1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European election results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, May 27, 2019.

1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

That’s not a given. We would have to meet the criteria. We would probably have to have a referendum on joining anyway as it’s not really a decision the politicians should be taking without consultation and as a significant number of independence supporters (as well as others) want out of the EU, they’re not going to quietly accept us applying to join after they’ve got what they wanted. Then there will be those who will just be battle fatigued and reluctant to go through it all again.

Of course, the SNP have to win an independence referendum first and that’s not a given, either.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Why is there an assumption that leaving the EU would see all regulations scrapped? What a misleading and inaccurate comment!

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Give England a vote on it and they would get their independence.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You sound like a weird fanatic when you say things like that.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If the referendum result was honoured then the division would be reduced. I cannot see what remainers are so upset by, they lost a vote, in another 40+ years we can have another so what is the problem.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think you protest too much in public, he referred to politicians not voters as I read it.

7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

As far as I know, Britain was the "dirty man of Europe". Britain's beaches were cleaned up as a consequence of EU regulation. The ban on neonicotinoids comes from the EU.

Feel free to provide any evidence to the contrary. Please correct my "misleading an inaccurate comment" with some hard facts.

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Apart from the typo of "an" instead of "and". Dear me what poor spelling and grammar on my part. I doubt you'd want to correct me on that though.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Perhaps you should have a look at what the people involved in Brexit have said?

Although I presumed you knew the views held by these kinds of people before voting?

Burndenpark and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A five-second Google unearths a BBC Reality Check saying that claims the EU is responsible for clean beaches in the UK are "Over the top":

Reality Check: Is EU responsible for clean beaches, water and air?

border_walker and peter12171 like this.
  11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

That’s if the EU exists in 40+ years. According to a recent European survey, most voters in all states except Spain think the EU could collapse in the next 10-20 years:

https://www.ecfr.eu/publications/su...e_battle_for_the_political_system_eu_election

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I do not wish that but if it happens hopefully we will be out of it. Although I still think despite the Brexit party, the establishment will NOT allow us to leave in the true sense.
    We are not a democracy, we are governed notionally through Parliament but behind the scenes is where the real decisions are made. Parliament has shown us that since 2016, with the 'Lancaster House speech' followed by stupefying decisions leading to the Chequers (polished excrement) deal.

It will be very interesting to see who the Con party pick for their new leader. In that choice the decision makers will reveal themselves. My guess is that another remainer will be appointed and will then masquerade as a leaver just like TM.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  13. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

also Magic you are always welcome, kettle will be on, bring biscuits :)

magic surf bus and coffeekid like this.
  14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Impervious to irony I see.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    sodalime likes this.
  15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

16. anotherauntsally

Well, you can see more than I can - and I’ve lived here most of my life. Maybe you’ll convince me, though, if you just say why you think we need it?

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's not up to me to convince you, that's Ms Sturgeon's job.

As an impartial sassenach I think you deserve a fair crack at being treated as a separate entity and remaining in the EU - Scotland has very different cultural and historic roots, and different geographical constraints and opportunities. We normally travel a lot round Europe, and travelling around Scotland had a similar feel to being across the Channel. Yes, some of it looks like North Wales with the vertical hold adjusted but it's different enough - it's not just The Lake District with bagpipes, as I'm sure many of those in Westminster might think. The islands (where we spent most of the four week trip) are especially unique communities with very different needs and obvious historic links to Scandinavia, and have benefited considerably from EU infrastructure investment. Their approach to tourism is quite dynamic and has a lot in common with France, who have also got their act very much together.

I've got a feeling that nobody in Westminster will authorise IndyRef2 until Liz II has popped her clogs. We can't have the monarch fumbling for her passport at the Gretna border post on the way up to Balmoral can we? Assuming Phil hasn't driven the Range Rover straight through the closed barrier without seeing it anyway.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Sorry, just the way I am.

19. anotherauntsally

Thank you MSB for taking the time to post your thoughts. You do make it sound much more appealing than Sturgeon, I might add - but where to stop? Some of those islands you mentioned have expressed a wish for independence from Scotland if we leave the UK.

I agree the thought of remaining in the EU is tempting but Scotland won’t be able to do that. We’ll have to apply again after Brexit - if we meet the criteria. It’s always seemed a bit odd to me that many of those who say they want Scotland to be independent want to leave one union only to join an even bigger one. Some independence supporters don’t want to be part of the EU, of course - so still plenty differences of opinion to keep us occupied even if we do become independent.

20. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I missed this first time round...
    Just checking- you chose your name based on a story about a call girl?

Just as consistent in your thinking as the other people who both want freedom from the EU and to live in the South of France.

I think the problem in Wales is the number of English migrants who have moved there-

That's the problem with some migrants, turn up and use services, expect the locals to adapt to them, don't bother to learn the language, don't respect local customs- we English excel in that much at least.

Curious- when you went to NZ as an economic migrant did you lean the indigenous language?

These democrats only seem to think a vote counts if they win and that any future votes should be blocked- I wonder why that is?

By which reasoning - no one at all supported a Leave party in the recent elections.
    Some folk vote Ukip cos they have the pound sign in their logo and Brexit supporters would vote for anything that might get them a few more seats.

Did you try to read up yet on how the EU works? As I said I am willing to help you when you get stuck, but you will have to do the first bit of reading for yourself. I can only spoon feed you so much.