1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European election results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, May 27, 2019.

1. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I really would hate to lose you- unlike so many here I recognise that the UK only really prospered after the union was formed, we really did prove to be greater than the sum of our parts. But we have lots of little Inglanders who are too ignorant to understand this and are trying to flush the nation down the tubes. I support independence from Scotland, but when you go re-build the wall and be selective about which English you allow in as economic migrants.

I know several- mostly losers who are convinced that the only reason they have failed to progress is foreigners coming in and taking our best jobs/ houses/ women (not a lack of talent or ability at all and ignoring that they have been leap-frogged both by migrants and natives)
    There are a few obvious xenophobes there too- the sort who say "I'm not racist, but.... "

OK so why do you support Brexit? Take Farage out of the equation- what do you expect to be different after Brexit and why?

mathsmutt likes this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I do wish someone would answer this.

3. Burndenpark

Aw bless you still haven't understood how it works have you.

Go away and try reading it again, then come back to me with your questions. It's really not that complicated.

So a bit like free market capitalism then?

It won't ruin the likes of JRM and the other spivs- he's going to make a packet out of it if it runs.
    It'll ruin the poor people who supported it and aren't on pensions- and I can see the triple lock coming under threat- or failing to keep up with inflation.

The people most able to weather the coming storm are probably those who voted against it.

4. Burndenpark

A few have tried, just to give "credit" where it's due- mostly it seems they blame the EU for not stopping our national government from doing things it was elected to do (Lexus and the one with Corbyn as his avatar… can't think of his name) The others who dared answer it seem to think that after Brexit unicorns will appear up and down the country and they always wanted to see a unicorn.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Allow me a gratuitous couple of images:

[​IMG]
    Maggie meets Menachim Begin, the chap who blew up the King David Hotel in 1946, killing 91 people including British service personnel and many locals. He allegedly wanted to supply arms to Argentina during the Falklands War.

[​IMG]
    Enough said :).

Scintillant likes this.
  6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Labour needs to move to offering a second vote. It’s as obvious as the day is long.

Alice K, Sally006, ilovesooty and 3 others like this.
  7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It has supporters, candidates but no constitution and no members and no manifesto. It has one aim and one policy.

The genuine one trick pony.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As we are leaving the EU they don't need policies, just the drive to leave.

border_walker and lexus300 like this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

UKIP was formed to do a job, it did the job and has now gone. Brexit has been formed to challenge undemocratic Westminster clowns, if they take heed it will also disappear, if not then I see a new third party coming in and taking the center-right ground away from the Tories and also some of the center-ground from others.
    Westminster has very little time to make things right with the electorate, failure may well see the end of the two party cartel.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They will need a manifesto for a GE., we live in interesting times:)

border_walker likes this.
  12. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Glad to see Batten gone - as well as those two vile c**** making jokes about rape didn't get a look in. Despicable.I won't write down what I'd like to have happen to those men, as no doubt people would complain. But lets say the only punishment fit for scum like that involves metal poles, choloroform, and a lot of blood.

*Breathes*

ilovesooty and FrankWolley like this.
  13. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I agreed completely with your post and was all set to give it a like - until I reached this point. Why do you support Scottish independence when the voters here rejected it by a clear majority - unlike Brexit. Apart from that, why would the chaos Brexit is causing not occur to an even greater degree on the severing of a much longer union? Do you really want that for us?

As reported in the Holyrood magazine, the SNP adviser tasked with gauging the effect on the Scottish economy of taking us out of the UK said it would take up to ten years to recover - so that, on top of Brexit, would hardly be likely to make us attractive enough to have people from England clamouring to be let in. Income tax is already higher here for above average earners (21% for those on £25,000 which is not a huge salary and 41% from a lower threshold - £43,431 as opposed to £50,000) and that’s even before the upheaval of severing our ties with the rest of the UK.

My sson already has colleagues who come over the border from England to work but won’t move their families here, so they avoid the Scottish tax rates. If they’re doing that already, I can’t see much of an exodus after independence. Maybe in the opposite direction?

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As long as when they're gone, they're not expecting any hand-outs from the rest of the union, I couldn't care less either way. And I'm not overly impressed the with claim that North Sea oil is Scotland's. Infrastructure and operating costs were UK-funded.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Wow and that's just for speech crime.
    I'd hate to hear your punishments for actual crime.

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Their only drive is to distort.

PS if anyone has visited their website it would be worthwhile deleting their cookies as they have some rather odd code embedded.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Crickey... what'd you do with actual rapists?

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Isn't the answer "Not be in the EU"?

Or am I missing something?

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

That's not the point at all. "Democracy" must be implemented, whatever the cost. If we didn't, then all trust in politics and politicians would be lost, and the UK would become the laughing stock of the world. Oh wait...

Furthermore, if you're not happy with the above answer, and truly want to know what the numerous obvious benefits post-Brexit will be, then..., then..., well, I'm not going to do your research for you. I've got better things to do with my time you know.

Warning: the above content was somewhat satirical, in case it's not obvious.