1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European election results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, May 27, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Stop mincing your words, come on spit it out;)

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am not a Swede although some of you probably think I am a turnip;):p

mathsmutt and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Jim Allister says that there will only be one Unionist MEP in NI and that that is the fault of the Unionist voters who didn't vote for unionist candidates.
    Not, apparently, his fault for failing to have a policy that appealed but mine, among others, for not agreeing with his stance on Brexit.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Interesting what would happen if the EU results are extrapolated into a GE (by Electoral Calculus)
    [​IMG]

Jesmond12 and lanokia like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is your duty to take the blame.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Apparently no-one reached the quota on first preferences but wee Jim doesn't see that if he had not stood the DUP might have got through on the first count. Danny Kennedy used to be a remainer but decided for Brexit recently and is out by the look of things. Had he stayed a remainer he would have got my vote. The UUP are truly pathetic.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Exactly what I wanted to say but you said it better.
    Surely if you wanted an absolute on revoking article 50, only lib dem was on the table? The others want a people's vote/ ref. If remain has won the day, surely team lib dem vote would gave been much much greater. So what we really have is unambiguous brexit, (35%) unambiguous remain in the lib Dems (20%) and a pile of 2nd vote parties, (20%)(which could still go either way...they are all assuming the vote would go the other way).

Isn't it just showing the issue is still very divided whichever way you look at it, and you can rejig the stats to choose your perspective?

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Truly amazing.

Less than one-third of the votes cast and an overall majority of 260.

Looked at in another way, Lib plus Green gets more votes but 424 fewer seats.

Wouldn't it be great to live in a democracy?

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was pleas d with the results. People generally treated it as a a find referendum and the total Remain support surpasses the total Leave vote. There are still the Tory and Labour votes to be allocated to Remain and Leave. It is thought that 50% of the Tory vote is for each side. Labour voters are reckoned to be 75% Remain but many of the it Leave faction, especially in Wales, decamped to Farage. The figures still show a bigger percentage in favour of Remain than the 52% who voted Leave, with no idea of the exit terms, three years ago.
    Of course, it was a low turnout. I would expect a different spread of votes in a GE, especially as Labour especially will re-frame its position

cissy3 and Geoff Thomas like this.
  10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Dream on.

The fraudulent majority of 2016 is now (quite literally) dead.

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Therein lies the rub. We do not know anything for definite other than the Brexit party got the most MEP seats. You can play around with stats and what if's but until we have a GE we do not know anything for definite.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not in Wales:) very much alive and kicking. I think I might go and live there before they go independent;)

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That is pretty astounding.

Also shows why FPTP is nonsense. But we had the chance to change and we didn't. (Back when referendums meant something )

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

:confused: not sure if trolling o_Oo_O

Jesmond12 likes this.
  15. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

The next time we have an election I trust that some tin-pot African country will send a team of people here, to check it is run correctly lol.

16. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Why did you get the single transferable vote system when we didn’t?

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Same rubbish logic you used to trying to dergrad the Brexit vote>
    It its that important why didn't they vote as they were warned this time! Over half the country couldn not bothered to vote..so much for their detemination and so no vote means tough their loss!!
    YOU can only count votes cast not what might have been.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Westminster sees a change of government at reasonable intervals, but first past the post had kept the same party (Ulster Unionists) in power in Northern Ireland for more than 40 years, so STV was (re)introduced (around the time of direct rule, in 1972, or thereabouts) as an attempt to break the monopoly.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes.

And most were cast for anti-Brexit parties. So anyone still arguing for Brexit is anti-Democratic; against the will of the people as expressed in a vote... Are you still arguing for Brexit?;)

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The empty broken parties that support us remaining in the EU are beneath our hand. We should have a general election and swat them away for good.

Put them out of their misery. They are mentally ill and won't accept reality.