1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European election results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, May 27, 2019.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The Brexit debate needs to be closed and we should leave in an orderly manner with a deal. However the EU wasn't and isn't the prime issue facing this country. The country is wrecked and its political system is fundamentally disconnected from the people too. Perhaps it needed this ugly Brexit debate to really prove it and deliver the catastrophic verdict on the Tories and Labour. The source of the resentment is deep and genuine but whoever the Tory Party leader is, he or she won't be able to deliver on national inequality, poverty and insecurity. The Labour party may yet emerge from this process in a better shape even if the Tories do manage to get us out of the EU by October 31st and the Labour Party had committed to a second vote.

sodalime likes this.
  2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There's some truth in that, particularly along the M4 and A55 corridors but a place like 90%+ English speaking Merthyr Tydfil doesn't have that many English born people living there and the Brexit Party still topped the poll.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Hardly an overwhelming refutation. Can you not do any better Florian et al?

As the article says:

It's true that these issues are covered by EU laws, which have pushed for higher standards over time and that European rules are among the toughest in the world.

But outside the EU ,Britain might have implemented its own laws on environmental issues, as some other countries have done.

Note the key word: "might".

A five-second search on my part finds:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/wil...noids-strengthen-protection-for-britains-bees

where it says:

"It now seems likely that the EU’s temporary ban on the use of some neonicotinoid insecticides on some crops will at last be extended to a ban on all neonicotinoids on all crops," says Peter Melchett, policy director at the Soil Association.

The new findings build on the 2015 conclusions and are widely expected to result in tighter restrictions, limiting neonicotinoid use to glasshouses. However, the UK has a history of opposing and granting exemptions to existing bans on the use of neonicotinoid pesticides.

sodalime and Burndenpark like this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Of course he did. It's just not presented on this forum, that's all.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I cannot do better than the experts employed by the BBC.

As the article says, the UK introduced the Clean Air Act "in 1956, long before we joined the European Community". It is perfectly possible for non-EU countries to take the initiative, as the article points out. With 28 member states to satisfy, the EU is rarely in the vanguard of new developments.

lanokia likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is a preferred choice for most people.
    Yes I agree.
    Agreed with reservation.
    Agreed and neither will Labour, they had three chances and blew it completely.
    The two party system with the Lib dems in the background have all been found out. How to solve the problem will require a Leader the likes of which we currently do not have in the House of clowns.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you actually take a closer look at the "policy details" of Farage's band of clowns for brexit you realize just how ridiculous it is.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Hey you! Use your own descriptor, I claim copy write on all political clowns;)

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I understand that "experts" are no longer to be trusted. I presume tea leaves, the alignment of the stars and folk wisdom is the new "thing".

EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Do you know what? I honestly cant be *****.

lanokia likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Could it be any worse than the Westminster circus?

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

13. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Then write to your MP and complain that the conservative party are refusing to allow a vote to settle the matter.

sodalime likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But they did allow a vote to settle the matter ... back in 2014.

Maybe we should stop kidding ourselves that referenda 'settle matters'.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A song for the remainer party

lexus300 likes this.