1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European Elections May 23rd - Who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cariadwch, Apr 9, 2019.

?

Euro Election - Your vote

Poll closed May 21, 2019.
  1. UKIP

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Conservative / DUP

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Labour

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Plaid Cymru / SNP

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Lib Dem

29 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. Green

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Renew / Independent

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Would not vote / Boycott / Spoil Paper

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Other

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It's clear the people have voted en masse for the Brexit Party, but this simply will send a load of troughers to Brussels. It changes nothing in Westminster, where the parliamentary arithmetic is unchanged. The "No Deal" motions put to the vote were all slaughtered by huge margins. Boris o whoever will not be able to magic up a parliamentary majority from nowhere, and therefore a catastrophic No Deal exit looms on 31st October.

dleaf12 likes this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

So it is your opinion then? Fair enough.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, he is a climate change denier.

And he is a racist

And you voted for him.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

So I can only vote for Jesus if I want Brexit delivered?

border_walker and Spoofer4114 like this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Change UK desperately trying to get a hold of the Liberal Democrat's coat tails -again!

6. Jude Fawley

The BBC get yet another loser on the panel. Alistair Campbell who voted Liberal Democrat.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Another wickedly amusing aspect so far of the evening so far- they are an irrelevance. It will indeed be funny to see how they go pleading to the Lib Dems to help them....even though Cable offered this a while ago.

8. Jude Fawley

Brexit party take two of the four seats in Wales.

9. Scintillant

What's funny in voting for a climate change denying racist?

10. Jude Fawley

"I drink your milkshake"

11. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

In the context of Brexit, its not the number of seats that is of interest (though we'll be hearing Farage crowing about that ad-nauseam in the coming weeks) its the number of votes cast for leave supporting parties vs remain supporting parties.

Labour have an official policy of "not sure" and Conservatives have demonstrated and clear "split down the middle dont know which" so The grouping runs Brexit Party + UKIP have clear Leave positions vs the Lib Dems, Greens, Change.UK, SNP, + Plaid Cymru who have explicitly stated they favour Remain.

As I type this not all the Scottish or NI counts are in, but the English regions have reported, and these two groupings stack up as 5,794,052 Leave vs 6,703,592 Remain with a further 3,857,315 Tory and Labour Voters whose position is unknown. I think there was a poll suggesting Labour voters on the whole now favoured remain, but I'm not sure where I saw it or how reliable it is.

Of course this is NOT a referendum, although Nige fought it as one, so other factors might have influenced voters, however a voter influenced by other issues who decided a vote in the EU elections on those issues must surely have intended their vote to have influence in the EU - ie I would argue their vote can be counted as a remainer since surely a Brexiteer worried about climate change(say) would not be likely to bother turning out to vote Green in the European elections as those MEP's would not be able to do anything as we're meant to be leaving.

So with a lot of caveats and reservations, the result is surely at least a smoking gun for evidence that sentiment in the country has moved from the 2016 position towards Remain isnt it?

12. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Someone's a sore loser.

border_walker likes this.
  13. Jude Fawley

Two-time losers will try to put these results through the mincer and claim all kinds of nonsense.

One party with the most votes and the most seats.

The desperate will try to say otherwise but the Brexit Party are the victors and leaving the EU is the will of the people.

Again and again.

Now it's time to drain the swamp of all those politicians who ignored the people.

Time for a general election so we can give them another kicking.

I love it!

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's evidence that a party formed only four months ago got almost as many votes as one who roots go back to 1859 and that has a huge network of volunteers supporting their work.

Here, we received an avalanche of Lib Dem leaflets, not to mention their lovely old ladies coming round to remind us to vote Lib Dem. Nothing from the Brexit Party - yet look at how well they did, despite having to throw off the last rotten vestiges of UKIP (which they did rather well - UKIP is now finished).

Although in a general election, the Brexit Party will - like the Lib Dems - get nowhere. The only possible hope for either party would be to replace the DUP as holders of the balance of power or to enter into a coalition with one of the big parties.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You're still playing that same tired tune from 2016.

It isn't working.

Spoofer4114 likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Climate change is even more accepted by the public now and is at the forefront of serious debate and discussion. More people voted for Remain parties than Leave compared to three years ago. And Yaxley Lennon and Batten have been run out of town

Result!

You sing a different tune these days.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I agree. A brilliant No Deal opportunity looms on 31st October.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Have you calmed down now? Democracy hurts, I know. We have all been there. He is not a racist, he is not alone is being sceptical about CC. We cannot all vote your way just because you have a differing opinion and as said, Jesus was not up for representing me on Brexit.

There are things I do not agree with Nige on but again (for the umpteenth time) you fail to tell me what alternative I had as a Brexit backer last night?

I voted for Blair once. We all make mistakes, huh?

Indeed - so.....

......make your mind up, are you also saying people voted Green on the basis they were a remain party?

Nothing to do perhaps with - as you yourself say - their stance on CC?

I have little time for the Green party but will congratulate them on a solid performance, also across the EU. Very good work indeed.

You still do not have it in you to congratulate the Brexit party or Nige?

Indeed - any apology from those continuously labelling leave voters as racist and thick? They flocked - flocked- away from Lennon and UKIP when racism become a factor.

19. Scintillant

Given the predicament we are in with climate change, voting for a climate change denier is spectacularly daft. He might be sceptical about it, but that's because he knows virtually nothing about it and won't listen to experts.

And he's racist, and knowingly plays to the dark side of people's characters. Remember those posters about immigrants taking "our" jobs? Among many other things...

20. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

I love milkshake. It's delicious.

upload_2019-5-27_21-33-7.png