1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Euro Election decisions.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Skeoch, May 14, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

For the first time for many, many years I am struggling to decide how to vote. I am convinced that Brexit is a bad move; that at least we should have a new referendum. I'm also increasingly convinced that both Labour and Conservatives would take us to Brexit, and that both are managing the process badly (although I doubt that anyone could run it really well).
    Now if Brexit happens the Euro election will have little practical impact as the MEPs will barely have taken their seats before they are sent home. So my vote in this case is a matter of signalling that I don't want Brexit and I do want a new referendum.
    However pundits suggest there's perhaps a 30% chance that Brexit won't happen. In that case the MEPs we elect through the proportional representation system will have a significant influence on the future direction of the EU and of the UK.
    Manifestly I can't consider voting Labour or Conservative, nor of course UKIP or Brexit Party, in the expectation of Brexit. To cast a vote for any of these four would indicate I support Brexit. However if Brexit doesn't happen I think the parties most damaging to the EU would be UKIP and Brexit.
    So now I look at the minor parties. I think I have to discount Independents. So ChangeUK, Green or LibDem? All support Remain; all seem as if they would be at least mildly competent in the European Parliament; but all three are competing for votes like mine.
    Then I wonder what effect the results will have on the thinking of the two main parties and their leadership, and whether the election will therefore change policy in Westminster.
    So I am very undecided.
    What do you think I should do - and why?

EmanuelShadrack and jubilee like this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Vote for the Brexit Party. Every other party is dead in the water and they know they are.

Jesmond12, alexei_yanovich and blazer like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Ah yes, the party without policies. .... and a mysterious source of money.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

you have articulated exactly my position. I narrowed it down to the same 3 parties. I made my decision based on this part of the Northwest being a farming area and chose the party that I thought would pick up most Remain votes from those who usually vote Tory or Labour.

EmanuelShadrack and cissy3 like this.
  5. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

Lib Dem for me - they are the furthest ahead in the polls of the remain parties and I like that they at least came right out and said they want to stop brexit. They also at least tried to work as one with the Greens and Change.UK but were rebuffed by them.

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It's worrying.

I think that the pro-remain parties including SNP, and Plaid (and some of the Labour vote) will split the vote overall, but the Brexiteers will predominantly vote for the Brexit Party (if recent polls are to be believed)

Then they'll be crowing about how popular Brexit is (as usual)

But I suppose, without Proportional Representation and all that, it'll be down to your particular area.

[​IMG]

East Midlands Region - 5 MEPs
    Eastern Region - 7 MEPs
    London Region - 8 MEPs
    North East Region - 3 MEPs
    North West Region - 8 MEPs
    Northern Ireland - 3 MEPs
    Scotland - 6 MEPs
    South East Region - 10 MEPs
    South West Region - 6 MEPs
    Wales - 4 MEPs
    West Midlands Region - 7 MEPs
    Yorkshire and the Humber - 6 MEPs

Edit: These are the current incumbents obvs.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. ConvivialCatMan

ConvivialCatMan New commenter

Vote for the same old same. Then you can all have a good old moan when nothing ever changes again.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

Euro elections use Proportional Representation. Thats is why UKIP has always done well. At the last election they had 17 MEPs but 14 of them are now Brexit Party MEPs.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I've already voted by post, I can confirm that the Lib-Dems have at least one vote round my way (I'm hoping for a lot more - I actually taught one of those on their list! And they were an excellent student.)

10. LondonCanary

11. FrankWolley

12. FrankWolley

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are BREXIT party posters out around my school

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

There are really only two parties - The Brexit Party or Lib Dems. Voting for any other party is a wasted vote. I would like to vote for the Greens but by doing so I would be giving a vote to the Brexit Party so I would be better voting for Lib Dems.

The Brexit Party seem to be ahead in the polls. My concern is that if Lib Dems won and Brexit was ceased there would be uproar from those who voted (and won their vote) to leave the EU. It's actually becoming another referendum in itself. We appear to be in a right bloody pickle.

cissy3 and dleaf12 like this.
  15. FrankWolley

Along with those of all the other parties standing there, I trust... (Otherwise I'd let those other parties know and get them to complain!)

16. FrankWolley

I voted Lib Dem as they are the main anti-Brexit party. But I don't expect them to actually win...But even if they did, MEPs cannot stop Brexit on their own...

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Even if the Lib Dems won every single seat, they would not be able to stop Brexit, because it is a European election. They would have to win a general election to stop Brexit, and that is far beyond the realms of fantasy.

border_walker likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

But it would be a good indication of the way people are thinking now.

19. LondonCanary

I suppose the same applies if the Brexit Party take a majority of seats.

amoral_savoy_mink likes this.
  20. alexei_yanovich

alexei_yanovich New commenter

The Brexit party to honor the country's 2016 decision and send the message again to Brussels.

amoral_savoy_mink likes this.