1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European Countries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MathTC, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Maths/Chemistry/Physics. All three. How many years university study do you have for each? The Canadian college of teachers for each province have some of the highest standard for registration in the world. Unless you have a couple of undergraduate degrees to cover the three (perhaps you do) you certainly couldn't register with the BC college of teachers. England is the opposite end of the scale to Canada and standards are rock bottom. If you even stepped into a university physics/chemistry or maths department you can teach those subjects in England. Just surprised to hear a Canadian, with the high standards for registration in Canada, claim to be able to teach all three.

2. MathTC

MathTC New commenter

My undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) is in mathematics with a minor in chemistry. I have a Masters degree (M.Sc.) in mathematics also. My teacher education (B.Ed.) is in math and chemistry. In total 7 years of schooling.

In Canada we are allowed to get qualifications to teach a subject if we have enough university courses in the subject. I have enough physics from my bachelors of science so I have an additional teachable of physics.

I can register with the BC college of teachers and am currently registered with the Ontario College of Teachers.

JL48 likes this.
  3. MathTC

MathTC New commenter

Here’s a snapshot of my teaching license.

Attached Files:

4. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

In Portugal and have same disposable income as I had when I worked in Switzerland.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

But I'm guessing your school is in the minority there

6. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Yes, I believe so.

7. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

So, just to throw a little spanner in the works, what will the situation be re EU passports and work permits for UK citizens post Brexit? I have dual nationality. Will that give me the edge over solely UK candidates? (Sorry. Don’t like to get political, but just wondering ... )

8. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

My guess is yes it would. An Irish passport is going to be gold dust. The other way it could go is that actually US, Canadian, Aussie, etc teachers will suddenly get more of a look in as even lower tier schools in places like Spain become more accustomed to having to go through the process of applying for work permits, which they will need to do for British passport holders.

We've been told by the school and Spanish politicians* that those already here who have their residency papers in place will be unaffected, even by a no deal situation. This should mean we could move schools within Spain with no issues, but not to other EU countries without joining the back of the queue. In 8 years I can apply for Spanish citizenship and get the kids EU passports. I may well do this for them, if not for myself.

*I can't help but think as I write this, despite knowing many trustworthy and honourable Spaniards, of this exchange in The Princess Bride:
    Inigo Montoya: But I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
    Man in Black: That's very comforting. But I'm afraid you'll just have to wait.
    Inigo Montoya: I hate waiting. I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
    Man in Black: No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

9. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Almost certainly.

I do wonder how EU schools are going to recruit with all the uncertainty this year, and how it's looking for British citizens currently employed in the EU. Personally, I am grateful to be outside it right now.

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

We already saw it last recruiting season. A good number of schools avoided hiring UK nationals due to uncertainty about future visas.

11. MathTC

MathTC New commenter

Does anyone have any good recommendations for Facebook groups to join?

12. tb9605

I got an insight into this today - our school director used to be a Principal in Sweden at a massive chain there (38+schools). She said that they regularly employed Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians (she really likes Canadian teachers!) and had, in her words, "a red carpet" arrangement with the Swedish immigration authorities and could get a visa for a teacher from those countries within two weeks. The Spanish branch of that chain - for whom we both work - is sending up a test balloon with a US teacher right now, to see how long that process takes and how much it costs.

TeacherMan2019 likes this.
  13. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Or they could just ask one of the various American or IB schools in Spain who employ US citizens and Canadians . . . but what do I know ?

14. tb9605

I think the point was that those schools will have existing relationships with immigration that allow them to fast track the process - as our group doesn't, it'll take longer.

That said, when I was in Madrid, I was friendly with 3 teachers from one of the American schools, and all of them had Irish passports! So don't assume anything where Spain is concerned!

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's important to remember that poor paying EU international schools aren't exactly taking their pick from a large pool of candidates so for these schools, Brexit or not, they will hire whoever they can. They won't be put off by visa application processes because they can't afford to be