1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Europe query

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by praha, Oct 14, 2017.

1. praha

praha New commenter

Hi
    I have been looking into teaching in an international school. I would prefer to remain in Europe but having seen some recent vacancies and done research, there seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions about quality of certain schools.

Does anyone have positive feedback about working in schools in Eastern Europe , Scandinavia and the Netherlands?

Thank you

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

For eastern europe check out CEESA.org, theres not one dodgy school on their list...although this might be because their aren't any british curriculum schools on their.

3. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

There are plenty of good schools in Eastern Europe. I'm in Romania and it's nice. Good schools in Bucharest and Cluj. I know people in Budapest which is also a great city. Poland is getting more expensive though. I know someone who worked in Ukraine and like it very much too.

4. dumbbells66

I worked in Ukraine, and i now call Poland home. Ukraine is great but please please please avoid the British school like the plague. Poland is nowhere near an expensive place, it is cheep as hell to live, and is a great place to be.....just a bit of a crazy government at the moment, determined to ruin the country...but if you are coming from the UK you will already know what thats like ;)

5. tb9605

tb9605 New commenter

Some current colleagues of mine (in Spain) were previously working at a school in The Hague. I'd interviewed there actually and was very impressed, but they said that - despite being a childless couple - they found they couldn't afford to live there on two salaries. Apparently the cost of living in the Netherlands is very high. I would imagine that the same is also true of Scandanavia.

6. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Just echoing @tigi really, but Romania is great. I make twice what I earned in Spain and cost of living is lower. School is great and I love the countryside. Cheap flights to UK and three hours in the air means staying in touch with friends and family is easier here than any where else I've been, if that's important to you.

7. 34knockthedoor

34knockthedoor New commenter

So you earn 4000 Euros in Romaina since twice 2000 Spanish salary is 4000? Yeh right. As if you'd earn 4 grand in Romania.

8. dumbbells66

To be fair, earning double what you would in Spain, and live in a country with a cheaper cost of living isnt a particularly difficult thing to do :)

9. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

It is if you have a desire to be only three hours from the U.K. @dumbbells66 or if you enjoy European culture, need somewhere a partner can live and work etc

lottee1000 and Alice K like this.
  10. dumbbells66

I meant in Europe, especially eastern europe. When i left Spain, my pay more than doubled, tripled when you count the benefits package. My teaching hours were reduced by half, and i was less than 3 hours from the UK. There are plenty of places where this would be the case when you compare them to working in Spain

11. Teacherabroad1234

Teacherabroad1234 New commenter

The Netherlands is very expensive you are looking at around 1200-1400 for a decent 2 bed flat in the cities, petrol costs are high at about 1e62/l and food is high. The Netherlands is a very different country to how it is perceived and whilst the school I was in was lovely life is not necessarily great there is a lot of racism against all immigrants - even the brits.

I would say that imagine London prices plus higher taxes.

12. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I work at one of the CEESA schools that dumbbellss66 mentioned in Budapest. I agree that the schools that are part of this organization are all good schools. I've also lived in Germany and the Netherlands and these places are both expensive, and since there will be no accommodation allowance a big chunk of the salary will immediately be gone each month. Despite this though, I find it difficult to believe that a teaching couple with no kids couldn't manage on 2 salaries. This couple must have spent a lot of money, eating out, traveling etc. I know families with kids in the Netherlands that are managing on one salary. Of course they live carefully and don't have much left over, but it is possible. The advantage of living in places like the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Scandinavian countries is that you are stlll paying into a welfare state and with that comes some security and protection and pension. Its all good and well being in Eastern Europe with a tax free salary and no pension or protection outside of the school. Having lived in Germany and NL and had experience in both countries of what support is available for you and your family it is hard to put a value on this. NL does have the tax break for foreign workers available for 8 years at the moments and tax free tuition is a part of this. In other Western European countries, tuition is often taxed, which takes another chunk out of the salary.

13. willow78

willow78 New commenter

Are you working in Warsaw at the British School?

14. dumbbells66

God no...you wont catch me working in a British school. I work in Africa, but i call Poland home now, as thats where i go when im not working

15. dumbbells66

@karel what do you mean by

16. willow78

willow78 New commenter

Fair enough I did a year there, loved Poland and Warsaw.

17. 34knockthedoor

34knockthedoor New commenter

I went to Poland on Ryanair to a place near ukraine. I went to Ukraine to see the girls and they were well fit. But I didn't like the place in Poland that I saw. No doubt there are international schools in Poland paying the dollar and you can save a wad of cash but it's drib and drab Poland is and f cold in winter like Budapest....yeh I lived in Bud in the 90s for almost 2 years, Nice houses in Buda....Pest is a different kettle of fish altogether though. If I could live in Hungary an work in Austria now that would be a wad of cash savings.

18. dumbbells66

Its awesome. I will be getting my Polish passport soon so i can keep my European citizenship.

19. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I mean that your whole existence in that country isn't in the hands of the school. You have things like long term sickness benefits, disability, unemployment, labor laws in place etc. In these European countries its very common for the teacher to choose to stay there long term, often retire there and have all the same entitlements as the local people.

20. dumbbells66