1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Europe salaries compared

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MayaJones, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Hi,
    I would like to compare NET salaries in Europe. After all tax and pension deductions, how much goes into your account each month in euros? Also mention accommodation costs please.

Switzerland NET salary 3230 euros

Accomodation 850 including bills (France)

Thanks!!

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I think you also need to state whether the salary includes management / responsibility allowances and whether the teacher is at the top, middle or bottom of the school's payspine.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Thanks 576

Salary without extra responsibility payments.

4. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

Madrid NET salary 2057
    Teacher no responsibilities
    Rent 800

MayaJones likes this.
  5. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

I should mention that the compulsory Swiss Health Insurance costing 290 Euros per month, comes off of that figure of 3230 euros.

6. jayandkaymawson

jayandkaymawson New commenter

Netherlands - teacher no responsibilities 2600 euros salary
    950 rent 2 bed apartment

Spain - teacher no responsibilities
    1850 euro salary
    650 rent 2 bed duplex

7. mcguic35

mcguic35 New commenter

Paris primary teacher net with no responsibility, 1720 euro. Awful!

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Wow, i thought the on in Madrid was bad enough, that one in Paris is just simply terrible

9. dumbbells66

@mcguic35 can i ask, do you have to pay rent out of that?

10. mcguic35

mcguic35 New commenter

@dumbbells66 Yes need to pay rent, which as you can imagine is expensive in a capital city! The salary has no perks apart from lunch vouchers (which by law they need to give) worth €9 for every school day.

11. dumbbells66

12. kdec

kdec New commenter

In terms of French salaries that's the bottom of what a qualified teacher in a French school can expect. I was on between €700 and a 1000 more than that a month in Paris and easily earned €300-500 extra in private tuition. You also have to pay tax out of that €1720, only social security is automatically deducted. There are schools that pay more than €3000 a month but it's still cheaper to work in Switzerland and live in France than it is to live and work in Paris on a single income.

13. For Netherlands - how much is the medical insurance? I am told that is something to factor in! If I may ask, how many years experience do you have to go $2600?

14. jayandkaymawson

The insurance is about 100 a month and I had been teaching for 6 years so top of mainscale.

15. puggerchris

puggerchris New commenter

Netherlands NET 3900 Euro
    No responsibility, top of scale
    1500 rent, 4 bed house
    110 per adult medical

16. jayandkaymawson

I should point out that my school was a DIPS school paying ‘normal’ Dutch teaching wages with no perks as seen by puggerchris some international schools offer far higher wages and many more perks eg gym membership inclusive healthcare and such some even offer relocation allowance but other do not so check the package!

17. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Wow that's impressive!

18. dumbbells66

This is going back nearly 10 years in Ukraine for a basic classroom teacher:
    Monthly Net salary €2600
    Rent: zero
    Utilities: zero
    Worldwide medical cover: free
    Plus other great benefits.

JL48 likes this.
  19. steluta

steluta New commenter

Switzerland (not for profit school) take home would be from CHF 6500 upwards(no responsibility allowance). Rent at 1700+/ month(small apartment, 1 bedroom; add 500 for each additional bedroom) health insurance 300/month. Still able to save a bit.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. yasf

yasf New commenter

Turkey - Classroom teacher:
    Monthly net salary: €2850
    Rent / Health Insurance included in package.
    Flight home every 2 years.

T0nyGT likes this.