I shall not be voting for her ahead of non-DUP unionists this time either.

14. florian gassmann

You won't have a single MEP (unless in Northern Ireland), you will have a group of MEPs. For example, the South-East of England currently has 10 MEPs: 4 from UKIP, 3 from the Conservatives, and one each from Labour, the Greens and the Lib Dems.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

For me, in will be the Lib-Dems, as they are unequivocally for remaining in the EU.

mathsmutt, BetterNow, JL48 and 3 others like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

For london the main party wasLabour+ 9 MEP and 1 tory
    Never mind they will be able to earn thier nice earner of €191,808 less €6,611 tax and insurance.
    Labour definitely wont get my vote if i have to cast one!

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

So in theory if Farage was to take part and 17 million voted for his party he should have a good number?

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

As I say in my other post. At present, we aren't fit to be a member of the EU. Britain can't show itself to be a democratic nation that respects a referendum. Why would the EU want such a country as a member?

Are any other of the twenty seven countries members despite refusing to respect the democracy of their people?

Would we be happy to be a member of such a club if we were a democratic country knowing we are joining an organisation allowing undemocratic countries to join? Would we join an organisation that allows members with no respect for their people to join?

At present we'd be better applying to join some international organisation made up of dictatorships. Like-minded countries to ours.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Off the top of my head the Netherlands, France and the Republic of Ireland all took two goes to ratify EU Treaties like Maastricht, Amsterdam, Nice and Lisbon. Now it looks like our turn to do the same.

dleaf12 likes this.
  20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Single European Act 1986 - Rep. of Ireland and Denmark ratified it via referendums
    Maastricht Treaty - the Danes rejected the treaty by referendum, before re-submitting it and having it passed. The French voted to ratify it by referendum 50.8%-49.2%
    Treaty of Nice 2001 - the Irish rejected it in a referendum, before re-submitting it amid a massive propaganda campaign. It passed 60-40.
    The EU Constitution was abandoned after being rejected in referendums in France and the Netherlands
    2009 the Lisbon Treaty once again needed two goes to get past the Irish.

dleaf12 likes this.