1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EU - X000000 : Gulf - 0

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Simple question: why aren't the Gulf States taking any Syrian refugees. Literally, zero!
    [​IMG]
    And why is Europe getting so much criticism for not taking them all in (and everyone else who wants to hitch a ride in), when these rich Gulf States receive virtually no criticism? I'm genuinely interested in knowing!

maurice-r likes this.
  2. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Would you want to live in Saudi?

ScotSEN and Vladimir like this.
  3. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Because they don't want their lands turned into a war zone.

Memphismojo likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Our leaders are whimps and will not admit the true cost (not money) in taking them in.

5. Treefayre2

After the ebb....

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Because they don't want their society to be fundamentally transformed (and not for the better)?

Vladimir and hermitcrabbe like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also perhaps because living in Saudi might be even worse than living in Syria. I'd rather trust a leaky boat over the Med than chance my arm (and hand and major organs) in Saudi.

ScotSEN likes this.
  8. Treefayre2

Europe will soon change. I'm sure those Syrian (and other economic migrants) will feel well at home in the future European emirates:=)

Vladimir and hermitcrabbe like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

10. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

This is what the bleeding heart liberals do not realize or are unwilling to admit. I guess I will have to get a leaky boat and move - the trouble is - where?

Vladimir likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

12. grumpydogwoman

Why the criticism on the one hand and lack thereof on the other?

Well, because the EU probably puts hospitality and generosity of spirit as something of a core value whereas nobody expect the Spanish Inquisition. Or rather nobody expects the Saudis to do anything humanitarian because that would be a first.

WE certainly can't criticise them because we don't want to upset them.

ScotSEN likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah so Israel is bravely resisting 'national suicide' [really? fascinating level of debate] but oh lets beat on the Gulf States for doing exactly the same thing.

And I'm fairly sure the Gulf States have been doing their bit for refugees in the first-border nations.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I haven't beat on the Gulf States at all. Their policy, based on realism and national self-interest, makes more sense than the EU's (if the EU has a refugee policy other than what Angela Merkel wills at any given moment).

And I don't believe that Israel has any obligation to take in 'refugees', most of whom are fit, military age young men, from a country which has been trying to destroy it since 1948. Further, I don't accept that an implication from the LA Times or anyone else that Israel has such an obligation is made in good faith.

Vladimir likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

Well, we don't make policy for the Israelis or Saudis. But, if they won't help the needy (for whatever reason of their own), it just means there are more for the EU to rescue.

16. Vladimir

17. Vladimir

As a genuine refugee fleeing from war and all the evils that come with it, yes! Why not? It's a rich, warm country that could provide for me and it would even suit my religion if I were a Syrian Muslim, so integration would be easy. The key word here is 'genuine'. I doubt an economic migrant would want to because he would be more interested in the freebies and push-over governments of the EU.

18. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

At least not to the general public.

19. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

The latter I believe.

To one of the refugee camps? Mind you, assuming you are a man, you would wouldn't be short of Syrian women complaining to you about being abandoned by their men.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I do get where you're coming from Art... I've expressed my confusion over issues such as these elsewhere and indeed I've posted about the Gulf States myself on OldOpinion.

I'm not saying you are beating on them, just this thread in general. And maybe they deserve to be beat on. I have no grievance either way. My point is... according to my understanding... refugees are supposed to seek asylum in the first safe country they arrive at. Well Jordan and Turkey seem to qualify. Lebanon and Iraq maybe less so. But Israel is a safe country. Sure Syria's government has not been friendly [to say the least] towards Israel but that doesn't mean her people aren't. After all we have Iranian refugees and their families here. Far as I know the overwhelming majority are settled well, the government of Iran hasn't shifted their liking for us.

As for your final line.Israel is just a country, open to criticism, censure and praise just like any other.