1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European Day of Languages

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by katielou83, Jul 25, 2011.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all

After some expert advice ready for next term.

I've been asked to organise an off time table day of activities for the whole school to celebrate the European Day of Languages at the end of September.

Does anyone have any suggestions of successful activities that would fit with this, or advice on where to look for ideas?

So far I've thought about having the children work in mixed age groups and rotating around activities. Perhaps each teacher or small groups of teachers could focus on a country / language and plan related activities - phrases, songs, dances, food etc. Was thinking at lunch time we could run a film club and in the afternoon we could have a European football tournament with the children using sports phrases in the target languages and making flags for it etc.

I have seen some really fab ideas where schools called on people in the local community from different cultures to come in as experts and provide fun activities with the teachers. Think this is a lovely idea but I am new to the school so don't have any links within the community yet and it all has to be sorted by the second week back!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Happy hols everyone!

KL x

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter