1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

European computer driving licence - any good or to bump up school results?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jammy06, Mar 27, 2016.

1. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

The question is in the title really.

Is this course useful for my son (the school are taking them off timetable for 4 days to complete is) or is it just a way for schools to improve their results?

Many thanks for your help on this one (I'm Humanities!)

Jammy

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Taught that way, it is about the schools results.

3. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I have to agree with Wanet. OCR Nationals in 4 days!

Schools week

4. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

Both.

Your son will inevitably pass the qualification and it will contribute to his 'Progress 8'.

Your son will inevitably pass the qualification and it will contribute to the schools 'Progress 8' figures

Your son will inevitably pass the qualification and BCS will financially benefit once more.

5. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. So as I suspected/knew the qualification is for the benefit of the school. (Oh, to go back to the days when we taught for the love of the subject).

If I take that on the chin, is there any benefit for my son? Will I be doing him a disservice by not allowing him to do it.

The letter is great, it says that if you don't want your child to do the course, return the attached slip otherwise we will put him in for the course. The letter does not have an attached slip! Oversight, I think not.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

As it may be of some future benefit, I would tend to do it.

7. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

Thank you, will follow your advice. Just didn't want to put him in a useless course that would not benefit him.

8. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I think the other question is what is he missing during these 4 days off timetable - will this damage his grades in other subjects that may be heavily into revision at this point. Chances are he is getting 7 gcse's and thus they need another to get the 8 - it will be another qualification for him but the question is at what detriment if he is missing maths and english then I would kick up a fuss and throw it back into the schools court by saying why is this not being done when exams are finished for four days - a more sensible approach with no impact. As the results are instant (how many would of course come back to this) - I would also argue that trying to teach this in four days is very hard (I would suspect they are being taught to the test).
    Hope that helps - get all parents on board and say you will all do it when exams have finished (in teacher gain time - that may cause a bit of twitching from the school).

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It seems to be very similar to Functional Skills. I used to look down on courses like that until I experienced DiDA and Cambridge Nationals, and then I realised that because they are examined, at least the students have to be able to independently reproduce the things they're asked to do. My experience of portfolio-based qualifications, like Nationals and DiDA, is that if I ask students how their things work, or ask them to reproduce them, they haven't got a clue.

10. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I think that depends on how well they are taught I would argue that if they learnt this in 4 days and then you asked them to do it again in two months most would not be able to as it is crammed much like some of the centres that deliver the Nationals etc. As with any teaching build the skills and get them to apply them and they will be able to do it however if you are cramming for an exam or course work the knowledge rarely sticks...this is not just the case for ICT it happens in all exams - ask pupils to answer their history exam in six months they will not remember much of it as it is crammed knowledge.

11. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

Tony, he is in year 10. The letter asked you to opt out otherwise he had to do it. You had to return the attached reply slip. There wasn't one. The letter arrived after the term had broken up and they are sitting it th first 4 days back, which doesn't give parents a chance to ask for a reply slip. It all seems a bit unethical to me, which is why I'm not very happy about it. Goodness knows what they will do if they opt out, they didn't mention that in the letter?